Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 474 of 478 FirstFirst ... 374424464469470471472473474475476477478 LastLast
Results 7,096 to 7,110 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

I like pugs.
    The last movie I saw was Nut Job 2. It sucked. Big time.

Blog Entries
    I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and they agreed with you about Nut Job 2. I'll probably skip it.

I found two new comedies in the library, "The House" https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_house_2017 and "Killing Hasselhoff" https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/killing_hasselhoff

Regarding "The House", I could only stand about 15 minutes of it. Besides I had a plan B with the second movie. So I didn't finish it.

I almost stopped watching Killing Hasselhoff as well, but I was too tired to find the remote to turn if off. Anyway, the longer I watched it the more I liked it. Besides I didn't have a plan C. Score 7/10

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Taxi Driver 10/10 classic, a study of loneliness. Even with a Hollywood ending I still stick with a 10/10

Blog Entries
    My daughter recommended Rick and Morty. This is an animated comedy series. You can find the episodes on YouTube. The best one I've seen so far is Season 1 Episode 4 about simulations. I am going to have to remember this if I ever get caught in a simulation. They are moronic but addicting.

Blog Entries
    I watched The Layover: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_layover/ It doesn't look good for this movie from either the critics or the people. However, I found it tediously amusing. I was able to get through the movie and enjoy parts of it.

The story is about two roommates who are trying to seduce a man who sits between them on the plane on their way to Fort Lauderdale to celebrate everything going wrong in their adult lives. The next thing that goes wrong in their lives is they are fighting over this stranger. There are some pretty good scenes especially when they try to do good and stop two marriages from happening. One was a definite oops and the other they didn't succeed in stopping, but considering everything it was all for the best. This is a comedy so everything sort of turns out OK in the end.

Score: 7/10

Blog Entries
    We watched The Big Sick: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_big_sick/ This got 98% positive ratings on Rotten Tomatoes! It is the story of Kumail Nanjiani, a Pakistani comedian, and how he met his wife, Emily.

The critics are right about this one. It deserves a score of 10/10. It was heartbreaking and in places so funny we laughed out loud.

Blog Entries
    Lost in Yonkers (1993): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lost_in_yonkers/

Very nice. Score: 10/10

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    The Truman show

9/10 (It gets higher each time I watch it)

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Other Side of Hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtiFG6utst8

9,5/10
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

wonder woman, and i absolutely love love loved it! its become one of my very favorites. ive watched certain scenes in it dozens of times since.

Blog Entries
    The scene I liked about Wonder Woman was her reaction after tasting ice cream her future boyfriend bought her. That scene was quick, but it is now in my mind.

Blog Entries
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2/10

About as good as Attack of the Clones.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Blog Entries
    I skipped Star Wars, but we did watch that recent movie about Churchill. I think it was called "Darkest Hour". I thought that was pretty good, say 9/10.

I've seen most of the movies favored for awards that are out now. Here are my brief reviews of each:

"The Darkest Hour" -- Say what you will about Sir Winston, he never struck me as a ditherer. Instead, his image is that of a supremely confident leader. Yet Gary Oldman dithers his way through "Darkest Hour". This movie is not terrible -- it moves along, as, given the stirring historical events it portrays, it could hardly fail to do -- but it's not very good, either.

"The Last Jedi" -- It's not as bad as the last Star Wars movie (which was a scene-by-scene recreation of the original Star Wars), but it comes close. It repeats "Emperor Strikes Back", except that it's not nearly as good.

"The Post" -- Here in liberal Eugene, Oregon, this film was greeted with more than one ovation. It's directed by Steven Spielberg, and it stars Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. It can hardly go wrong. The movie is about how the Washington Post stepped in to publish the Pentagon Papers after the New York Times (which broke the story) was enjoined from doing so by Federal Courts. It's a fine movie, but the John Williams score and the reaction of the audience seemed more appropriate to blowing up Death Stars than to running a newspaper. I suppose it takes (some modicum of) courage to defy Nixon -- but, let's face it, Ben Bradley isn't quite Luke Skywalker.

"The Shape of Water" -- Guillermo del Toro's science fiction fantasy is good fun. It's set during the cold war and involves Russian spies, CIA heavies, and a strange creature from the amazon who resembles a man wearing a scuba wetsuit and mask. Sally Hawkins, a mute janitor at a D.C. secret military facility, foils the evil U.S. military's plans to dissect the creature, with the aid of a Russian spy. This film is more of a send-up of 1950s sci-fi movies than anything else, but it's entertaining.

"The Disaster Artist" -- I'd never seen "The Room" (evidently admired by youthful hipsters as the worst movie ever), but this film is entertaining fluff. I never quite got the attraction of "The Room". I don't like "bloopers" TV shows, either. What's so funny about bad things? Nonetheless, this film was enjoyable, because the characters are so strange.

"I, Tonya". -- I live in Oregon, and I've been a Tonya Harding fan for years. I almost boycotted the movie -- fearing it would go for cheap laughs. Instead, it's very good, telling several sides of the story, and portraying the wacky real-life characters as, at least, interesting. Why DID the FBI find that practice schedule for Kerrigan in Tonya's handwriting? Hmmm.

"Lady Bird" Greta Gerwig's directorial debut (if you don't count Frances Ha), is a funny, touching, coming of age story. It's a little movie -- based around small themes and ordinary characters -- but it portrays them well and keeps the audience entertained.

"Three Bill Boards outside Ebbing Missouri" -- Martin McDonagh directs Frances McDormand in this dark, sometimes comic film. I enjoyed the acting, the characters, and the entire movie, although it was damaged by enough holes in the plot to drive several pick-up trucks through. A lot of professionalism must have gone into making the film -- the dialogue is witty, the photography evocative, the set-up unusual and interesting. You'd think they could have come up with a plot that holds together a little better.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Ecurb. Very useful as some of these films will be shown here only in February. Had a good laugh at the ironic passages.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 01-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row