Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 421 of 478 FirstFirst ... 321371411416417418419420421422423424425426431471 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,315 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    The last couple years haven't been great for American cinema, but the past 15 years have been overall amazing and I'd put the last decade and a half up against any other in the history of film.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy88 View Post
    The last couple years haven't been great for American cinema, but the past 15 years have been overall amazing and I'd put the last decade and a half up against any other in the history of film.
    I think you always have to give it a little while for the cream to rise, just like one can't make an accurate assessment of the quality of today's music from the current Billboard Top 100. Or, for that matter, the state of literature from the current NYT bestseller list.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I saw ''All that jazz'' yesterday...Score: 9/10
    I tend to think of myself as a natural disaster.
    If you really piss me off,naturally there be a disaster ...

Sparta, Tennessee (where dead ends go to die)
    Finally saw "The Da Vinci Code". Despite the "is it true" hoopla, I thought it was a good movie taken at face value.

Rate: 8 out of 10.
    Last edited by chris_eriksson; 07-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.

I saw Hitler's Children. An excellent documentary on the reaction of the children of people like Hoess, Goering, Himmler, in coming to terms as Germans with the hidden reality of the Holocaust. Available on Netflix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    I saw Hitler's Children. An excellent documentary on the reaction of the children of people like Hoess, Goering, Himmler, in coming to terms as Germans with the hidden reality of the Holocaust. Available on Netflix.
    If you haven't seen Downfall yet I would highly recommend it.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

The Woman in Black (1989)

This earlier version of the film cannot be faulted on historical detail with very high production values to the fore. Where it fails is in being too long
    and repetitive. Unlike the most recent version, that relies far too heavily on grand guignol for its effects, it has the quality of eeriness characteristic of the stories of M.R.James where the fear lies as much in the subconscious of the reader as in overtly frightening depiction.
    It's unfortunate that the story is strung out to meet the required length of a major feature film whereas the most recent version overdoes the in your face frighteners. This highlights the difference between good and mediocre direction where getting the balance between two extremes is essential to making the best of a story.

Here's a filmed scene from Susan Hill's novel:

http://youtu.be/8wg4jKt3NIw

Here's one from an M.R.James story which was written long before :

http://youtu.be/DmN68aNnLqI
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I remember seeing this excellent BBC adaptation of an M.R.James ghost story when it was first broadcast.
    It was so good that I've posted all four episodes. It's a great pity that the BBC has gone totally downhill
    and no longer produces such professional material.
    If you are of a particularly nervous disposition, you might prefer to give it a miss.
    As a TV presentation it gets 10/10.

http://youtu.be/F1HlNqdGpvI

http://youtu.be/r7i9BacWMvM

http://youtu.be/-JaisM9X7bY

http://youtu.be/5a1wZ5N7ZHM
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 07-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I watched Next Three Days last night and enjoyed it. Russel Crowe performed very well and it was a good thriller movie. 7/10

Baby Face Nelson (1957)

During the 1950s, film studios were beginning to feel the onslaught of television and among the methods with which they tried to compete was recourse to films based on the gangster movies of the 1930s: a formula that had been very successful at the box office. Baby Face Nelson is a typical example starring the diminutive Mickey Rooney as a psychopathic gang leader wanted for murder and a series of bank robberies. Directed by Don Siegel of 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers' fame, this film is essentially nonsensical rubbish that not only takes a liberty with the actual events but completely rewrites them and adds an impossibly melodramatic ending. The background jazz music has nothing to do with 1933 when the film is set but would fit well into a 1940s gangland movie.

http://youtu.be/KDt0JpZ-qc0

No Down Payment (1957)

This curious piece of social commentary was directed by Martin Ritt, known for his 'un-American activities' during the McCarthy era. It's therefore not surprising that this story concerns cracks in the American dream as a young couple get a mortgage on a new house in a model middle class area and find that beneath the surface of the post WWII boom there's a deal of discontent. Ritt is too good a director to go over the top about the human weaknesses displayed in the film and there is none of the hand-wringing and self-disgust that was the hallmark of the 'crazy-mixed-up-kid' scenario that was a contemporary Hollywood theme. So it's aimed at adults rather than teenagers and is effective in its measured and believable handling of the story.

http://youtu.be/jejGeZ_BiP4

8/10

Blog Entries
    P. J. Hogan's Mental: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655416/

I think the message was that some people are more mental than others. The way the theme song to the Sound of Music was performed at the beginning convinced me they were all delightfully mental.

Score: 9/10 -- ah, why not? 10/10

I watched Mama with my cousins and didn't enjoy it. 4/10

something something........

Trance