Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 437 of 478 FirstFirst ... 337387427432433434435436437438439440441442447 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

I loved Princess Mononoke, but only liked Spirited Away. I still haven't seen Nausicaa, but I have the manga, and that's excellent.

I liked The Woman in Black a lot, but I'm also a big fan of old-school ghost stories to begin with.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    I just watched Howl's Moving Castle: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347149/

Score: 8/10

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just finished Grave of the Fireflies, and yes, it was oh so sad and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykren View Post
    I just finished Grave of the Fireflies, and yes, it was oh so sad and beautiful.
    It's in my Top 20 for a reason.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Since we're on anime...

It's not a movie, but those of you who like cyberpunk and unraveling symbolism should check out the 13-episode anime series Serial Experiments: Lain. All the reviews I read said the same thing: It's slow and weird, but has lots of good ideas and depth. I've watched it twice so far and enjoyed it a lot both times. The opening sequence gives a pretty good idea of the look and feel (nice song, too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CXmEUwvgM
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Serial Experiments Lain is quite good, but I think it's a tad overrated. I think it hints towards more than it actually offers, and feel the strongest aspect is its expressionistic, surreal visuals. The other two Ueda/ABe series (Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze) are far superior, IMO.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Blog Entries
    Bad Grandpa: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3063516/

Don't watch this movie.

Just kidding. I'm tempted to watch it again, now that I saw it on display in the library. The first time I saw it with my wife. I'm glad she picked it out and not me. It is a little gross and I didn't realize at first that not all the people in the movie knew they were part of a movie until it was over. There is a diner scene that I did not expect and another when the grandpa was sitting in the driver's seat, parked, waiting for something and pounding on the steering wheel as if it were a drum to the music on the radio.

I'm easily entertained.

Score: 10/10

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Last weekend I watched the 1962 classic The Day of the Triffids (TDOTT)after stumbling upon it while searching for trailer to The Brain That Wouldn't Die (for the bad movie thread.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055894/

TDOTT was vaguely familiar to me, a movie I recall seeing during my formative years.
    6/10 - any movie that starts with rogue meteorites instigating a bunch of trouble, automatically starts with at least a 5 on my scale.
    it's spring time here, time to keep an eye on those those bloomin flowers.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Last weekend I watched the 1962 classic The Day of the Triffids (TDOTT)after stumbling upon it while searching for trailer to The Brain That Wouldn't Die (for the bad movie thread.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055894/

TDOTT was vaguely familiar to me, a movie I recall seeing during my formative years.
    6/10 - any movie that starts with rogue meteorites instigating a bunch of trouble, automatically starts with at least a 5 on my scale.
    it's spring time here, time to keep an eye on those those bloomin flowers.

I ordered some clematis plants from a garden centre and the guy said they are putting on a foot a week now that the planting season is here. In reading about this film, I'm beginning to wonder if he actually meant real feet. At the moment they are standing in two buckets of water and I'm thinking it might be better to leave them there rather than plant them: especially as some varieties reach 40ft in height.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Deleted
    Last edited by Aere Perennius; 04-17-2014 at 12:17 PM.

The Small Back Room (1949)

This filmed version of Nigel Balchin's novel about an embittered civilian explosives' expert who has lost a foot defusing an explosive device and who is part of a small group of scientists assessing weapons for the British government during WWII, was directed by the eminent Powell & Pressburger team. It's a very good example of how Britain relied on brainpower as well as firepower in wartime. It's also a human drama that shows how, even in during a war, politicians seek to enhance their own status at the expense of the war effort. The Germans are dropping booby-trapped bombs that look perfectly innocuous but the main character in the film, who is strongly reliant on whiskey, decides to undertake the dismantling of one of the devices after an army officer colleague has been killed in a similar attempt. Forget storming the beaches while chewing a cigar, this is the other side of war and a lot more believable. 10/10
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I ordered some clematis plants...
    ...they are putting on a foot a week...
    ...At the moment they are standing in two buckets of water...
    Just add some salt..hold on...SPOILER ALERT...to the water.

It turns out salt water was the triffids' Achilles heel so the speak.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Just add some salt..hold on...SPOILER ALERT...to the water.

It turns out salt water was the triffids' Achilles heel so the speak.

Too late! They are already planted but I shall be keeping an eye on those long tendrils that are the hallmark of clematis.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I just watched Howl's Moving Castle: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347149/

Score: 8/10
    I saw it last year and gave it 7/10. It's quite good.

I've been watching some BBC Documentaries recently and immensely enjoyed these series. If you guys have teeny-tiny interest in the wildlife (like me) then I would recommend Africa: Eye to eye with the unknown. It is an amazing ride into the untouched wilderness - 9/10.
    Now I long to visit Africa.

Also watched Himalayas (The Natural World) although there was no reference to K2 or Nanga Parbat, but it revealed the lives of beautiful animals like snow leopards and markhors. It gets 8/10.

Today saw Earth (2007) it was good but there was something missing (David Attenborough I guess ). 7/10

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean the one called Planet Earth, Snowqueen? Which has Sigourney Weaver instead of the omnipresent David Attenborough () That was beautiful, so gorgeous. Made me want to get to see any part of the world besides where I am now.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka