Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Authors

Originally posted by fayefaye
    demona-koa isn't touchy, she just wanted to share her opinion.
    khm...I would appreciate your spelling my name as it is displayed on the forum and I think that Koa can speak up for herself.

Ooops, someone needs me to ring a bell or throw a white towel into the ring?

Faye, if you do like my posts, then you're as crazy as I thought
    I have a plan: attack!

smeghead
    yeah, I think I'm going nuts!!

Demona- I spelt it demona. apart from the capital, there's no real difference. Leave me be!
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Originally posted by fayefaye
    Demona- I spelt it demona. apart from the capital, there's no real difference. Leave me be!
    There is for me.

I guess it would definitely have to be Mary Shelley.
    But let's not forget that she was depressed most of the time. Husband's death ring a bell to you?? Okaay, what about her son's death?? I don't think she would have cared to put on some makeup.
    Doesn't really matter anyways, because she was a great authoress. Most poets/authors at that time wrote to relieve themselves of their personal conflicts with their outward appearances because society deemed them "not appealing enough".
    Being happy does mean you're
    perfect, it simply means you are
    able to see past the imperfections

Yeah I am touchy, so what? Among the many things I find it hard to stand, there are fussy people. What are you going to complain about next? Our punctuation maybe? Discussing photos of authors can not matter to some, capitals don't matter to others... Can't we just all live???

Just out of curiosity, Demona, what where you trying to find out? How easy it is to wake up my touchy side? Or did you feel the need to come out with the 'appearance doesn't matter' thing, as noone had done that yet and we needed a rethorical remark like that cos we're evidently here to judge like n a beauty contest?

*takes a deep breath* OK I don't want to sound (too) nasty but honestly I don't like your attitude, sorry if I am too bitter but I can't help it. I'll try not to get so flamed again from now on, but I needed to.
    Last edited by Koa; 01-31-2004 at 05:44 PM.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Originally posted by sine
    I guess it would definitely have to be Mary Shelley.
    But let's not forget that she was depressed most of the time. Husband's death ring a bell to you?? Okaay, what about her son's death?? I don't think she would have cared to put on some makeup.
    Yeah. That wasn't a happy marriage, to say the least.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Originally posted by Koa
    Yeah I am touchy, so what? Among the many things I find it hard to stand, there are fussy people. What are you going to complain about next? Our punctuation maybe? Discussing photos of authors can not matter to some, capitals don't matter to others... Can't we just all live???

Just out of curiosity, Demona, what where you trying to find out? How easy it is to wake up my touchy side? Or did you feel the need to come out with the 'appearance doesn't matter' thing, as noone had done that yet and we needed a rethorical remark like that cos we're evidently here to judge like n a beauty contest?

*takes a deep breath* OK I don't want to sound (too) nasty but honestly I don't like your attitude, sorry if I am too bitter but I can't help it. I'll try not to get so flamed again from now on, but I needed to.
    And after that you actually say that I am fussy? LOL
    Take it easy. Everybody is allowed to share his/her opinion. If you don't like mine - it is not my problem
    Who can actually define what is "beauty"? It is a purely subjective topic...besides even if all participants come to the same conclusion that someone is definitely the most beautiful or the ugliest - then what?

Anyway, it is your business, from now on I'm out of this topic and not going to answer any of the comments in my address.

have a nice day!

and yeah, Koa, thanks for spelling my name correctly. I appreciate that heh

*Trying to keep her mouth shut ... succeeding as far *
    I have a plan: attack!

I wonder where the hell we were trying to define beauty.

It's easy to say beauty doesnt matter and all that sort of stuff, but people DO care about it, otherwise I would have been a supermodel, not the fat ugly teenager some years ago.

And most of all, that had nothing to with authors. It wasn't a beauty contest, just a way to realise that those words we read were written by a human hand, not a spirit.

I'm surely talking to myself, but unlike Jay I'm very very bad at shutting up (I do talk too much infact ).
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

I would like to address the Mary Shelly issue because I agree that the picture on this site is terrible. But she was actually known as a beauty. Here's a link to another picture:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~androom/major/choice.htm

And I don't think there was anything personally wrong with her marriage to Percy, she was depressed because she kept having miscarriages due to Percy dragging her out of her home in the middle of the night to move because he couldn't pay the rent. And the children she did have all ended up dying except her son Percy who turned out to be rather a literary disappointment.

She very much loved her husband and was devistated when he drowned.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Originally posted by Shea
    And I don't think there was anything personally wrong with her marriage to Percy.
    From what I know, everything was wrong with that marriage. Their relationship was always a cold one, Percy kept cheating on her (with her knowledge) and he never respected her writing skills. He edited quite a few things in Frankenstein.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Hmm, I had some trouble finding those things in biographies, but then I also had trouble find the things my instructor said about her as well.

From the sound of that poem ("The Choice" on the link for her picture) and the fact that she never married again (though I know she had a fling) I wouldn't say that she had an all over miserable marriage. Another factor to throw in is that when her mother was alive, her parents openly had affairs with other people. Her father would still "preach" that lifestyle, but I think when it happened to his own daughter, he didn't like it. But perhaps Mary didn't put up much of a fuss with it. In fact, I don't really know of much of anything she put up much of a fuss over. She was too busy mourning deaths.

I wonder why instructors require sources from students, but if they're lecturing, they don't have to tell their students where they got their information! If you have any good sources for info, I'd appreciate them!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Hmm, I had some trouble finding those things in biographies, but then I also had trouble find the things my instructor said about her as well.
    From the sound of that poem ("The Choice" on the link for her picture) and the fact that she never married again (though I know she had a fling) I wouldn't say that she had an all over miserable marriage. Another factor to throw in is that when her mother was alive, her parents openly had affairs with other people. Her father would still "preach" that lifestyle, but I think when it happened to his own daughter, he didn't like it. But perhaps Mary didn't put up much of a fuss with it. In fact, I don't really know of much of anything she put up much of a fuss over. She was too busy mourning deaths.
    Yeah, point. Maybe she didn't find it that bad, and it's my modern view that makes me perceive it as a fu**ed marriage. They were kinda open minded about the fling stuff.
    I wonder why instructors require sources from students, but if they're lecturing, they don't have to tell their students where they got their information! If you have any good sources for info, I'd appreciate them!
    Shea, are you talking in general or specifically about Mary shelley? Most of the stuff I mentioned I got from literature in high school and the introduction to my copy of Frankenstein (Cátedra Ediciones, which is in spanish). Also, you might want to check out the movie Gothic. It's an entertaining movie about some of the elements of gothic and it shows a bit on the relationship of Mary and Percy Shelley, Lord Byron, Claire Claremont, and William Polidori.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast