Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 429 of 478 FirstFirst ... 329379419424425426427428429430431432433434439 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,435 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    this movie was written by an icelandic woman so it was very popular here on the ice, I haven't seen it though. Apparently they are writing a sequel, maybe Olympus will fall again.
    It was entertaining. The bullets and bodies kept flying, perhaps too much so. It probably deserves more than the 1/10 score I gave it.

It reminded me of World War Z where the main character had to be forced to help, even though all those zombies were running around. You would think he would want to help to protect his family. The same thing with the president ordering the other two (I don't remember them or their titles) to give up their passwords to save their own lives. It just doesn't make sense to do that if those passwords would unlock a nuclear arsenal.

Blog Entries
    I was mainly pointing out how easy it is to get people from the ice to the movies if you tell them someone from around here worked on it. We have the phrase 'known all over the world in Iceland' about everyone who does something in America.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    We saw Now and Then last night. It could be portrayed as sentimental, but it seemed realistic. Score: 8/10

The town mentioned in the movie was Shelby, Indiana, which was near where I lived as a child. After I looked it up, the town was actually Winchester, Indiana, on the other side of the state. That was a bit disappointing, but I realized while watching that movie that whatever town they were showing, it didn't looked like the Shelby I remembered.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Catching Fire. I liked it. 9/10 While not great literature by any means, Suzanne Collins knows how to tell a good story and she has given us a memorable character in Katniss Everdene. I personally like the moral conundrums she is constantly faced with and the fact that she always makes an attempt to get through them honorably, while at the same time being quite pragmatic. I also think Collins has given us, within her limited style, quite a lot to think about in terms of what is perception, and what is reality, and how very, very often people conflate the two, particularly in terms of celebrity, in this instance, anyway, and it's certainly a reflection of our own culture.

The Heat. While it isn't really good at all, it was fun. 6/10
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    I saw The Heat recently as well. Actually, I was looking forward to it having seen some of the previews. A score of 6/10 seems about right, although I might see it again.

We saw The Trip: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740047/ where Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon take a tour of northern England to provide restaurant reviews. The scenery was beautiful and I loved those narrow English roads they drove on. The chitchat was pretty good, but after the two flings Coogan had, I was getting a little tired of it and almost stopped watching, however, I think it is worth putting up with this until the very end, after their trip is finished and they separate and get back each to their own homes. It puts everything in perspective in an unusual way. Score 9/10.
    Last edited by YesNo; 12-01-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Last movie would be " A Seperation" 9/10
    Her heart is played like well worn strings; in her eyes the sadness sings; of one who was destined for better things.

Blog Entries
    This weekend I showed my son some children classics (you can debate if they count as such) from my childhood. 'Babe' the little pig, Animal Farm for kids, I love that movie. Also we saw 'The Princess Bride' on Friday and he has said 'I am Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die' about a thousand times.

Babe- 8/10
    The Princess Bride- 7.95/10
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - I'm not sure of a rating, but I thought it was merely alright.

I thought it much better than the first film, and I want to see where this series ends up, but I can't call it a great film. I can't even call it a very good film really, but it was fun enough. I saw it when I was on a date, and her and I both wanted to see it because I had seen the first one and she had heard good things about this film. My date liked it well enough, and I thought it was enjoyable. I'm glad I saw it, I just was not terribly impressed.
    Last edited by Poetaster; 12-01-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Poor wording the first time around.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Blog Entries
    I saw RED 2 last night. Very entertaining. Right up there with Knight and Day. Score: 9/10

I saw “Hunger Games” and “Gravity” recently. “Gravity” has received generally good reviews, but I didn’t like it. It was beautiful – the Earth looked great from orbit, reminding me of the line describing it in “Journey to the Moon” by Archibald MacLiesh. However, the movie didn’t work as a thriller. It jumped right into the action – so we didn’t get to know the characters at all. Some viewers (perhaps) care about Sandra Bullock simply because she is America’s sweetheart – but that wasn’t enough for me. The film made some futile attempts to doctor up some sympathy for its heroine by informing us that her child had been killed in an accident. The effort seemed forced, as if the screenwriter knew he hadn’t done his job and was stretching for an ex deus machina with which to involve the audience.

The new “Hunger Games” movie was a mess. I’ve read the books (I’m not sure why), so I was able to follow the plot. I doubt non-readers were able to. The movie was simply incompetently done. To me, this is strange. The first movie grossed $200 million (or more). Can’t they hire a director and screenwriter who can tell a simple story in a minimally competent manner? Someone must have spent millions upon millions of dollars for the stars, the special effects, and the book rights. Spend a few grand for a screenwriter, for goodness sake. Every time Donald Sutherland came on the screen playing the evil President Snow I wanted to go out for popcorn, just so I wouldn’t have to see his trite and predictable performance. J Law (America’s new sweetheart) is a good actress, but utterly unbelievable as a Hunger Games’ winner (she’s completely unathletic – she can’t even run, as she proved in her Academy Award winning turn in the horrid “Silver Lining Playbook”). Oh, well. Maybe next time.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey, I didn't say I would qualify as a movie reviewer! I've read the book, so, yeah, I could follow the plot. I actually do like some "good" movies, and I know this does not rank as art, but as fun. I had fun, that's all I'm sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    This weekend I showed my son some children classics (you can debate if they count as such) from my childhood. 'Babe' the little pig, Animal Farm for kids, I love that movie. Also we saw 'The Princess Bride' on Friday and he has said 'I am Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die' about a thousand times.

Babe- 8/10
    The Princess Bride- 7.95/10
    Both are completely adorable. "The Princess Bride" is one of my favorites and that line is one of my favorite movie lines of all time.
    Last edited by qimissung; 12-02-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: same poster
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

I watched (again) "Fargo" it is classd es "An American Masterpiece" 10/10

Blog Entries
    I finished watching the first three episodes of the first series of Dr Who. It is about as much as I can handle in one setting.

This was from the ninth set of episodes with the doctor played by Christopher Eccleston starting in 2005: tardis.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_television_stories.

I found out about Dr Who a few weeks ago. It was more entertaining that I expected. Score 7/10
    Last edited by YesNo; 12-03-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Reading mixed reviews about Hunger Games and Catching Fire I am tempted to see them both.

I watched a couple of movies on weekend. Welcome to the Punch was a waste of time; that’s all I have to say about it and it gets 3/10. Yes, I’m too generous!

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was good, though it was more action packed than the first part but personally I enjoyed its previous movie better. 6/10

Really enjoyed "Pumpkin Eater" starring Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch, the closing look the two exchanged was wonderful, not a word needed to be spoken!! 7/10