Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 307 of 478 FirstFirst ... 207257297302303304305306307308309310311312317357407 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyth View Post
    I saw "Transformers 2". What can I say...more transformers, more explosions, more stupidity. I'd expected something like the first film, but nevertheless facepalmed. Michael Bay, stay on course! For the greatest justice and brave US army!
    I just saw it too, and I was pretty pleased. Mind you I don't have high expectations for action films and a simple good vs evil plot tends to do it just fine for me... especially when you mix in some hot looking cars, planes, and cool explosions I'm such a non girl in that as I love things where stuff just gets blown up. I can say my husband, who has served on an aircraft carrier, was very pleased with the plane/carrier sequences. All in all, I think if you liked the first, then you will like this as well. I don't think the plot was any worse or better, and I think the development of plot and characters was similar.

I just saw it too, and I was pretty pleased. Mind you I don't have high expectations for action films and a simple good vs evil plot tends to do it just fine for me... especially when you mix in some hot looking cars, planes, and cool explosions I'm such a non girl in that as I love things where stuff just gets blown up. I can say my husband, who has served on an aircraft carrier, was very pleased with the plane/carrier sequences. All in all, I think if you liked the first, then you will like this as well. I don't think the plot was any worse or better, and I think the development of plot and characters was similar.
    I'm really tired of simple "good vs evil" films and saw this one to estimate "film of the year". I like mecha, but there was nothing to watch except battle scenes. May be I was too sceptical, what I saw was only a set of cliches I'd seen before.
    Sure, for transformers fans that doesn't matter at all.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    I started watching Dracula last night with high hopes because it stars my favourite actor and one of my lesser favourites, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman and is directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I had to stop part way through- I just wasn't in the right mood I guess. The costuming and blatantly sexual everything were irritating.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    I started watching Dracula last night with high hopes because it stars my favourite actor and one of my lesser favourites, Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman and is directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I had to stop part way through- I just wasn't in the right mood I guess. The costuming and blatantly sexual everything were irritating.
    *Classic* - it's not just you. I found that movie irritating myself. Isn't Keena Reeves (sp?) in it, also? I just recall those outlandish outfits for Dracula. I love Oldman and Hopkins too, but these were not their finest moments. I saw the film years ago with my son when it first came up for rental; but I was not too impressed actually. I found the Extra Features actually more interesting than the film. I just got totally bored with the film after awhile....too silly and some of the acting was just plain laughable.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    *Classic* - it's not just you. I found that movie irritating myself. Isn't Keena Reeves (sp?) in it, also? I just recall those outlandish outfits for Dracula. I love Oldman and Hopkins too, but these were not their finest moments. I saw the film years ago with my son when it first came up for rental; but I was not too impressed actually. I found the Extra Features actually more interesting than the film. I just got totally bored with the film after awhile....too silly and some of the acting was just plain laughable.
    Oh my goodness, Jeanu Reeves is just TERRIBLE. He's just a bad, bad actor who doesn't even warrant mention haha. Yeah, I was just really unimpressed and disappointed. Maybe I'll try again sometime? I don't know...I didn't even watch the special features!
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries

I am a big Vampire Fan you know that - I could not stand this movie either.
    I am back............................

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, Jeanu Reeves is just TERRIBLE. He's just a bad, bad actor who doesn't even warrant mention haha. Yeah, I was just really unimpressed and disappointed. Maybe I'll try again sometime? I don't know...I didn't even watch the special features!
    Joreads and *Classic*, you both seem to have good taste in movies. I agree with both of you in your disappointment with this one. It just seemed so corny to me. I don't recall much about it; only two things stood out after all these years - firstly, Jeanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles. But back to this film; the second thing that stood out to me and I recall is the stupid way Dracula crept up and down the walls of the castle, like some strange alien or insect. What the heck was that all about? I don't think that was in the original book, was it? I am yet to read the book; I think that's partly because the movie turned me off to the story, which is a darn shame. Afterall, I am sure it's a terrific novel.

Blog Entries
    Joreads and *Classic*, you both seem to have good taste in movies. I agree with both of you in your disappointment with this one. It just seemed so corny to me. I don't recall much about it; only two things stood out after all these years - firstly, Jeanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles. But back to this film; the second thing that stood out to me and I recall is the stupid way Dracula crept up and down the walls of the castle, like some strange alien or insect. What the heck was that all about? I don't think that was in the original book, was it? I am yet to read the book; I think that's partly because the movie turned me off to the story, which is a darn shame. Afterall, I am sure it's a terrific novel.
    Janine it has been a while since I read the novel but I seem to recall he did crawl up and down the walls I cannot remember how it was described in the book though. I will have to dust it off and have a look.
    I am back............................

...Keanu Reeves was just dreadful! You are right *Classic* he cannot act, period. He's the weakest actor in Kenneth Branagh's fine film "Much Ado About Nothing"; I winch ever time I see that performance. It's totally flat. Barring his role and Michael Keaton's as crazy Dogberry, it would have been a 10/10 film for me. I still don't know why Branagh chose those two for such key roles.
    Hi Janine! I was just checking recent posts, and saw you go off on a tangent about Much Ado. I can't remember Dracula too well--just the brief Absinthe commercial in the middle somewhere (it looked like a commercial to me, anyhow). But Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

I read or saw on a program somewhere somebody saying how great it was that the bad-guy (Keanu) was disposed of swiftly and effortlessly, an event of little consequence. I think it might've been a PBS analysis during a pledge-drive break, or something at the end of a VHS tape, I don't know... At the time, I just said to myself, "Yeah, that's cool." All the drama was about the couples, and I had worn a smile the whole way through. "Much Ado About Nothing!" Anyhow, I had an ex-girlfriend that loved Keanu, so I had been happy to see him out of the picture after some brief "handsome" struggle against justice. And then that analysis left me thinking it had all been an example of the Bard's brilliance.

I later checked into things, read the whole play, etc., and it turned out the bad-guy had a bit bigger role in the original script/play as written by Shakespeare, so I guess you're right to be disappointed in Keanu's role, especially if you're a big fan of the play. But it might be Branagh's fault too, a bit. I think he might've had less to work with than a stage actor would. Aww, what am I saying--that's crazy of me, defending Keanu!

Regarding Michael Keaton, I had thought he was gonna work out much worse, so I made it through those scenes almost feeling a sense of relief.

Well, that's the story of why I give it a 10/10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    Hi Janine! I was just checking recent posts, and saw you go off on a tangent about Much Ado. I can't remember Dracula too well--just the brief Absinthe commercial in the middle somewhere (it looked like a commercial to me, anyhow). But Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing" is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

I read or saw on a program somewhere somebody saying how great it was that the bad-guy (Keanu) was disposed of swiftly and effortlessly, an event of little consequence. I think it might've been a PBS analysis during a pledge-drive break, or something at the end of a VHS tape, I don't know... At the time, I just said to myself, "Yeah, that's cool." All the drama was about the couples, and I had worn a smile the whole way through. "Much Ado About Nothing!" Anyhow, I had an ex-girlfriend that loved Keanu, so I had been happy to see him out of the picture after some brief "handsome" struggle against justice. And then that analysis left me thinking it had all been an example of the Bard's brilliance.

I later checked into things, read the whole play, etc., and it turned out the bad-guy had a bit bigger role in the original script/play as written by Shakespeare, so I guess you're right to be disappointed in Keanu's role, especially if you're a big fan of the play. But it might be Branagh's fault too, a bit. I think he might've had less to work with than a stage actor would. Aww, what am I saying--that's crazy of me, defending Keanu!

Regarding Michael Keaton, I had thought he was gonna work out much worse, so I made it through those scenes almost feeling a sense of relief.

Well, that's the story of why I give it a 10/10.
    Hahah,...billl..... I really enjoyed your comments here. The reason being is that I am a huge Branagh fan. I hardly ever will fault him for a thing. Normally, I will overlook his flaws; not his acting ones, 'cause I don't think there are any! haha...just kidding, no one is perfect and it's true of Branagh, too. I have winced once or twice in a performance moment, but it's rate. He may have listened to his casting director as to who to pick for the various roles; it may not even be his complete fault choosing Reeves.

I own nearly all of KB films. In fact, last night I watched the most excellent production by the BBC of Ibsen's Ghosts. I have seen it a number of times by now. For your information, I adore Much Ado About Nothing also, and I have seen it dozens of times! I watch all my KB films at least 10 times, some much more. I am a bit obsessed! hahah. If MAAN put a smile on your face, have you seen his musical version of Love's Labour's Lost? I think I had a smile on my face the entire time I viewed that film. I just love it! It's such a frothy, fun movie....very witty and a beautifully artistic; it's mostly staged and one feels the excitement/fun the actors had in making this film. I love the Extras, too. I even watch those over again each time I repeat the film. It's not long at all so it flies by quickly (too quickly). I usually watch it after something super depressing to cheer myself up. It does the trick!

Well, it might be a good thing to exit Keanu's as soon as one can. His first lines were really stiff and deadpan. I was winching and hoping the whole time he had only a tiny part. He's cute and that's his strength. He is not good at Shakespeare. I just didn't expect to see Michael Keaton on the set at all so it was a bit of a shock. I suffered through his nonsense, too. I guess Ken likes his humor but I felt it was pretty over-the-top. Still all in all I give the film just under a 10/10 too. I would say 9.9/10....how's that revised rating. I think Ken's performance in it was impecable. The majority of the supporting case as well. It's a totally fun and romantic film.

@ Janine--Branagh's Much Ado is an example of something that sometimes happens to me: if I really enjoy something, I sometimes delay enjoying the next installment, save it for later. I don't know if I'm worried that they'll be different and somehow (illogically) spoil the perfection, or if I just like having plenty of good stuff to look forward to, or if (in this particular case) I just didn't want to see the movies in the theater, and then I forgot about them once the hype died down, or what. Anyhow, I haven't seen any of his other Shakespeare films, but I have been wanting to for a long time (and I already know that that means I've missed some great stuff!). Thanks for the tip on the Ibsen and the Love's Labour Lost, though, those weren't on my radar at all.

Oh i love this movie
    It is a bad adaptation of the book but somehow i didn't much care (and i am a fan of Stoker's dracula ).
    I have seen it more than 10 times. Ok i can't really say why i like it so much..i guess it's the artistic aspects, the music(one of my favorite soundtracks) and Gary (whom i love).
    Give it another try (it has Gary talking transilvanian :-)))))))))
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Coppola's Dracula is great, it's a very personal adaptation of the novel but the take on storytelling is interesting.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey Janine did you enjoy Benjamin Button? I'm curious to know what you thought about it. I enjoyed it but I admit it was quite a bit to wrap my head around! Let me know!
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

ignoramus et ignorabimus Mr Endon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manolia View Post
    Oh i love this movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark F. View Post
    Coppola's Dracula is great, it's a very personal adaptation of the novel but the take on storytelling is interesting.
    I agree.

I had to watch some Dracula adaptations for an assignment, and I thought Coppola's version was quite accomplished - much, much better than Tod Browning's 1930 version, which was absolutely dreadful. I found Van Helsing's ambiguity in Coppola's film very interesting indeed. Keanu Reeves was his usual self (even a shoe is a better actor than him), but Oldman and Hopkins were great.

As for the sexual elements: I fully support their explicit presence. Vampires are meant to play with our fascination for unrestrained violence and sexuality, so why not be honest about it
    I am still alive then. That may come in useful.
    Molloy