Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 417 of 477 FirstFirst ... 317367407412413414415416417418419420421422427467 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 7142

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    If I Were You: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587309/

Score: 10/10

A woman by accident finds her husband with his lover at a restaurant. She follows the lover to her apartment and establishs a relationship which leads her to a whole new world. Very unusual, funny and something I wouldn't mind seeing again.
    Last edited by YesNo; 06-05-2013 at 12:47 AM.

I've watched People Like Us recently and really liked it. Chris Pine performed quite well in the film. I’ll look forward to see his more films. 8/10

Blog Entries
    Watched 'Warm Bodies' I like zombies and Shakespeare. A bit of both one more than the other. I enjoyed it, I love John Malcovitch.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I saw another movie of Chris Pine last night, This Means War. It was not as good as People Like Us, but I enjoyed it anyway. 7/10

I have just watched The Clue of the Silver Key, one of a series of B pictures based on crime stories by Edgar Wallace and which were a major feature of early 1960s British cinema, The actors were all stock performers whose names will mean nothing to US film goers but are instantly recognisable to aficionados of British B movies. Many of these films have achieved a perverse cult status because of their low production values. This film is a prime example because, and I am not joking, the butler did it.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I have just watched The Clue of the Silver Key, one of a series of B pictures based on crime stories by Edgar Wallace and which were a major feature of early 1960s British cinema, The actors were all stock performers whose names will mean nothing to US film goers but are instantly recognisable to aficionados of British B movies. Many of these films have achieved a perverse cult status because of their low production values. This film is a prime example because, and I am not joking, the butler did it.
    You know, that probably counts as a spoiler, because nobody would actually expect that.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    You know, that probably counts as a spoiler, because nobody would actually expect that.
    Ah, but it's not difficult to spot the culprit because, while all the other suspects are tense and edgy, the butler is remarkably relaxed and jovial until unmasked. The interest, insofar as there is any, lies in how he was able to do it.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    I watched a Michael winterbottom film called 'The Trip'. It advertised that I would be laughing all of the way through.
    I thought a few moments of it were amusing, but it did show lovely footage of the British countryside, and some lovely food. I have since realised that a lot of it was improvised, which changed my impressions of it entirely.
    7/10 for me now, before maybe a 6.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    I watched a Michael winterbottom film called 'The Trip'. It advertised that I would be laughing all of the way through.
    I thought a few moments of it were amusing, but it did show lovely footage of the British countryside, and some lovely food. I have since realised that a lot of it was improvised, which changed my impressions of it entirely.
    7/10 for me now, before maybe a 6.
    I liked this film, it takes quite a bit of talent to improvise and it was cool to 'travel' through England on a poetry/writer tour.

Blog Entries
    Iron Man 3, I liked it, he's not my favorite superhero but good. Pepper Potts was good in it and Ben Kingsley's character kinda surprised me, maybe because I am not a genius when it comes to the comic books. Way better than 2. My son loved it so I give it 8/10...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Cash on Demand (1961)

This black and white film from Hammer studios concerns a clever provincial bank robbery by a confidence trickster posing as a security officer from the head office of the bank's associated insurance company. Allowing for the unlikely scenario, it provides some tense moments as the con man tricks the prim and proper manager into helping him. Bravo performances from Andre Morrel and Peter Cushing with good supporting parts from the bank staff make for an enjoyable 80 minutes viewing.

7/10

I have just watched for the second time this week a 3 hour documentary called What Happened on the Moon.

Absolutely fascinating and pretty damning evidence from professionals that the moon landings were faked. I remember watching the first 'landing' on TV as a youngster and saying out loud: 'But it's a film set !' Anyhow, the most fascinating section is part three dealing with the development of rocket technology in Germany and subsequently in the USA and USSR. The connection between Fritz Lang's film Frau im Mond and how it was used to inveigle Hitler's approval for funding the V2 project and its effect on the US Apollo programme is truly amazing. Because the film is exhaustive in highlighting impossibilities in the filmed moon landings, it must get a 10/10.
    There are a couple of questionable points in the documentary but there are plenty that aren't.

http://youtu.be/sKainIQiaKA
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 06-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I found "The Clue of the Silver Key" that Emil reviewed on YouTube. It seemed like I was watching a play. Although I knew from the review that the butler did it, I didn't see how until the end. Then it became obvious. Score: 5/10

I also saw "She Did Him Wrong", an old Mae West movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Done_Him_Wrong I understand this movie saved Paramount from bankruptcy. The movie could have been longer spending more time on the relationship between West and Grant. I've never seen Mae West before, but after seeing her I can see why many found her attractive. It was mainly the way she spoke. She seemed voluptuously overweight, but that may have been the preferred style of the 30s. She had all the good lines, like, "It takes two to get one in trouble."

Score: 8/10

Since it was 2 for $1 at the library, I also watched "Sexy Evil Genius": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Evil_Genius Unfortunately my mind was still on Lady Lou (Mae West) who seemed even more attractive to me while watching the two females in this movie: Miranda (Michelle Trachtenberg) was cute, but she seemed like a child compared to West, and Nikki, the "genius", (Katee Sackhoff) was too annoying to even compare her to West although Nikki had moments of generosity just as Lady Lou did.

Score: 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I found "The Clue of the Silver Key" that Emil reviewed on YouTube. It seemed like I was watching a play. Although I knew from the review that the butler did it, I didn't see how until the end. Then it became obvious. Score: 5/10

I also saw "She Did Him Wrong", an old Mae West movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Done_Him_Wrong I understand this movie saved Paramount from bankruptcy. The movie could have been longer spending more time on the relationship between West and Grant. I've never seen Mae West before, but after seeing her I can see why many found her attractive. It was mainly the way she spoke. She seemed voluptuously overweight, but that may have been the preferred style of the 30s. She had all the good lines, like, "It takes two to get one in trouble."

Score: 8/10

Since it was 2 for $1 at the library, I also watched "Sexy Evil Genius": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Evil_Genius Unfortunately my mind was still on Lady Lou (Mae West) who seemed even more attractive to me while watching the two females in this movie: Miranda (Michelle Trachtenberg) was cute, but she seemed like a child compared to West, and Nikki, the "genius", (Katee Sackhoff) was too annoying to even compare her to West although Nikki had moments of generosity just as Lady Lou did.

Score: 3/10
    Congratulations, you must be one of the few Americans who has seen a British B movie. The word you were looking for to describe the play-like quality of its presentation is 'stagy', which is a facet they all share and is what endears them to their many British followers as well as their nostalgia for a Britain that is no more.

The legendary Mae West is indeed voluptuously overweight, but it's all in the right places and her sexuality is very much in the viewer's face. Noted for her risqué sayings, she was alleged to have asked a potential leading man how tall he was. The guy said six feet six and a half inches; to which she replied : 'Never mind the six feet, let's talk about the six and a half inches.'

There Will Be Blood. I hadn't seen it in quite some time, I think since it was originally released, but it didn't cease to amaze me. The soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead is pretty amazing, as is the acting from Daniel Day Lewis. I would say that this is my favorite of his three Oscar winning roles. Completely mesmerizing film!

10/10
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play