Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 478 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Galaxies are colliding....weird movie with good message

i give 6.5

Sancho -- I love love love Sling Blade. I think it has one of the best endings of any movie I've seen.
    "Some people call it a Kaiser blade. I call it a sling blade. Mmhm."

Crisaor -- I'm pretty familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Wasn't Ichabod Crane a schoolmaster who lived in Sleepy Hollow? Why all of a sudden all this about a City detective and a big conspiracy of town elders? I've seen the movie two or three times and have never liked it much. As always, Burton is great at atmosphere and camera angles, but it's rare that he can put something equal to his visual skill within the frame.

Saturday I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. I can't talk about it here. Suffice to say it is presented as propaganda, but the facts are still there. Actually, I was surprised at how small and watered-down a piece of the [subjects'] actions and histories was presented, myself being fairly well informed. But anyway, I'm treading on dangerous ground. I'll just say I found it extremely motivating.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

I saw Beethoven last night. *sigh* Where are movies like that nowadays???
    You're just another bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Crisaor -- I'm pretty familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Wasn't Ichabod Crane a schoolmaster who lived in Sleepy Hollow? Why all of a sudden all this about a City detective and a big conspiracy of town elders? I've seen the movie two or three times and have never liked it much. As always, Burton is great at atmosphere and camera angles, but it's rare that he can put something equal to his visual skill within the frame.
    Exactly, Emily. It's a lame story about a rural teacher who gets drunk at a tabern, hears some headless horseman stories, heads out, walks a bit, and gets killed. End of story.
    Compare that to the movie, which one do you think it's better?
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

from the pampas
    Last week I saw "Chocolat" for the 5th time. I am in love with that movie. Just the same thing that happened to me some years ago with Cinema Paradiso. Anyway, the last movie I saw at the cinema is an argentine one, "Luna de Avellaneda". Just fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by elibennet
    Anyway, the last movie I saw at the cinema is an argentine one, "Luna de Avellaneda". Just fantastic
    You liked that one? Intriguing. Sometimes I wonder if the type of movies that are made here won't ashame people elsewhere around the world. Glad to see that wasn't the case, though.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Blog Entries
    i finished "The Seventh Stream" before work today - it's a tale about a silkie who takes off her skin and ends up on land (Ireland), unable to go back into the ocean as a seal until the next seventh stream, which only comes twice a year - if she misses the next one, she will have to die on land in human form.
    this one guy was jealously possessive, his dad tried to help protect her, this other man fell in love with her, and she was wise, innocent, gorgeous, torn.
    so then, the time came to decide to stay human or become a seal again...
    ...i cried. don't know the last movie that made me cry, and feel.
    10. wonderful "real life" faerie tale.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

I saw that one on video years ago at our friends' house. I don't remember any of it, because the VCR ate the tape halfway through. Our friend had to take it apart and wind the tape up by hand, but I seem to think we finished watching it.

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    yeah, it came to this hallmark from their main distribution site without plastic wrap (grr) and was sticky in some places. but i absolutely had to finish it, as irritating as that was.

feel better soon, em!
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Psyco...for the numerous times..

still the point is 8.

Ouch, you guys are slaying Washington Irving’s “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” I can’t speak to Burton’s movie since I haven’t seen it, but I do know there was more to the original story than Crisaor’s synopsis. (Otherwise Hollywood wouldn’t still be using it as source material, eh?) Also the cartoon version they’d show us around Halloween used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

Cris, I don’t think Ichabod was off-ed in the story. I think his fate was left ambiguous; they just never found him - thus perpetuating the legend.

I really think that you have to read that story with a sense for the time and place in which it was written. Even though Irving wrote like an Englishman, he was an American in a new America, and the story is purely American. Here’s this brand new nation, raw and bursting with energy, optimistic about the future and happy to be rid of King George’s shackles. Of course it was a transition period in North America and little Dutch farming villages or Sleepy Hollows were being left behind.

So anyway, it is a fun little story and a legend, but I also think that it’s somewhat of an allegory for the new nation. Brom Bones would represent the optimism and energy of the new American population and Ichabod would represent old Europe. Katrina, of course, was the prize – this magnificent piece of mother earth that lies between Canada and Mexico.

I reread the story every once and a while and I always find something I haven’t noticed before. If you feel like reading it, you’ve gotta read it with its companion story, “Rip Van Winkle,” (the man who slept through the American Revolutionary War). I always kinda liked ole Rip (he was hen-pecked too.)
    Uhhhh...

I used to have an album (I'm dating myself) with the story of Sleepy Hollow. I would never listen to it because the front cover scared the crap out of me. That and my mom's book The Shining, on the front cover was a childs head with hair but no features. Both are probably still in the basement where I hid them. Any Hoo....back to the movies....
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho
    Ouch, you guys are slaying Washington Irving’s “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” I can’t speak to Burton’s movie since I haven’t seen it, but I do know there was more to the original story than Crisaor’s synopsis.
    I admit the first, not so sure about the second though.
    Cris, I don’t think Ichabod was off-ed in the story. I think his fate was left ambiguous; they just never found him - thus perpetuating the legend.
    It's as you say Sancho, however, I think it's very unlikely that he survived, but that's my own view.
    So anyway, it is a fun little story and a legend, but I also think that it’s somewhat of an allegory for the new nation. Brom Bones would represent the optimism and energy of the new American population and Ichabod would represent old Europe. Katrina, of course, was the prize – this magnificent piece of mother earth that lies between Canada and Mexico.
    I didn't get that from reading the book, it's an interesting interpretation.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Oh, oh, movie! The other day I watched "The City of Lost Children"(La Cité des Enfants Perdus) on TV, subtitled. This is what movies should be! 10, all the way.

I've heard of "Delicatessen" before, too, by the same guys. Now I definitely have to see that one.

~The Dresden Dolls

Yeah, I just go back from the movies a couple of hours ago, went to see "The Notebook," which is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel. I wanted to read the book first, but would you believe that I couldn't find it? I figure now that I have seen the movie every bookstore will suddenly have it.

Anyways, I am not into the whole sappy romances, but I will tell you that I liked this movie... One of the better I have seen in a while. I give it like an 8. The funny thing is that in a strange way I can relate to it...