Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 422 of 478 FirstFirst ... 322372412417418419420421422423424425426427432472 ... LastLast
Results 6,316 to 6,330 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

I watched Epic last night. 7/10

Balupu.......

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Joseph Cotten leads in this Hitchcock suspense story as a killer of rich widows who escapes police surveillance by returning to his long lost family in a small Californian town. The family are overjoyed to welcome him back, completely unaware that he is wanted for three murders on the other side of the country.
    Gradually, however, certain traces of his murderous character come to light when detectives arrive in town having him marked down as a suspect. The problem with the film is that it loses the 'did he, didn't he' aspect early on in the film so that we know that he's the killer and not another man, also being hunted elsewhere as a possible suspect. The acting is, as one might expect from Hitchcock, first rate and the film gets 8/10.

http://youtu.be/KShiFuerkCk
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 07-14-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Spring Breakers, the new Harmony Korine movie.

3.9/5 stars.
    Last edited by quidoftullamore; 07-14-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    La felicidad es interior,
    no exterior; por lo tanto,
    no depende de lo que tenemos,
    sino de lo que somos.

- Pablo Neruda

I watched Dorian Gray and it really disappointed me. Movie ruined the original story and the characters. 4/10

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Saw Monster University with my daughters (8 and 10). Not bad, but we were all a little disappointed that it was a so short on incipient nihilism.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 07-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Saw Monster University with my daughters (8 and 10). Not bad, but we were all a little disappointed that it was a so short on incipient nihilism.
    Was it the 8 or 10-year-old who said that? And how did the other respond?
    Last edited by Calidore; 07-20-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Celeste and Jesse Forever 8/10 I really like Rashida Jones. A sweet and low-key indie that explores the dissolution of a young woman's first important relationship and her coming to terms with it's loss.

Fruitvale Station 10/10 The last day in the life of a young man.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ugetsu, by Kenji Mizoguchi. 9/10, a really good film.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Scenes From A Marriage, by Bergman. I'm not sure how to rate it, but I can say it's not one of my favorite Bergman.

Animal Kingdom 8 maybe 8.5/10

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Was it the 8 or 10-year-old who said that? And how did the other respond?
    Actually Nell (10) felt more strongly than Grace (8) about the lack of incipient nihilism. Grace was of the opinion that, on the whole, the piece was played straight without the usual car crashes and bloodletting that has marked the decline of the US cinema with the onset of incipient nihilism and its worldwide exploitation.

Me, I felt that by definition 'incipience' covers the concept of 'initiation', so 'onset' was redundant. But kids today, eh? Their thinking is sloppy and so is their sentence construction. I blame the parents.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 07-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Actually Nell (10) felt more strongly than Grace (8) about the lack of incipient nihilism. Grace was of the opinion that, on the whole, the piece was played straight without the usual car crashes and bloodletting that has marked the decline of the US cinema with the onset of incipient nihilism and its worldwide exploitation.

Me, I felt that by definition 'incipience' covers the concept of 'initiation', so 'onset' was redundant. But kids today, eh? Their thinking is sloppy and so is their sentence construction. I blame the parents.

I watched Eraserhead with the lad the other night. I have seen if before in the 80s, but, except for a few scenes - I'd had a few and my mate insisted even though I was falling asleep - I couldn't remember it.

So we watched it, and I now have an "I watched Eraserhead All the Way Through" badge, and membership to the Pretentious Crap Film Club. I'm still an admirer of Henry's hair though.

I saw "Hannah Arendt" last night. There's not much action; the life of the mind is not quite as "cinematic" as cow-punching. It did appear as if chain smoking cigarettes makes one smarter -- they appear to have worked for Ms. Arendt, who chain smoked throughout the film. I was going to take up smoking and philosophizing (thinking it might help me in my arguments on the "Religious Literature" board), but my girlfriend told me that she wouldn't hang out with me any more if I start smoking.

The movie focuses on Arendt's coverage of the Adolf Eichmann trial for "The New Yorker". It was in her New yorker articles that she coined the phrase, "The banality of evil." The movie used only old TV footage from the actual trial to show Eichmann in his glass caged defendant's dock. It was creepy. Eichmann looked like a banal beaurocrat, but an evil, self centered one. "I was just following orders," was Eichmann's consistant refrain, and, indeed, he appeared to have no personal animosity toward the hundreds of thousands of Jews he sent to death (he was in charge of organizing transportation to the Concentration camps).

Arendt's articles (which I haven't read) focused on the breakdown of morality -- on how in trying times people stop "thinking" -- the ultimate sin for Arendt. This was true not only of Eichmann, but of some Jewish leaders who were complicit in sending their brethren to their deaths, as Arendt reported. The combination of blaming Jewish leaders, and reporting on Eichman as being a banal beaurocrat instead of a monster threw Arendt into a firestorm of criticism from the Jewish community in both New York and Israel. It probably didn't help that she had been an acolyte (and lover) of Martin Heidegger prior to the war, and that Heidegger had joined the Nazi party.

Despite it's non-cinematic themes, the movie is well done. Smokers might want to wait for the video, so they can puff away while watching.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 07-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I saw "Hannah Arendt" last night. There's not much action; the life of the mind is not quite as "cinematic" as cow-punching. It did appear as if chain smoking cigarettes makes one smarter -- they appear to have worked for Ms. Arendt, who chain smoked throughout the film. I was going to take up smoking and philosophizing (thinking it might help me in my arguments on the "Religious Literature" board), but my girlfriend told me that she wouldn't hang out with me any more if I start smoking.
    Camus is shown smoking in almost every picture I've seen of him. It is strange that there still remains to extent this association of smoking with sophistication when smoking has to be one of the most stupid things a person can do. I'm a smoker and I experience deep shame lighting up in public.

I checked an Arendt book out of the library once. It was really tough and I ended up quitting it out of intellectual laziness.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut