Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 377 of 477 FirstFirst ... 277327367372373374375376377378379380381382387427 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 7142

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I just got that one the other day. Haven't watched it yet.

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" -- pretty good, a bit disturbing. 7/10 I guess.

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" -- not bad, worth watching. Another 7/10 or so.

I just watched Breaking Dawn part 1. It was quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

The plot is already so incredibly awful, but I did enjoy the movies because I thought they were pretty and I liked the music. This one, however, was not even remotely interesting. I talked through the entire thing, making up my own lines to the really really tedious and bland storyline.

This is what happens when you try to milk the system by turning a perfectly normal one-part-plot into a two-part-movie. They had to drag everything out in order to stretch it into two movies. The fourth book could have easily been done into one movie. Tip: DON'T make the wedding scene an entire half an hour. DON'T make the honeymoon scene another dreadfully boring half an hour where all they do is play chess, not have sex, and swim in the ocean.

Part of me has always sort of enjoyed the movies for the scenery and stuff but I guess as time goes on, I'm realizing what a complete load of crap Twilight is, and I don't even want to be around it anymore. It's marketed towards the most cliche, ridiculous 13 year old girls who think that romance is a love triangle between two (arguably) hot men who risk their lives daily to keep them safe and that the entire world revolves around them and their "uniqueness" compared to the insignificance of every other girl. Complete trash. It's turning young girls into idiots who think life falls apart if their boyfriend leaves them and to expect fairy tale romance when that doesn't even exist. I'm so over teenage romance expectations. They're in for a big disappointment.
    Last edited by PMLondonderry; 02-20-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life." -Thoreau

Ní mar a dtarraingím mo chuid anála ach mar a dtugaim mo ghrá a bhfuil mé i mo chónaí
    (Not where I breathe but where I love, I live)

Blog Entries
    Master & Commander - 9/10

But maybe I'm just such a sucker for Naval movies.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMLondonderry View Post
    I just watched Breaking Dawn part 1. It was quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

The plot is already so incredibly awful, but I did enjoy the movies because I thought they were pretty and I liked the music. This one, however, was not even remotely interesting. I talked through the entire thing, making up my own lines to the really really tedious and bland storyline.

This is what happens when you try to milk the system by turning a perfectly normal one-part-plot into a two-part-movie. They had to drag everything out in order to stretch it into two movies. The fourth book could have easily been done into one movie. Tip: DON'T make the wedding scene an entire half an hour. DON'T make the honeymoon scene another dreadfully boring half an hour where all they do is play chess, not have sex, and swim in the ocean.

Part of me has always sort of enjoyed the movies for the scenery and stuff but I guess as time goes on, I'm realizing what a complete load of crap Twilight is, and I don't even want to be around it anymore. It's marketed towards the most cliche, ridiculous 13 year old girls who think that romance is a love triangle between two (arguably) hot men who risk their lives daily to keep them safe and that the entire world revolves around them and their "uniqueness" compared to the insignificance of every other girl. Complete trash. It's turning young girls into idiots who think life falls apart if their boyfriend leaves them and to expect fairy tale romance when that doesn't even exist. I'm so over teenage romance expectations. They're in for a big disappointment.
    I agree that the Twilight movies are horrible. I watched them strictly for MST3K type purposes, like for mocking and hilarity. If they're viewed as comedies, they're actually somewhat good. Haha. Actually, no. No, they are not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Skyline. Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. .5/10.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Painted Veil. 8/10 I loved it, even if they did change the ending. Edward Norton and Naomi Watts did a fine job. Good period piece.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Alvin and the Chipmunks III: Chipwrecked. Probably better than Skyline, if Mutatis is any judge.
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 02-21-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Available now for the e-reader on your bedside table.

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    The Painted Veil. 8/10 I loved it, even if they did change the ending. Edward Norton and Naomi Watts did a fine job. Good period piece.
    This is one of my favourite novels, how did they change the ending?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Still the best films I've seen this year are The Squid and the Whale and Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    This is one of my favourite novels, how did they change the ending?
    This is one of those rare pieces that both Mrs Neely and I enjoy. It is indeed a good film, we have seen it about 4 times. I would give it a 9.1.

**Spoiler**

Well I can't remember the exact ending in the book because I have seen the film too often, but he dies and she goes back to London. Doesn't that happen in the book as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Still the best films I've seen this year are The Squid and the Whale and Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring.

This is one of those rare pieces that both Mrs Neely and I enjoy. It is indeed a good film, we have seen it about 4 times. I would give it a 9.1.

**Spoiler**

Well I can't remember the exact ending in the book because I have seen the film too often, but he dies and she goes back to London. Doesn't that happen in the book as well?
    Yes that's exactly what happens, but prior to her departure she arrives in back in Hong Kong, older and wiser, and sees Charles Townsend for what he really is. On her return to London, she finds that her mother has died and leaves with her father for the Bahamas where he has been offered a government post.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Yes that's exactly what happens, but prior to her departure she arrives in back in Hong Kong, older and wiser, and sees Charles Townsend for what he really is. On her return to London, she finds that her mother has died and leaves with her father for the Bahamas where he has been offered a government post.
    Yes she stumbles upon Charles in London in the film and stubs him also. It ends here in the film. It's a good film you'd probably enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Yes she stumbles upon Charles in London in the film and stubs him also. It ends here in the film. It's a good film you'd probably enjoy it.
    I actually saw a bit of it in a preview on TV just before it came out. It got very good reviews and it looked quite authentic but fell into the trap, common nowadays, of having everyone parading around in spotless costume which should have been a little less so given the period and especially the location.
    A version made during the 1930s, of which I have also seen an extract, was very good on costume but had the ridiculous Hollywood idea of starring Greta Garbo in the lead role: a woman who was just about as far removed from the character in the book as it is possible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Varenne Rodin View Post
    I agree that the Twilight movies are horrible. I watched them strictly for MST3K type purposes, like for mocking and hilarity. If they're viewed as comedies, they're actually somewhat good. Haha. Actually, no. No, they are not.
    It was just bad bad and more bad. Absolutely nothing interesting happened.

However, it did provide a few inside jokes between my parents and I. "Jacob imprinted" is now a favorite new phrase for "Jacob just **** himself." (I kid you not. The way Edward says it, after Jacob jumps off the porch, made our entire living room laugh outloud. Each of us was thinking the same thing.)

However, hands down, this has got to have been the icing on the cake. This is possibly the worst scene in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdmE...eature=related
    "If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life." -Thoreau

Ní mar a dtarraingím mo chuid anála ach mar a dtugaim mo ghrá a bhfuil mé i mo chónaí
    (Not where I breathe but where I love, I live)

Birth of a Nation, D. W. Griffith's 1915 adaptation of Thomas Dixon's novel The Clansman, Doublleday, Page & Co., 1906.

The novel was the second novel of Dixon's Klan triolgy, The Leopard's Spots, The Clansman, and The Traitor.. Dixon's idolized uncle was a Klan chieftan, and the novel and movie were the most controversial in our history for glorifying the Klan. The novel and movie were credited with the revival of the Klan in 1915. Our images of the Klan with white robes, pointy hats, and burning crosses originated with this movie and the novel. These icons were universal with the Second Ku Klux Klan of the 1920's. I watched this movie on You Tube for the historical interest, and was so taken that I bought the DVD at Barnes and Noble.

The movie is three hours long and was one of the very first spectaculars ever produced. It incorporated historically accurate reproductions of various scenes of the Civil War. Lillian Gish starred as Emily, and was a great actress--one who survived the conversion to talkies. The first sixty minutes are devoted to getting to know the two families, one Northern and one Southern, who play an important part throughout the movie. At sixty minutes, the Civil War begins, and most of the war scenery is developed around Sherman's march from Atlanta to the Sea. At 120 minutes the war ends with a memorable scene of Lincoln's assassination. The remainder of the movie is based on the era of Reconstruction.

The Klan is started, but never founded. In actual fact, the Klan was founded as a social club by six friends in Pulaski, TN. In the movie, the Klan is started by one man outraged by the actions of the Republicans and Scalawags. In a near final scene it rides like the cavalry, complete with appropriate music, to the rescue of our protagonist family's patriarch holed up in a cabin fighting of a Negro/Republican insurrection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMLondonderry View Post
    It was just bad bad and more bad. Absolutely nothing interesting happened.

However, it did provide a few inside jokes between my parents and I. "Jacob imprinted" is now a favorite new phrase for "Jacob just **** himself." (I kid you not. The way Edward says it, after Jacob jumps off the porch, made our entire living room laugh outloud. Each of us was thinking the same thing.)

However, hands down, this has got to have been the icing on the cake. This is possibly the worst scene in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdmE...eature=related
    Hahaha. Wow. Now I have to see the movie. That is....like some 1970's cheap voiceover stuff in morning action cartoons. Haha. It's good to laugh. Thanks for the link, Londonderry.