Thread: Art world thrillers

Art world thrillers

I wouldn't say it is a genre in itself, though maybe it is? But I have become increasingly more interested in historical, thriller fiction regarding the art world (NO Da Vinci Code)

Wondering if any of you have read any good novels that classify ?

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not historical, per se, but Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch is set in the arts/antiques world and is a thriller and an amazing read. Made me very curious about the painting.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The intelligent man's Da Vinci Code is Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum - a very clever and absorbing thriller that mixes art, science and conspiracy theories.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red.

The "Thriller" in general is such a dated form of entertainment. The general feeling I get is that the "thriller" is better on the screen, in that the screen provides both music and visuals, which stimulate the audience more.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    The Recognitions by William Gaddis is about the art world. I would very much like to read it as soon as I can obtain a copy, despite the fact that many, including Jonathan Franzen, consider it to be one of the most difficult books ever written.

A major character in Richard Russo's The Bridge of Sighs is an artist, though the novel isn't a "thriller," per se. (The book thrilled me, though.)

Likewise the Gulley Jimpson trilogy by Joyce Carey.

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    You might try out Sisters by Brigitte Lozerec'h. It's wrapped up in avant-garde world of early Twentieth Century Paris, though it is not really a thriller. Quite a brilliant book though.

Iain Pears writes these kind of entertainments. Pears is like Graham Greene in that he has two types of novel. He's much more interesting than GG though as he has a sense of humour.

Blog Entries
    The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte is intersting.

Not exzactly Historical but The Art Forger by B.A Shapiro was quite fascinating.

And if you enjoy books about art and mysteries around art it is Non-fiction but The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr is really good.
    Last edited by Dark Muse; 01-07-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe