Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 333 of 478 FirstFirst ... 233283323328329330331332333334335336337338343383433 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 4,995 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    This is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's one of many great Capra films, and for some reason it does the most for me. I do not know if it's the technical best, but the story just WORKS. From start to finish, it's cinema gold. I watch this every Christmas, and the past couple Christmas' (mainly this and the last) I've had some pretty unhappy things happen right around the holiday season. This movie can make me forget about these things, no matter what has happened in my life. It's also probably Jimmy Stewart's best role of his life outside of The Philadelphia Story.
    Mathor, I totally agree with everything you said, and I have had two difficult years myself; so I know the feeling of being able to relate and to escape into this movie. It's really hopeful in the essense of the story; that ending makes me smile and cry. I agree - probably Jimmy Stewart's best role ever. He amazed me in those intense scenes and even when he shed tears - one doesn't think of Stewart in that sort of way; he pulled it off with realism, very touching. I felt torn up inside and so sympathetic towards him in that he feels his life has been useless or below his potennial...this really made me think. We don't always reach goals we thought we would, but then if we applied the same idea of 'never having been born', our lives might take on a whole new perspective. It's a wonderful life and wonderful movie! It's a total classic and perfect for the holiday season. 10/10 is not enough to rate it.

Have you seen Capra's "Lost Horizons"?...read the book and loved the film.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Yeah, I love Lost Horizons, though I've never read the book.

Speaking of wonderful Christmas movies.

My favorite of all-time might be A Christmas Story. There is a 24 hour marathon on TBS every year, and I watch it all night christmas eve and all day on christmas. It competes with It's A Wonderful Life, but certain brilliance places it higher as far as holiday classics go.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    Yeah, I love Lost Horizons, though I've never read the book.

Speaking of wonderful Christmas movies.

My favorite of all-time might be A Christmas Story. There is a 24 hour marathon on TBS every year, and I watch it all night christmas eve and all day on christmas. It competes with It's A Wonderful Life, but certain brilliance places it higher as far as holiday classics go.
    Mathor, oh, you should read the book; it's a short one...I really loved it.

I have that movie as well..."A Christms Story" - hilarious! Love the part where they go to the Chinese restaurant and they all sing "Fa Wa Wa Wa Wa"....just cracks me up everytime! Such a great classic film! Maybe I will watch it tonight. Cool on the marathon...should be fun to see all those Christmas themed movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post
    The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
    I'm not really sure how to rate it.

Most of the reviews I've read have praised Ledger's performance and cringed at the story. I found Ledger's performance uneven with moments of nice casual humor, but the praise comes from his death and not what's put on screen. There is more of Ledger than the reports led me to believe. Out of the three actors that volunteered to complete Tony's story, Colin Ferrell , Jude Law and Johnny Depp: Johnny Depp is the only one that is consistent with what has come before.

I found Lily Cole's performance flat, Tom Waits' odd, Andrew Garfield's promising and Verne Troyer is surprisingly funny as a George Costanza type.

There are some great looking set pieces. Terry Gilliam blends the real and fantastic, something that he has done before and better in pictures like The Fisher King.

If I were to recommend this film it would be for Christopher Plummer as Doctor Parnassus and the very interesting take on his relationship with Mr. Nick.
    This was a completely random film. I wasn't fond of it.
    "...You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?..." E. A. Poe

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Inglorious Basterds - I think we all know by now that Tarantino has a knack for story-telling. Film critic Roger Ebert once said that Tarantino could "make a bad film, but never a boring one." That sums up Tarantino. His films reek of cinema, they embrace cinema, they are about cinema, they are cinema in the purest sense possible. One appretiates Tarantino the more and more one sees other movies, for he just having so much goddamn fun with his movie geek knowledge, and if you have seen the right films, you can play along too.

First, the opening. From the very first credit I was enthralled with joy at Tarantino's passion for movies, for the opening credits are done in the style of a nostaligic blaxpotation film from the seventies, stylish titles and all. He even has the old-fashoined Universal logo. Oh, and there's also the film which plays at the movies climax which is a nod to the works of Eisenstein, with many visual refferences, through this Tarantino creates a sort of irony with an entire audience of sadistic Nazi's laughing their asses off.

Tarantino's films are beyond catagorization because they are so masterfully messy. When Pulp Fiction first came out critics were enthralled at Tarantino's simultanious ability to be masterfully controlled and yet spontaneous and even messy at the same time. Tarantino's films presents one of the few cases in which messy is good, it is style. His juxtapositions are probably very discomforting for a mainstream American audience, a certain percentage entering the theater expecting a fun-filled action flick, others expecting a black comedy, and others expecting straight-up war drama. It is far and away none of those three, for it is too delightfully talky to match its advertising, too cruel and violent to be pure comedy, and far too self-consiously fun and absurd to be a war drama. Like all great directors, his films are purely Tarantino.

The plot? Oh **** the plot. I could hardly explain Pulp Ficiton in one paragraph, much less one sentence. Like the great Alfred Hitchcock, Quentin Tarantino proudly prefers style over substance. But that doesn't mean that his films are empty excersizes, just as much as any of Hitchcock's masterpieces are, they are just all and all about themselves. But Tarantino seems to have matured since Pulp Fiction, and in a sense has lost some of his youth. For while Inglorious Basterds deals with very deep issues concerning morality and torture, it is not as vibrant and exciting as Tarantino's first three masterpeices were (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown). Those films had a gritty rebelliousness to them which could only be found in the magic of independent cinema. Don't get me wrong, Inglorious Basterds is the best work Tarantino has done since Pulp Fiction, but after the sucsess of that great film, with the high production values of Kill Bill, Grindhouse and this one, the excitment of watching a Tarantino film in all its glorious youth has been toned down a little.

That said, Tarantino is no less a wirter or director than he was fifteen years ago and has made yet another near-perfect film. The joys of watching his camera, listening to his dialouge and recognizing his hommages, is like rexperiencing cinema history all over again. This film probably most explicitly of Tarantino's films exists on three different levels; a postmodern epic, an exaggerated hommage to Dirty Dozen-esque films which in itself becomes one, and on a more philosophical level, a series of long drawn-out scenes concerning characters in extreme moral choices.

Probably the most deepest scene in the film may also the most sadistic. It is one in which one of the Basterds, Aldo Raine tries to get a POW Nazi to give him information concerning the location of German tanks. He "respectfully refuses". Another Basterd comes out known as "The Bear Jew" and pounds his head to a pulp. The next POW is more cooperative. In this age of Guantanimo Bay, American audiences are aware of the implications this scene holds, and while the apolitical Tarantino stays out of creating a message, the audience are respectfully given the decision on what they make of it.

It's also funny how such a cinematic vaudvillean and playmaster like Tarantino would provide his audience with subtle insights on the nature of evil. I may be deriving this conclusion myself, but the film really made me think about the difference between killing a Nazi soldier and killing a Nazi general.

But enough of this seriousness. We need more directors like Tarantino who value cinema too much to carry themselves away in morality plays, and in the end save the subtle ethical dilemas in the story.

Now I must get to Christopher Walken's performance which is masterful in that it is both cunning and evil, friendly and comedic at the same time. He is one of the top SS men and is known as "The Jew Hunter" due to his uncanny ability to detect gentiles hiding Jews. He is a master observer and trickster. To sum up his character in his own words (in slight paraphrase) "Oh I'm only kidding, I'm being rough on you." He says that at a point in which its characters are at a fragile moment in the plot and are under the danger of being found out. His friendly throw-off is vital to his character, for his interrigations are done like a wolf in sheeps clothes, or rather, a wolf in a very friendly and uninquiring guests clothes. He won at Cannes and deserves a nominatoin at the Oscars.

This is an infitintley fun and clever film done at the highest levels of entertainment, just as Pulp Fiction was, with sharp-edgy writing in perfectly balanced scenes which at times last for over ten twenty minutes and have the play and irony of a Shakespearean comedy. Speaking of comedy, Brad Pitt delivers one of the biggest laughs I've ever had from a non-comedic film with his use of Italian. Inglorious Basterds possesses all of the aspects you could ever want out of a Tarantino film, sharp and intelligent dialouge, endless talking, merciless violence, postmodern patiche, a non-linear narrative, great characters played greatly. Now that's a film. 9/10
    Last edited by DanielBenoit; 12-29-2009 at 05:56 AM.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was a bit sceptical, because I'd read some very weird reviews that made it sound like the guy was playing a computer game or getting connected to some virtual fantasy world instead of a 'real' planet. But then the story turned out to be rather intelligent, as animated movies go, and I was surprised at how it criticized war and genocide.
    The visual effects where absolutely overwhelming and towards the end I got really drawn into the world of Pandora and didn't want to leave. Normally, I don't get drawn into stories that easily, but in this case I was happy to suspend my disbelief.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    Inglorious Basterds - I think we all know by now that Tarantino has a knack for story-telling. Film critic Roger Ebert once said that Tarantino could "make a bad film, but never a boring one." That sums up Tarantino. His films reek of cinema, they embrace cinema, they are about cinema, they are cinema in the purest sense possible. One appretiates Tarantino the more and more one sees other movies, for he just having so much goddamn fun with his movie geek knowledge, and if you have seen the right films, you can play along too.

First, the opening. From the very first credit I was enthralled with joy at Tarantino's passion for movies, for the opening credits are done in the style of a nostaligic blaxpotation film from the seventies, stylish titles and all. He even has the old-fashoined Universal logo. Oh, and there's also the film which plays at the movies climax which is a nod to the works of Eisenstein, with many visual refferences, through this Tarantino creates a sort of irony with an entire audience of sadistic Nazi's laughing their asses off.

Tarantino's films are beyond catagorization because they are so masterfully messy. When Pulp Fiction first came out critics were enthralled at Tarantino's simultanious ability to be masterfully controlled and yet spontaneous and even messy at the same time. Tarantino's films presents one of the few cases in which messy is good, it is style. His juxtapositions are probably very discomforting for a mainstream American audience, a certain percentage entering the theater expecting a fun-filled action flick, others expecting a black comedy, and others expecting straight-up war drama. It is far and away none of those three, for it is too delightfully talky to match its advertising, too cruel and violent to be pure comedy, and far too self-consiously fun and absurd to be a war drama. Like all great directors, his films are purely Tarantino.

The plot? Oh **** the plot. I could hardly explain Pulp Ficiton in one paragraph, much less one sentence. Like the great Alfred Hitchcock, Quentin Tarantino proudly prefers style over substance. But that doesn't mean that his films are empty excersizes, just as much as any of Hitchcock's masterpieces are, they are just all and all about themselves. But Tarantino seems to have matured since Pulp Fiction, and in a sense has lost some of his youth. For while Inglorious Basterds deals with very deep issues concerning morality and torture, it is not as vibrant and exciting as Tarantino's first three masterpeices were (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown). Those films had a gritty rebelliousness to them which could only be found in the magic of independent cinema. Don't get me wrong, Inglorious Basterds is the best work Tarantino has done since Pulp Fiction, but after the sucsess of that great film, with the high production values of Kill Bill, Grindhouse and this one, the excitment of watching a Tarantino film in all its glorious youth has been toned down a little.

That said, Tarantino is no less a wirter or director than he was fifteen years ago and has made yet another near-perfect film. The joys of watching his camera, listening to his dialouge and recognizing his hommages, is like rexperiencing cinema history all over again. This film probably most explicitly of Tarantino's films exists on three different levels; a postmodern epic, an exaggerated hommage to Dirty Dozen-esque films which in itself becomes one, and on a more philosophical level, a series of long drawn-out scenes concerning characters in extreme moral choices.

Probably the most deepest scene in the film may also the most sadistic. It is one in which one of the Basterds, Aldo Raine tries to get a POW Nazi to give him information concerning the location of German tanks. He "respectfully refuses". Another Basterd comes out known as "The Bear Jew" and pounds his head to a pulp. The next POW is more cooperative. In this age of Guantanimo Bay, American audiences are aware of the implications this scene holds, and while the apolitical Tarantino stays out of creating a message, the audience are respectfully given the decision on what they make of it.

It's also funny how such a cinematic vaudvillean and playmaster like Tarantino would provide his audience with subtle insights on the nature of evil. I may be deriving this conclusion myself, but the film really made me think about the difference between killing a Nazi soldier and killing a Nazi general.

But enough of this seriousness. We need more directors like Tarantino who value cinema too much to carry themselves away in morality plays, and in the end save the subtle ethical dilemas in the story.

Now I must get to Christopher Walken's performance which is masterful in that it is both cunning and evil, friendly and comedic at the same time. He is one of the top SS men and is known as "The Jew Hunter" due to his uncanny ability to detect gentiles hiding Jews. He is a master observer and trickster. To sum up his character in his own words (in slight paraphrase) "Oh I'm only kidding, I'm being rough on you." He says that at a point in which its characters are at a fragile moment in the plot and are under the danger of being found out. His friendly throw-off is vital to his character, for his interrigations are done like a wolf in sheeps clothes, or rather, a wolf in a very friendly and uninquiring guests clothes. He won at Cannes and deserves a nominatoin at the Oscars.

This is an infitintley fun and clever film done at the highest levels of entertainment, just as Pulp Fiction was, with sharp-edgy writing in perfectly balanced scenes which at times last for over ten twenty minutes and have the play and irony of a Shakespearean comedy. Speaking of comedy, Brad Pitt delivers one of the biggest laughs I've ever had from a non-comedic film with his use of Italian. Inglorious Basterds possesses all of the aspects you could ever want out of a Tarantino film, sharp and intelligent dialouge, endless talking, merciless violence, postmodern patiche, a non-linear narrative, great characters played greatly. Now that's a film. 9/10
    This is a good post. It is very well-written and it makes me want to go back and watch the movie again with what you said in mind. I did want to add that Brad Pitt's character is from Maynardville TN, which is very close to where I live. For a time, I lived in the same county and I have to say that he did NOT nail the Maynardville accent. He did pick up on the Maynardville persona though so his performance was good, with the exception of the accent.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

The Lovely Bones --- piece of crap, two wasted hours.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Taking WoodstockIt made me want to do drugs, that's all I can say. It got off to a very slow start, but I loved the small, behind the scenes, 'anthill with voices of thunder' look at iconic Woodstock. 8/10
    Last edited by qimissung; 01-03-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Avatar 10/10 Even though the story line has some familiarity to it, I thought it was super cool fantastic (yes I know I sound like a kid). I haven't seen a movie that I was so drawn into like that in forever! I even peeled it apart anthropologically and it was great. Yes, I am a nerd.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    One of the perks to getting older is that Santa has quite a few notches on his naughty or nice slide rule allowing him to gain a better understanding of what makes us twitch. In addition to three wonderful books, I discovered “The Brain that Wouldn’t Die” under the tree, not the brain itself, but the movie.
    Produced in 1962, (written and directed by Joseph Green) The Brain That Wouldn’t Die features Dr. Cortner (Herb Evers) and his quest to find a suitable voluptuous body for the head of his fiancé; Jan (Virginia Leith) to satiate his unethical rogue attempts at transplant surgery. I say “head”, due to the fact that the rest of her body was separated in a horrible automobile wreck that left her in multiple pieces while the doctor, who was driving, walks away with nary a scratch. The doctor runs back to the burning car collects the head and makes his way to his remote lab.

The lab is typical for 1960’s low budget horror flick, complete with a smattering of beakers with bubbling liquid, stretched steel springs to mimic tubes(?) or wires(?), an actual tube inside of which flows the mystery serum that gives life to the head. Oh yes, his fiancé’s head (i.e., the brain that wouldn’t die), well it sits in a pan, much like a turkey roasting pan filled with the life sustaining mystery serum. Of course, you can’t have a lab without an “Igor” and a misshapen creature (the result of a previous botched experiment) locked up in an adjacent room. We are kept suspended in curiosity as to what the creature looks like throughout most of the movie. All we know of the creature is that it emits sounds something like the grunting of a pig and hissing of the Gorn creature from Star Trek. Eventually the creature breaks free toward the end of the movie and we see that it appears as a grotesque form of “Cone Head”. Perhaps Saturday Night Live sought inspiration from this movie.

Anyhow, while the head is being kept alive, the doctor, who is an incurable cabaret lounge lizard, goes out in search of a buxom beauty in which to seduce, decapitate and salvage the body on which he intends to attach his fiancé’s head. While away, the head and the closet creature learn to communicate and conspire.
    The climax is reached when the head commands the creature to kill the assistant, then struggles with the doctor, who had just arrived with the drugged body of a sexy model he was to decapitate, leading to a fire in the lab and the escape of the cone head with the drugged tart in his arms. The closing scene shows the doctor dead on the floor followed by the camera “panning” in on head that remains seated in the roasting pan surrounded by flames.
    Are we to presume the brain burned up?, but then the title would suggest that the brain never dies. Hmmm… I will check to see if there were any sequels.

Summary:
    What was the last movie I saw? : “The Brain that Wouldn’t Die”

Rate it: In the real world 2/10. In my deranged world of classic horror flicks – 5/10. (Using “Night of the Living Dead” or “The Killer Shrews” as a perfect 10 benchmark)

High lights: There is a saucy scene where two of the buxom lounge dancers wrestle each other in a jealous fit over the doctor.

Recommendations: This movie is a “heady” undertaking. It is fine for background conversation piece during a fete.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

This celestial seascape! Lynne50's Avatar
    Last night saw Up In the Air with George Clooney. I enjoyed it alot, plus the soundtrack was good too. I wouldn't go to see it if you've recently been laid off...too close for comfort. Some of the opening scenes were of people that had been laid off and you can understand all the emotions that are involved.
    George Clooney was as good as ever. His performance was a little more controlled, not as much banter as usual, but still he had some good moments.
    Very well written. My husband and I also saw recently, A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Both of course were animated. We enjoyed them as well, but it was nice to see real people in a low key movie for a change.
    "What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare." W.H. Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post

Summary:

Rate it: In the real world 2/10. In my deranged world of classic horror flicks – 5/10. (Using “Night of the Living Dead” or “The Killer Shrews” as a perfect 10 benchmark)

High lights: There is a saucy scene where two of the buxom lounge dancers wrestle each other in a jealous fit over the doctor.

Recommendations: This movie is a “heady” undertaking. It is fine for background conversation piece during a fete.
    I believe I saw that movie in an episode of Mystery Science Theater! It is the definition of the term, 'awesomely bad'!
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    One of the perks to getting older is that Santa has quite a few notches on his naughty or nice slide rule allowing him to gain a better understanding of what makes us twitch. In addition to three wonderful books, I discovered “The Brain that Wouldn’t Die” under the tree, not the brain itself, but the movie.
    Summary:

Gilliatt, thanks for that writeup - it's really witty and fun. I think I saw this film once, too...total camp...it's funny as heck. I love your rating system. I have actually never seen "Night of the Living Dead"...wonder if Youtube has it.

Corpse Bride by Tim Burton- 9 stars.
    XOXO