Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 457 of 478 FirstFirst ... 357407447452453454455456457458459460461462467 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,855 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    People Places Things: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/people_places_things/

Will is a graphic artist and teacher. During their twin daughter's fifth birthday party he finds (I assume) his wife upstairs having sex with one of the party guests. This destroys their relationship but it takes about a year for the dust to settle and for both of them to move on. The kids are charming and the two fight scenes these guys have are more realistic than any I've seen in any movie. Don't worry. It's a comedy. Will finds someone better.

This was written and directed by James C. Strouse and it was done so well I plan to look for more of his movies.

Score: 10/10
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-11-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Grace Is Gone: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/grace_is_gone/

This is another movie written and directed by James C. Strouse.

Like "People Places Things" this is a story about a father and two young daughters and a problem with the mother. In this movie Stanley's wife is killed in Iraq and he doesn't know how to tell his daughters what happened. Instead he takes them on a road trip first to visit his mother where he finds his brother and then on to an amusement park in Florida. The oldest daughter, about 13, suspects something is wrong, but the youngest, under 10, is still innocent until the end. It is only after they had a day at the amusement park that he parks by a beach. They sit on the sand and Stanley tells his daughters what happened to their mother.

last night I watched the maze runner. if I can get by without giving it a number rating---the movie was utterly riveting. the mystery of "what/why/who/how" grabs you from the very beginning and takes you to the very end, where, since its a part of a series, gives you just a little insight, but then leaves you hanging and wanting to come back for more.

if you like dystopian type stuff (a group of youths living in a glade inside a gigantic maze), I cannot recommend this movie enough. I loved it!

The Snorkel (1958)

Peter van Eyck, the one time archetypal villain of British films runs true to form in this story set in a sumptuous mansion on the Italian riviera. He is the husband of a wealthy woman who plans to murder his wife for her money and devises a clever scheme which will make it look like suicide.
    Having drugged her, he seals and locks the door before turning on all the gas lamps in the room; protecting himself by wearing a snorkel before disappearing through a concealed trapdoor leading to a cellar.
    The police are convinced that the woman took her own life but her daughter by her first marriage arrives from England for the school holidays and, due to the fact that she witnessed him kill her father in what was made to look like an accident, suspects that her stepfather has done the deed.
    The rest of the story concerns how she works out how it was done and the eventual comeuppance of the killer.
    Apart from the usual plot holes, it's an enjoyably unpretentious little film in b/w minus the swearing and unnecessary sex and violence that characterises present-day rubbish.

7/10
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Clueless: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clueless

This is a sweet fairy tale rom-com written and directed by Amy Heckerling. It was on display because it was selected as one of the 100 best comedies by some writers group. I keep trying to get cultured and so I am a sucker for such displays.

Anyway, I realized I saw this before, but the memories were positive. Apparently this is based on Austen's novel "Emma". It is the story of how Cher (Alicia Silverstone), a sixteen year old rich and popular girl, helps her classmates get better grades by getting the two toughest grading teachers to fall in love and how she plays matchmaker for a new girl in school. She mother-hens her lawyer father as well. Between shopping and taking care of people she barely has time for school. She needs a boyfriend, but high school boys are beneath her sense of social status until she met a new student who dressed as well as she did and she gave it her best shot unaware that he was gay. Fortunately, there is a college age male (Paul Rudd) who is the son of a woman her father divorced after her mother died whom she scorns as a brother, but since he isn't biologically her brother, well, this is a rom-com and someone is going to be her boyfriend.

I'm usually critical of what pops up in the 100 best of anything lists, but in this case, they got it right.

The Stalls of Barchester

This BBC television adaptation of one of M.R.James's ghost stories is very atmospheric in the way that only the English can be. No in your face effects but truly eerie in their presentation.
    I imagine that the author took Barchester from Trollope's novels and the ecclesiastical setting is perfectly captured.
    Told in flashback by a scholarly librarian who is cataloguing the cathedral's library. He is reading about a former arch deacon who
    came into the office having waited years from his predecessor to die and it's hinted that the new man was complicit in the older man's death : something that has very unnerving consequences for the younger man.

!0/10

https://youtu.be/dcZu1SzPwCE
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha, was it well-acted, yesno? I read that in college, but as it was a number of years ago I have absolutely no memory of the plot. I remember Dagny's name, and I remember she had a coming out party at the beginning and she became very disillusioned with people and society by the end of it, if I remember correctly.

The play sounds really good, Helga. There's a movie based on "MacBeth" coming out soon that I'd love to see.

I went to see "Spotlight" which is the story of the journalists who shone the "spotlight" on the Catholic priests who were sexually abusing children. The name of the movie comes from the name of the group who worked at The Boston Globe doing deep research on various stories over a long period of time. The movie was excellent, told in a very understated way, focusing on the research and the determination of the journalists to tell the story well and to expose the systemic cover-up of the abuse, which stretched from local churches up to the Vatican itself. 9/10
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    Haha, was it well-acted, yesno? I read that in college, but as it was a number of years ago I have absolutely no memory of the plot. I remember Dagny's name, and I remember she had a coming out party at the beginning and she became very disillusioned with people and society by the end of it, if I remember correctly.
    I can't remember Emma either. The acting in Clueless was so realistically unreal that I knew it was a fantasy and at the same time I could identify with the characters.

Some of the comedies I have seen lately are so unreal I don't know what to think. For example, there's "The Night Before" (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_night_before_2015/). My favorite character was the girl (Ilana Glazer) who called herself Rebecca Grinch. (Score 5/10)
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Jurassic World
    The son was home for the Thanksgiving break.
    With nothing planned on a rainy Saturday night, the three of us watched JW, this is what compromise gets you.
    It turned out the only version available was in 3-d leaving us with a dual or split screen format, so I found a piece of board to cover half the TV screen.
    Anyhow, the acting was a predictable, 10 pound block of processed cheddar.
    The action parts may have been worthwhile on a theater screen, but watching on half of a 33 inch TV screen...meh.

4/10 - I like the concept of trained velociraptors.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Suffragette -- superb film!
    Brooklyn -- fine film.
    t.v. Miss Fisher (private detective in Australia) on Netflix -- spunky.

The Transporter: Refueled

As a fan of the original, Jason Statham Transporter movies, I thought I'd give this latest version a try, suspecting though I did, from watching the trailer, that it would be sliced excrement. Well, the trailer turns out to have been well-made. Mind you, rectal though the film was, I did sit through it, which is more than I can say for most movies nowadays. I guess a little mindless action, combined with long-legged beautiful women and fast cars speeding down the roads of Morocco is balm for the soul. Or something.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Blog Entries
    Wrongfully Accused: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Wrongfully_Accused/

I've seen worse.

Score 6/10

Teenagers from Outer Space (1959)

Back in the 1950s, Hollywood discovered the teenager, hence: Teenagers from Outer Space.
    Although somewhat older than teenagers, the alien visitors are bent on trouble with the intention of using the Earth as a breeding ground for monsters: a specimen of which they have brought with them.
    Equipped with an appalling script, they also have a ray gun that reduces vertebrates to skeletons ....." You are not familiar with the focusing disintigrator ray?" and with equally risible performances it gets a 2/10 because the cast managed their lines without laughing.

Emil, I enjoyed that review and got a chortle out of it. Next time I see some risible movie involving teenagers and the paranormal listed in iTunes (this time tomorrow, very likely), I'll remember they were making such fecal matter as far back as 1959.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Re. The aliens being "somewhat older than teenagers": Traditionally, the actors were as well.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi