Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Help

Blog Entries

Thanksgiving Help

I just found out I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner. I don't have to cook the whole meal but I do have to provide the drinks and have everyone over and clean this place up so I can have company...

I realize not everyone here is from America and not everyone here is going to have a Thanksgiving, but I have a quick question for people who eat food in general:

Can anyone recommend a good wine to serve with a traditional Thanksgiving meal (turkey, dressing, mashed taters, etc...)

Thanks a bunch.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    There used to be an old rule that you should serve white wine with fish and poultry and red wine with red meat, but I think that has gone by the wayside. I would personally suggest getting both red and white, because people have different preferences. I have such mundane tastes in wine and never go for anything very exotic...I usually get a bottle of white zinfandel on Thanksgiving.

This might be useful to check out...
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what date is Thanksgiving? I didn't realize it's that late in the year.
    *crazy Americans*

Good question, I'm having the same problem, plus we are now overseas and many of the wines available are unfamiliar to me. I was just going to buy whatever had a nice looking label tonight.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter." -Dr. Seuss
    chuckreads
    listal

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hum, don't get it at Aldi or Norma, though, Maude
    where in Germany are you stuck?
    If you want read wine, I can reccommend Chianti (sp?), but make sure it says "D.O.C" on the label. It's rather strong and ..er I don't know the word to use for wines in English.. it's not sweet.
    another nice red wine is Makedonikos, which is sweeter

I'm in Bayern, I'm out in the Grafenwoehr area, Weiden is the closest big shopping area to us.

I've really liked Chianti (I think that is right) when I've had it, so I'll look for that, thanks
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter." -Dr. Seuss
    chuckreads
    listal

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would get one white and one red for a Thanksgiving dinner. People will often have distinct preferences. I personally like reds best. I normally love Chianti, but because it has so much bite I don't know that I'd choose it for Thanksgiving. Probably for the red something like a Pinot Noir would probably work really well, but you can seldom go wrong using a Merlot as a table wine. I'd probably pick a Chardonnay for the white. Most people like it and I think the taste would pair well with the Turkey.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what date is Thanksgiving? I didn't realize it's that late in the year.
    *crazy Americans*
    Thanksgiving is tomorrow, Sleepy. It's always in November. The whole point is that it's supposed to be a big feast after the harvest and just before winter sets in in earnest.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't follow all the 'rules' for wines either but a dry Sauvignon Blanc (white) or Syrah (red) would be great with Turkey

And Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends here
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Blog Entries
    If I you're having turkey on Thanksgiving, I would serve a merlot or a pinot noir. On second thought, perhaps the best with turkey would be a cabernet franc (not cabernet sauvignon, although that wouldn't be a sin either). I'm sorry, but white wine to my taste buds doesn't go with turkey. But everyone is different.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrarch's Love View Post
    Thanksgiving is tomorrow, Sleepy. It's always in November. The whole point is that it's supposed to be a big feast after the harvest and just before winter sets in in earnest.
    Except for us Canadians, we have it in October and I think it's always the second week, with the Monday being a holiday and most business' taking Friday off making a nice 4-day weekend, good for last excursions to the cabin and what-not.
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TEND View Post
    Except for us Canadians, we have it in October and I think it's always the second week, with the Monday being a holiday and most business' taking Friday off making a nice 4-day weekend, good for last excursions to the cabin and what-not.
    Well harvest comes earlier in Canada. You have to beat the cold.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Well harvest comes earlier in Canada. You have to beat the cold.
    True enough. We're also sensible enough to put more than a month between the Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts .
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TEND View Post
    True enough. We're also sensible enough to put more than a month between the Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts .
    Out of curiosity, Tend, what was the temperature up your way today?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    We've been having unseasonable warmth lately, today we had a high of 12 degrees Celsius (50ish fahrenheit, I think) and it's supposed to go down to -12 tonight. There isn't even snow on the ground (it's came a few times than melted). I've only seen it like this once before, when the snow didn't stay till about 2nd week of December.
    -Walt Whitman
    -Jack Kerouac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast