Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 463 of 478 FirstFirst ... 363413453458459460461462463464465466467468473 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    It is dark, but in a stupid way.

I just finished another movie, "Bewitched": http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bewitched/ This one scored even worse than "Burying the Ex", but I liked it more.

This is a story about a witch (Nicole Kidman) who wants to live a normal life and so she lands in Hollywood and becomes an actress in a TV series called "Bewitched" which is a remake of an old TV series. She knows she can snap her fingers and get whatever she wants, but she wants a particular guy (Will Ferrell), the male actor in the TV series, to want her of his own free will. Since he is rather self-centered she doesn't know how to do this and so she gives up trying and then the magic starts.

I'd rate this 10/10.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I didn't realize the central role of Germany and that it went back to the late 19th century, but the EU didn't occur in a vacuum, so it shouldn't have surprised me. I can see why people would want to exit the EU. It gives them a chance for more autonomy.
    Not just general autonomy but crucially over control of the economy. The euro is a failed currency and I can't see that changing. Perhaps the range of economies is too wide too make a single currency viable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Not just general autonomy but crucially over control of the economy. The euro is a failed currency and I can't see that changing. Perhaps the range of economies is too wide too make a single currency viable.
    I suppose the euro is useful for tourists who don't have to exchange currency when they travel. The US uses a single currency over all of its states and I suspect that is what the EU wants to do with the euro.

I don't know what failure would mean for a currency. I do think the dollar will strengthen, the euro and other currencies will weaken, commodities will get flushed right down the toilet and the global stock markets crash. I'm a bear expecting a multi-decade long period of deflation caused by debt. That is the main reason I would think it is a good idea not to be in the EU when that crash occurs. Should such a crash occur the EU might not survive anyway. There will also be problems with US debt. The state I live in is heavily indebted.

If the crash doesn't occur, there are other benefits from autonomy that "Brexit the Movie" emphasized. In general people like to be, and should be, as autonomous as they are able to be. My children don't want me taking care of them forever. Older people don't want to be babysat by their children so they don't hurt themselves either. On the other hand we all need help at times.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Love and Friendship. Hilarious and very good.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    The trailer on Rotten Tomatoes looked pretty good for "Love and Friendship": http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/love_and_friendship/ They even gave it high ratings.

In going through some movies I saw many years ago in search of something funny I found "White Chicks", a Wayans team film: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_chicks/ The Rotten Tomatoes critics gave it a 15% although the hoi polloi rated it at 55%. I gave it 5 stars just because. (My daughter also thought it stunk. My wife looked at the cover and refused to even consider checking out the trailer.)

When thinking about these old comedies, "White Chicks" and "Bewitched" have some similarities besides the irrelevant one that Rotten Tomatoes thought they were both rotten. "White Chicks" was written by men (Keenen Ivory Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Michael Anthony Snowden, Marlon Wayans, Andy McElfresh). "Bewitched" was written by Nora Ephron and Delia Ephron, females. There are many touching moments in "Bewitched". In "White Chicks" those sweet moments probably lasted under two minutes accompanied by mushy soundtrack so you wouldn't miss them, but quality is better than quantity. "Bewitched" makes men look stupid, but endearing. "White Chicks" makes women look stupid, but irresistible. And so far I can't think of any similarities except that I gave them both 10/10.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I see your ratings are about as meaningful as mine, YesNo, since I give almost everything a 7 or above, lol. Also love your comparison of "White Chicks" and "Bewitched," two rather lame comedies. I did enjoy your breakdown of the male/female perspective of the two movies.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    "White Chicks" was written by men (Keenen Ivory Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Michael Anthony Snowden, Marlon Wayans, Andy McElfresh). "Bewitched" was written by Nora Ephron and Delia Ephron, females.
    Another important difference:. In 'White Chicks", the leading women were played by men, whereas in Bewitched, they are played by women.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Yeah, in "White Chicks" those FBI agents had to go deep undercover. They are both lame comedies. That is probably why I enjoyed them.

I'm thinking of re-watching "Scary Movie 3".

Blog Entries
    I never really got White Chicks... One Wayan movie I did love as a kid was a Damon Wayans film, Major Payne. I still advise people to break a finger when I am tired of listening to them complain about some ache or another. The Major Payne way.

Talking about re-watching movies, I have been watching movies I loved as a kid and hoping my son will love them too. Look who's talking movies and just last weekend I watched Turner and Hooch, I love dog movies.

I watch John Hughes teen movies every now and then, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink and 16 Candles, Ducky is one of my favourite Hughes character.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I think John Hughes did "Home Alone" also. That was pretty good and it is the one I remember. My daughters went to the high school featured in "The Breakfast Club". I can't remember what that film was about. I'll have to watch it again.

Blog Entries
    Yeah he did "Home alone" and the first "Beethoven", at least maybe more, both very good family movies. I think he also did "Ferris Bueller's day off". I read an interesting review of that movie once where it was speculated that the whole movie was Ferris' friend Camerons imagination.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Pride + Prejudice + Zombies: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pri...e_and_zombies/

This is another one that Rotten Tomatoes thought was rotten, but I was able to finish it. Admittedly it didn't make a lot of sense.

Score: 6/10

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Tale of Love and Darkness- Moving and poetic account of the childhood of Amos Oz based on the memories of the writer! Nathalie Portman´s debut as director.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WOwnykhrAI
    Score:10/10
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    What language is this in - Yiddish?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it to be modern Hebrew, DW.
    The written signs that appear are similar to these ones.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Hebrew
    I don´t think it is Yiddish because Yiddish is a bit similar to German.
    I managed to identify just three words:
    Adam= man
    Eden= paradise
    Ima= mama
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 06-20-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row