Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 442 of 478 FirstFirst ... 342392432437438439440441442443444445446447452 ... LastLast
Results 6,616 to 6,630 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I don't normally watch the news. I didn't know Scotland wanted to secede from the UK until I read about it in one of Biggus' poems. But I think he's right. The other parts of the UK should vote on whether they want to let Scotland stay.

Well they decided against independence. One of the many questions that might have concerned them was what their national anthem would be. Here's one possibility:

http://youtu.be/dF7wXe1LznU
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

^ouch, but also, Hahaha! Toot that saxophone.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    That might be construed as having an anti-Texan bias. After all, I seem to recall that the present incumbent's predecessor came from Texas and his oratory will go down in history like that of Demosthenes and Cicero....but not for the same reason.
    Heh-heh, Dubya does have a way with words, don't he - a splendiferous oratalogical gift.

The sad thing about it is that people are always misunderestimating him. It's gittin' me all hot under the collar just thinkin' about it. I'm fixin' to git heat frustration!

The Outlaw Josey Wales, 10/10

Based on the book, Gone To TEXAS, by Forrest (Asa) Carter, a man with very checkered past.
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Heh-heh, Dubya does have a way with words, don't he - a splendiferous oratalogical gift.

The sad thing about it is that people are always misunderestimating him.
    This reminds me of the time when during his term of office there was a large anti-Bush demonstration in London about the Iraq war. A reporter covering the event wrote that he tried to interview one of the demonstrators but he couldn't understand him because the man was still wearing his George W Bush mask.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

The governor of TEXAS that preceded Dubya probably said it best:

Poor George, he caint help it - he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.

http://youtu.be/ZgeQ_y7LMRI

Although the quote was about George H.W. Bush, it works for junior as well. Ann Richards truly had a way with words. That speech at the '88 Democratic Convention made her nationally and even internationally famous. Queen Elizabeth noticed, in fact she visited the governor in Austin in '91.

Ann Richards was also the last (and only) TEXAS governor that I ever voted for. I was living there at the time. She was defeated for reelection by Dubya in a particularly nasty campaign. It was a real smear job designed by the miscreant Karl Rove.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Well they decided against independence. One of the many questions that might have concerned them was what their national anthem would be. Here's one possibility:

http://youtu.be/dF7wXe1LznU
    That potential national anthem got me wondering what "Hoots Mon" even means.

I asked my wife if she knew that Scotland wanted to secede. She told me that was old news and that they voted against secession confirming what you said. I suppose I could have just looked this up on the internet. She said that Scotland has all the natural resources and the nukes. No wonder they wanted to secede.

For movies, I saw the documentary, "Bad Grandpa .5". My wife declined to view it with me. It was a good description of how they made "Bad Grandpa", a movie both of us enjoyed.

Score: 10/10

Moment of danger ( 1960 )

This British film has a weird provenance insofar as its cast and director are concerned. It was directed by Laslo Benedek, director of The Wild One, and stars Dorothy Dandridge, Edmund Purdom and Trevor Howard; casting doesn't get much weirder than that. A few stalwarts of British supporting actors such as Michael Hordern, Alfred Burke and Paul Stassino complete the lineup. The story looks as though it was made up as they went along and it's a pity to see Trevor Howard in such low grade material, although the opening scene where a burglary is carried out in total silence in the presence of the sleeping victim was genuinely exciting. All in all though, it falls into that category where someone with too much money backs a film that should never have been made.

4/10

Who Is Dayani Cristal?
    8/10

It's a documentary about migrant workers coming into the United States from south of the border. I know, as soon as I said "documentary" it sounds boring, but it's not. Here's the set up:

Deputies from the Pima County Sheriff Department are heading out into Sonora Desert to do a body recovery. Pima County is in Southern Arizona and runs from Tucson to the Mexican border. There are some beautiful shots of the desert, but then you see the buzzards circling. The body is of a young man and it is beginning to bloat. Thankfully the film makers digitally blurred the man's face. The one distinguishing characteristic of the body is a tattoo across his chest: Dayani Cristal, hence the name of the film.

You then spend time with the coroner and a representative from the Mexican Consulate in a forensics lab in Tucson. Hats off to these two for what they do. They were serious and conscientious about their task. At one point the coroner looks at the camera and sort of sheepishly says something like - I had to remove the hands and try to rehydrate them to get good fingerprints.

They get a hit on the fingerprints and determine that the man is a migrant worker from Honduras. From there the film takes you along the man's journey from his village in Honduras to the desert near Tucson - and back. The young Mexican actor, Gael Garcia Bernal, narrates as he tries to retrace the man's footsteps, riding atop trains, sleeping in shelters, and chatting with people who are making the trip for real - to the promised land.

It's gritty, it's real, and it's personal.

Blog Entries
    "Who is Dayani Cristal" sounds interesting. I'll have to keep it on my list with the others people recommend here.

I ran into this short film (less than 12 minutes) as an advertisement prior to watching some other YouTube video, but it was the only advertisement I actually finished watching. It is one of the Jameson First Shot 2014 series of short films called "The Mundane Goddess" written and directed by Henco J: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujqoQ6V_kl0

The Greek gods have incarnated as ordinary people and Hera is in therapy complaining about her life.

Score: 8/10

Royal Opera House's production of Tosca.

I loved it! Tosca is one of my favourites.

10/10
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Jigsaw (1961)

This British crime thriller is definitely a cut above others of the genre. It shows the frustratingly painstaking work that the police undertake in tracing the killer of a woman whose dismembered body is found in a house at the southern seaside resort of Brighton.
    Starting from almost nothing, the Detective Superintendent and his two sergeants follow some false leads before they identify the victim by a process of elimination and they twice arrest the wrong man before the murderer is finally brought to light.
    How this happens even astounds the police as the case is finally brought to a satisfactory conclusion.
    The film has been much praised among critics for its documentary style and it is both engrossing and exciting by turns.

8/10
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 10-02-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Godzilla. It was fun. 7.8/10
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    D.E.B.S. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367631/

I think I've seen all the recent comedy and so I started looking up the old stuff in the library. It needs to be stupid enough to wind me down at the end of the day, but not too stupid that I'll fall asleep. This one was just right.

The D.E.B.S. are female spies recruited when they took their college entrance exams with secret questions. They remind me of a mix between the powerpuff girls and Charlie's angels. There is also a bad girl and her male assistant. They are so misrepresented by the spy agency that everyone is afraid to come in contact with them. The D.E.B.S. are trying to bring them to justice.

If one needs more than mini-skirted teenage spies carrying weapons that should be too heavy for them to lift, there is an interesting theme about lying and deliberate misrepresentation that could keep an adult entertained.

Score: 8/10

Act of Love (1953)

This romantic tragedy was directed by Anatole Litvak and stars Kirk Douglas and French actress Dany Robin. The story revolves around a GI (Douglas), based in liberated Paris during WWII, agreeing to pose as the husband of a young French girl from St Malo (Robin) in order that she can obtain a room under wartime laws then in place. What starts out as a wary relationship slowly develops into a romance that leads the soldier to propose marriage, but he needs the permission of his commanding officer who thinks that Douglas has given in to a whim and has him transferred to another city before he can contact the girl who, thinking that she has been deserted, kills herself. The girl had told him that she had only been happy once when she was on holiday and staying in a small hotel by the sea in Villefranche on the French Riviera. Years later, the GI returns as a civilian to France and goes to Villefranche to stay at the same hotel and while there he runs into his former commanding officer who is there on holiday with his wife. When asked about the wartime incident, he is dashed to hear that his refusal to allow the marriage resulted in the girl's suicide.
    I might have thought the later meeting of both men in a small French seaside town was too much of a coincidence except for the fact that, some years after I had left the Home Office in London, a woman I had worked with was staying at the same Villefranche hotel as myself.

Last movie I saw was 'I Saw the Devil,' a very brutal and dark story about a serial killer who murders a girl who just happens to be both the daughter of a police chief and has a boyfriend whose a federal-type agent and national mixed martial arts champion. With a recipe like that you'd think this was some kinda dark, 90's style action flick, but it's not... the hero proves to be as brutal as the killer, harming people himself in order to get what he wants.

In the end he defeats the bad guy only to realize now he's the bad guy?

Blog Entries
    I saw the "Carrie" remake. 1/10 Horrible movie. Probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was laughably awfully made. The lead actress was stupid. Terrible to watch. I can't say enough to describe how I completely hated it. It was the opposite of bliss.