Thread: Paradise Lost question

Smile Paradise Lost question

Hi! My professor has asked my class to answer this question in a 4 page essay. I was wondering what you guys think are the most important elements & if you had some ideas as to what direction I should go with this paper. Thanks.

Q: "Satan's character: how does it develop and change in the course of Paradise Lost?"

THANKS AGAIN!!

Blog Entries
    My first reaction is that it doesn't, but I haven't read it recently. What do you think?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." Ė St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

No....it definitely does- I mean an obvious way that it does is physically. He turns into many things, (IE frog, dust, bird ect) but I'm unsure if this should be the focus of my paper. I'm wondering if there's something deeper than his physical transformations?

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Hum, tough question.
    Like Virgil it has been some time that I read the book as a whole, but I remember having read something about contemporaries of Milton reproaching him for focussing to much on Satan, making him thus more a hero than the fiend he should be.
    I also recall his bold speech to his fellow fallen demons at the beginning of the story, maybe that could be a starting point for your analysis of a change in his behaviour and character.
    In case you have the Oxford World Classics Edition of Paradise Lost you should check the introduction in there, I remember it provided a good insight into the development of the whole plot, maybe there's something about Satan in there, too.

Good luck with your assignment .
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

I was thinking of structuring my body PP's like this:

P1-Physical changes

P2-Emotional changes-
    -At first Satan is very rebellious and proud of himself. He is angry that God has condemned him to Hell. Rallies up the fallen angels to rebel against God and Heaven.
    -Then Satan questions his separation from Heaven and struggles to overcome his own doubts and weaknesses.
    -Finally comes to the conclusion that he will never be a part of Heaven & seeks to destroy Godís creation of man on earth. Satan wants to see Godís creation fall just as he did.

P3- Overall changes

but the third PP seems rather weak to me...any other ideas for it?

maybe the last PP should be how the combination of Satan's physical and emotional changes makes for an overall declining moral character ???

Hello? Anyone out thereeeee?!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USCEnglishUSC View Post
    I was thinking of structuring my body PP's like this:

P1-Physical changes

P2-Emotional changes-
    -At first Satan is very rebellious and proud of himself. He is angry that God has condemned him to Hell. Rallies up the fallen angels to rebel against God and Heaven.
    -Then Satan questions his separation from Heaven and struggles to overcome his own doubts and weaknesses.
    -Finally comes to the conclusion that he will never be a part of Heaven & seeks to destroy Godís creation of man on earth. Satan wants to see Godís creation fall just as he did.

P3- Overall changes
    Sounds reasonable if you can justify it. I think it's worth a try.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

what do you mean by "Justify it"? Do you mean like evidence....isn't the evidence under the "emotional changes" going in the right direction?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USCEnglishUSC View Post
    what do you mean by "Justify it"? Do you mean like evidence....isn't the evidence under the "emotional changes" going in the right direction?
    Yes, evidence. Yes I think if you present the emotional changes you will justify it. What grade are you? Have you written a college paper before?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

haha yes...i have definitely written a college paper before...i know my questions sound juvenile but I am just so fed up with my professor's grading that I need to make sure I am understanding you! haha.

Blog Entries
    Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Rather late perhaps for your paper, but the momentary change he undergoes when he first sees Eve is a marvelous moment in the poem

Please Help!

I also have to write a paper on Paradise Lost which I am having trouble with. I was wondering if anyone could help me by analyzing the relationship between satan and sin, adam and eve and the poet and his muse, urania...anything you could tell me would be wonderful! Thanks!!!: