Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 451 of 478 FirstFirst ... 351401441446447448449450451452453454455456461 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    OMG

Dumb and Dumber To was in the library.

I checked it out.

Harry (Jeff Daniels) was looking for his abandoned daughter (Rachel Melvin) to see if she'd give him a kidney. After they find her, there's evidence to suggest that Lloyd (Jim Carrey) was really her father. The mother (Kathleen Turner) has reason to believe they might both be wrong. There are bad guys trying to kill them. I think I spoiled too much of the plot already.

Score: 10/10
    Last edited by YesNo; 02-24-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    I saw another comedy in the stupid category last night: The Interview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Int...282014_film%29

Franco and Rogen star as two characters who are going to interview Kim Jong and assassinate him. They delightfully mess everything up.

Score: 10/10

Blog Entries
    After a long day of studying yesterday I turned on my tv and found Animal planet, I like that tv station but last night there was a movie on, called: Blood Lake the attack of the killer lampreys

fish attacking humans, I'm not gonna rate it but I have to admit I couldn't stop watching
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I just finished watching "Hector and the Search for Happiness". I guess this would be a rom-com. Instead of the boy chasing the girl to the airport he leaves on a plane without her in search for happiness. It is not the kind of movie I expected Simon Pegg to be in. Where are the zombies? Where is the of the end of the world? But he does seem to figure it out in the end.

Score 10/10

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel with a friend yesterday, who said he had liked it the first time he saw it. I hated it and only finished because he said he had liked it; after it was over we each foud out that the other hadn't liked it either! He had changed his mind on a second viewing.

Blog Entries
    double trouble a presley film. good entertainment
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A Most Wanted Man -- excellent Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    Whiplash -- excellent J.K. Simmons
    The Sapphires -- fascinating, recommend it, on Netflix

Very tough and serious film -- '71, as in Belfast, Ireland in 1971. Very involved and suspenseful. Exceptional directing, fine acting.

Blog Entries
    I saw "Ghost World" last night. Two high school graduates have to transition into a larger reality. One makes it OK. The other finds a bus.

Score: 8/10

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I saw "Ghost World" last night. Two high school graduates have to transition into a larger reality. One makes it OK. The other finds a bus.

Interesting movie. It was based on a graphic novel.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it had that introspective, graphic novel feel about it and the main character liked to draw. My favorite movie that came from a comic was Posy Simmond's "Tamara Drewe".

I saw Gabe Polsky's documentary "Red Army" last night. It's about the Soviet hockey teams of the 70s and 80s, and concentrates on the career of Slava Fetisov, one of the all-time great defensemen. Fetisov is now the Minister of Sport for Russia, and he's clearly a charismatic character, in a phlegmatic, Russian manner. The movie contrasts the methods and style of legendary Soviet coach Anatoly Tarasov (whose, daughter, by the way, is the world's most famous figure skating coach) and his successor, the KGB-man Viktor Tikhonov.

The viewer revisits the Cold War, attempts by Russian players to get high-paying NHL jobs, and the nationalism that was a part of the sport. Fetisov and his famous "Russian 5" line mates dazzle the North Americans with their fluid play, and move on to success in the NHL. I'm about the same age as they are, played and coached college hockey, and idolized the Soviet style of play, so I liked the movie. So did my girlfriend, who hates watching sports in general, though.

Closed

It's interesting to me, Y/N, that we had opposite interpretations of the end of this film. I haven't seen it for many years, but my memory is that the girl you say "makes it OK" failed to leave the "ghost world" of their petty and insipid little town, and that the one who got on the bus was the one who made it okay.

Blog Entries
    I think you are right about the author's intent in Ghost World, Pompey Bum, although I have not read the graphic novel.

However, it could also be viewed the other way. The girl who followed the old man on the bus vanished into the ghost world like the old man did. She scorned the petty and insipid world and caused personal damage to those around her. That she caused damage to others makes me think that her view of reality was wrong, or "ghost"-like.

Closed
    I think you are right about the author's intent in Ghost World, Pompey Bum, although I have not read the graphic novel.

However, it could also be viewed the other way. The girl who followed the old man on the bus vanished into the ghost world like the old man did. She scorned the petty and insipid world and caused personal damage to those around her. That she caused damage to others makes me think that her view of reality was wrong, or "ghost"-like.
    My disagreement with your perspective (which I respect, by the way) is that a kind of harm also befell the girl who stayed. Her free spirit and potential were crunched into the cheap and controlling needs of the town (didn't she become a popcorn vendor at a local cinema or something?) The girl who left, however, remains free in a world where big girls and big boys have to deal with a little hurt sometimes. But I guess the title could be taken either way--or even as an indictment of both ways.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 03-26-2015 at 12:10 PM.