Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 179 of 478 FirstFirst ... 79129169174175176177178179180181182183184189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

I was so tired last night. Plus I had to go to an interview today. Yet, I stayed up until 5 in the morning to watch 2 movies that I have seen numerous times (especially the one!). I am just crazy!

*West Side Story - I have seen this film an insane amount of times. No normal person should not only know all the songs, and the exact way that they sing them (which is really no big deal as I have the soundtrack), but to also know all of the dialogue and choreography! Anyway, I did see this musical peformed on stage. I have to admit that the film was MUCH BETTER!! Stage show was OK, but the film is so much better! Anyway, WSS does have its faults. Natalie Wood as Maria is a joke. The only actor (and I have NO idea why this is) that does his own singing is George Chakiris. That includes the women. Why Rita Moreno doesn't do hers is beyond me! Also, as for the story, I hate Maria with a passion! Then again, as this is based on "Romeo and Juliet", I have always despised Juliet. They both just annoy me to death! Anyway, having said these things, I will admit to LOVING this movie!!! It is so good! Since I was a kid I always felt that the most interesting part of the story was the conflict between the Jets and Sharks. The dancing is fantastic. I never understood why Bob Fosse was considered this fantasic choreographer when someone like Jerome Robbins was alive at one time and made something look as brilliant as WSS! As for music, it is classic! "Tonight (Quintet)" is definitely high on my list as one of the best songs from a musical ever! Great film. I will give it a 9.95/10 (it does have those few flaws!).

*Corrina, Corrina - Ray Liotta and Whoopi Goldberg. He is a widower and she is the woman that he hires as a housekeeper to take care of his house and look after his daughter. Another film that I absolutely love (though alot of people only give it like 2 1/2 stars - everyone has their own opinion, right?). I heard once that the director (I believe it was her story) based this on her own life. The ending is so good. The ending is "made-up". She ended the story the way she wanted her life to really be. This is just a good movie! A good story. Every now and then it is nice to watch something like this. 10/10

American Gangster (2007); Russel Crowe, Denzel Washington, dir. Ridley Scott
    10/10
    The best movie I've seen - particularly at a theater - in a very long time. I did not realize, entering the theater, that it would be almost three hours long, but not a moment of it feels drawn-out or superfluous. It's somewhat graphic without being gratuitous, and, with the exception of one minor cliche (the juxtoposition of the congregation singing "Amazing Grace" while [something kind of important] happens) pretty original all the way. If you dig drug movies, I'd put this up with Scarface, a little above Blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Amalia, I love mini-series! I will have to check this one out. Who stars in it?

A, do I own you an email?

Hi, Janine!!!!

Julianna Margulies, Angelica Huston, and Joan Allen star in it, among others. You will love it, I did.

Yes, you owe me an e-mail, but take your time with it, because I'm too busy with decoration myself, that's my little sin for today!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    Hi, Janine!!!!

Julianna Margulies, Angelica Huston, and Joan Allen star in it, among others. You will love it, I did.
    Hi Amalia, I will have to check out this mini-series. I like those star so it should be very good. Thanks for recommending it.

Yes, you owe me an e-mail, but take your time with it, because I'm too busy with decoration myself, that's my little sin for today!!!
    A, Just read your email note. I checked backin mail; last one I wrote you was 9th; then you wrote short note back; then I got no more, after 9th. Of course, one might have slipped by me...this time of year anything can happen, right?
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I watched Half Nelson today starring Ryan Gosling . I had seen it before in theatres when it came out but wanted to watch it again. It is a great film, hard to watch at points, I found myself looking away from the screen so many times as the character that Gosling created just keeps falling down over and over no matter how hard he tries.... Fantastic film with another great performance for Ryan Gosling. 9/10
    Last edited by TEND; 12-21-2007 at 12:33 AM.
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Last one I sat through and watched was Shaun of The Dead. Watched it before though.

Great movie, hilarious too. Especially if you like British humor. 9/10 for sure.
    "I know they tell ya, you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Hide and Seek with Robert de Niro
    Well, the first half was quite good in terms of being spooky and holding some suspence...but then it became soooooo predictable!
    5/10

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

I am now going to review "Sweeney Todd". I saw it at the first showing today at 10:40 in the morning!

Anyone who knows me knows that my 2 big obsessions are the musicals "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Sweeney Todd". Well, I have also seen both shows performed in the theater. So, I am very hesitant when it comes to film adaptations. Now I am probably the one person who really liked the film of "Phantom" (it has a few flaws, though). Stiil, it absolutely does NOT compare to the original stage show. That made me a little worried about "Sweeney". Well, I will be honest. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!

It has some things that are negative.
    * Helena Bonham Carter - she is OK in it (she was the one thing that I was afraid of), but her voice is a little weak sometimes.
    * They shortened the story from approximately 3 hours to only 2 on film, but I can live with that. They cut out songs that aren't "major" to me. They did shorten "A Little Priest", though.
    * They cut out "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd"!!!! That was my major issue. They cut one of the greatest songs in musical theater history! BUT the "background" music to that song is what plays throughout the opening credits and in different parts of the film. So I will have to be satisfied with that.
    * It wasn't nearly as bloody as people made it out to be. Let's just say what was worse was when the bodies fell through the chute! And the rats. Rats are always bad (even if they are in a film for a few seconds like with this one).

Johnny Depp was a very pleasant surprise, vocally. Actually, other than HBC's thin voice every now and then, they were all OK. My mother went to see it with me and in the middle of the film she leaned over and said "If Johnny Depp deserves an award for anything in his whole careeer, it is definitely this film". He was SO good! I am not one who goes ga-ga over him! So, yes, he impressed me very much so!!

I love the overall look of the film. I am not trying to be biased, but it is definitely Burton's BEST film!!!

Now I do NOT recommend this film to just anyone. My mother and I saw it on stage about 11 years ago. A couple left during intermission and never came back. I guarantee they won't be seeing the movie! If you don't know what this is about, or you do and it really doesn't sound like something you'd like, don't see it. For all the other people out there who are willing to be open-minded, have a wicked sense of humor and really enjoy music (remember that this is basically more like an opera rather than a musical), GO SEE IT!!!! The man behind me, and his mother who had to be at least 80, LOVED it!! They laughed and had a good time with it! My mother just loved it! She kept talking about it the rest of the day.

I liked the stage version of "Phantom" more than the film (though, like I said, I liked the film). I like "Phantom" more than "Sweeney". The film that I saw today, though, is better than the stage "Sweeney". Now I will admit to the fact that I liked "Sweeney" the film better than "Phantom" the film!!! It is a billion times better!

Because films call for so much more acting than on stage (mainly due to close-ups and the more "intimate" feeling they project), this helps to prove my point that Sweeney Todd really isn't an evil man. He is a pathetic character! I just wanted to bring that up.

So, in closing to my ridiculously long review, I give "Sweeney Todd" a 10/10. If it is possible to give it a 1,000/1,000, I will do that then!! Absolutely FANTASTIC film!

Blog Entries
    Saw Superbad 10/10

It's so ridiculous it's funny. I tend to like movies that make you go "huh?" before you laugh out loud and that's what this is. There's plenty of crude and lewd humor, so if you have a more refined sensibility, I would suggest you skip it.

Three nerds anticipate high school graduation with all the usual, male teen objectives: getting laid and getting alchohol, and getting alchohol in order to get laid. I know it sounds like the same old movie that keeps coming out every few years with different hair styles and different soundtracks, but this one, to me at least, had a fresh approach and I say give it a chance.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    I am now going to review "Sweeney Todd". I saw it at the first showing today at 10:40 in the morning!

Anyone who knows me knows that my 2 big obsessions are the musicals "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Sweeney Todd". Well, I have also seen both shows performed in the theater. So, I am very hesitant when it comes to film adaptations. Now I am probably the one person who really liked the film of "Phantom" (it has a few flaws, though). Stiil, it absolutely does NOT compare to the original stage show. That made me a little worried about "Sweeney". Well, I will be honest. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!

It has some things that are negative.
    * Helena Bonham Carter - she is OK in it (she was the one thing that I was afraid of), but her voice is a little weak sometimes.
    * They shortened the story from approximately 3 hours to only 2 on film, but I can live with that. They cut out songs that aren't "major" to me. They did shorten "A Little Priest", though.
    * They cut out "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd"!!!! That was my major issue. They cut one of the greatest songs in musical theater history! BUT the "background" music to that song is what plays throughout the opening credits and in different parts of the film. So I will have to be satisfied with that.
    * It wasn't nearly as bloody as people made it out to be. Let's just say what was worse was when the bodies fell through the chute! And the rats. Rats are always bad (even if they are in a film for a few seconds like with this one).

Johnny Depp was a very pleasant surprise, vocally. Actually, other than HBC's thin voice every now and then, they were all OK. My mother went to see it with me and in the middle of the film she leaned over and said "If Johnny Depp deserves an award for anything in his whole careeer, it is definitely this film". He was SO good! I am not one who goes ga-ga over him! So, yes, he impressed me very much so!!

I love the overall look of the film. I am not trying to be biased, but it is definitely Burton's BEST film!!!

Now I do NOT recommend this film to just anyone. My mother and I saw it on stage about 11 years ago. A couple left during intermission and never came back. I guarantee they won't be seeing the movie! If you don't know what this is about, or you do and it really doesn't sound like something you'd like, don't see it. For all the other people out there who are willing to be open-minded, have a wicked sense of humor and really enjoy music (remember that this is basically more like an opera rather than a musical), GO SEE IT!!!! The man behind me, and his mother who had to be at least 80, LOVED it!! They laughed and had a good time with it! My mother just loved it! She kept talking about it the rest of the day.

I liked the stage version of "Phantom" more than the film (though, like I said, I liked the film). I like "Phantom" more than "Sweeney". The film that I saw today, though, is better than the stage "Sweeney". Now I will admit to the fact that I liked "Sweeney" the film better than "Phantom" the film!!! It is a billion times better!

Because films call for so much more acting than on stage (mainly due to close-ups and the more "intimate" feeling they project), this helps to prove my point that Sweeney Todd really isn't an evil man. He is a pathetic character! I just wanted to bring that up.

So, in closing to my ridiculously long review, I give "Sweeney Todd" a 10/10. If it is possible to give it a 1,000/1,000, I will do that then!! Absolutely FANTASTIC film!
    Wowie wowie wow wow wow! I can't wait! I'm going to see it on Sunday. Sadly, I couldn't see it today. (I always like to go opening nights for the movies I'm really anticipating-that's a given)

Yayyyy! I seriously can't wait!

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Adams View Post
    Wowie wowie wow wow wow! I can't wait! I'm going to see it on Sunday. Sadly, I couldn't see it today. (I always like to go opening nights for the movies I'm really anticipating-that's a given)

Yayyyy! I seriously can't wait!
    Oh, I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!!! I plan on seeing it again soon. I would like to go next week sometime. I need to get the soundtrack still. I confess to being lazy about getting around to that! I can still survive with just the Broadway cast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    Oh, I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!!! I plan on seeing it again soon. I would like to go next week sometime. I need to get the soundtrack still. I confess to being lazy about getting around to that! I can still survive with just the Broadway cast.
    LadyWentworth, By any chance, did you 'love' "Sweeny Todd"???

Just kidding !
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    LadyWentworth, By any chance, did you 'love' "Sweeny Todd"???

Just kidding !
    Don't ask me why, because I don't have an answer, but I figured that somebody would say that to me! You know what? I just had a feeling it was going to be you!

amor vincit omnia livelaughlove's Avatar
    LOL. I really want to see Sweeney Todd too. I don't even know what's it about but it sounds really interesting and I just love musicals.

I saw P.S. I Love You yesterday and it was really good. It was a tragic love story but it wasn't really depressing like some. I think I would describe it as 'poignant' - and it was deeply involved with the characters and life and heritage. I had to choke back tears pretty much the whole movie- again not because it was sad, but it was just that moving. My friends and I walked out and I was like "Sheesh, I could turn right back around and go watch it again!" and everyone agreed.

So I give it a 10/10. Definitely a favorite.

Blog Entries
    well, i feel stupid posting what i saw....

"Underdog".... hmmm... it was ok, nothing special, cute, funny parts.... 6/10
    Pitiful creatur of darkness,
    What kind of world have you known?
    God give me courage to guide me,
    You are not alone.