Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 475 of 475 FirstFirst ... 375425465470471472473474475
Results 7,111 to 7,116 of 7116

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Thank, Ecurb. Very useful as some of these films will be shown here only in February. Had a good laugh at the ironic passages.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Darkest Hour with Gary Oldman - really liked it id give it an 8

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    The Post

A film every American should see. Though I should like to see a film focused on Daniel Ellsberg himself. This one centers on the newspaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXlY6gzTTM

8,5/10,00
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

I saw "Phantom Thread" last night, induced to do so by the rumor that it would be Daniel Day Lewis's final film. Lewis is one of the best film actors of the past 30 years, and the son of former Poet Laureate Cecil Day Lewis. In addition he quit acting for five years to become a cobbler, which makes his interest in fashion and clothing piquant.

The film is gorgeous. The actors, the clothes, the still-lifes of the interior sets and the all-too-rare outdoor scenes all look great. The music by Johnny Greenwood --mostly piano -- adds to the creepy and claustrophobic atmosphere. Day Lewis's film sister Cyril is clearly designed to resemble Mrs. Manvers from "Rebecca", and adds to the creepy, stylized atmosphere. Day Lewis (Mr. Woodcock) gets rid of one model and muse, and picks up another one (Alma) at a restaurant. How Day Lewis and his models retain their slender figures is something of a mystery, considering the amount of food they order and consume. Trays of delicious-looking sweet rolls appear at each breakfast, but remain uneaten -- perhaps representing the control needed for artistic production.

Unfortunately, all of the beauty and creepy claustrophobia that the film so skillfully produces leads nowhere. Cyril is a cipher, clip-clopping about the house in her sensibly blocky high heels. I kept waiting for her to do something, but she never does. Alma and Woodcock wander through a sickly, co-dependent relationship with neither resolution nor (despite the dramatic details) drama. I suppose this is a post-modern motif -- things just happen that lead nowhere, or to walls so high their tops cannot be seen. In addition, I was annoyed with the notion that an artist is, by nature, deranged, and that his psychoses must be indulged, and his life ordered, to facilitate his creativity.

At one point Alma runs off to attend a New Years Eve party solo, and I whispered to my companion, "Let's hope they wrap it up sometime this year." Still, the positives of the film far outweigh the negatives, and it's well worth seeing.

just puttin' in another plug for wonder woman!!

Last film i watched is illumination by krzysztof zanussi. Great film. It's about a guy who faces an existential crisis seeks answer through his study physics. Later thinks about joining biology but ends up with mathematics. In between he takes turn towards religion too. In each of his pursuits he finds the institutions to be in one way or other corrupt, not sufficient enough to satisfy his quest.
    one of the great polish films i have seen.
    This filmmaker i recently identified can be considered along with the lines of wajda, kieslowski and other polish greats.
    I have seen another of his film too "Structure of crystal" . Another one centering on science graduates, professionals. Pretty good one.