Thread: What do you think of this book so far?

Smile What do you think of this book so far?

Seventh Grade Reader

This book is a book about a boy named David who is an orphan and is set out to go to his uncle. His uncle is mean and nasty and tells someone to kidnap David. From then on the story gets scary and worse. Im half way through the book and I have to tell you one thing and I mean it. Read Slowly

This book is quite hard to read because its older English. Right Now I like this book and I reccomend anyone to read it.

Jeff, in a far away place jlb4tlb's Avatar
    Just finished the book. I must say that I am disappointed in the second half after the wonderful first.
    Last edited by jlb4tlb; 10-21-2007 at 04:55 AM.

7th grade reader- good for you-- I discovered this book about your age-
    love them all--you keep reading

Blog Entries
    I have recently finnished it, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was even better then Treasure Island, it was quite an interesting story. I loved the way it started with a touch of mystery, and then the adventrue with Alan. So far it is my favorite thing by Stevenson.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I completely agree that it is better than treasure island. Because of this book (which was wonderful) I am going to try some of his other works some day. He wrote other novels and many short stories.

I am enjoying it. I always enjoyed the film with Michael Caine when it was on television. It has some nice writing, like this bit when David fell asleep when he should have been on sentry, allowing the redcoats to get close:

When I waked Alan, he glanced first at the soldiers, then at the mark and the position of the sun, and knitted his brows with a sudden, quick look, both ugly and anxious, which was all the reproach I had of him.

I like some of the Scottish figures of speech:

'Now,' said he, 'there is a little clachan' (what is called a hamlet in the English) 'not very far from Corrynakiegh, and it has the name of Koalisnacoan. There, there are living many friends of mine whom I could trust with my life, and some that I am not just so sure of. Ye see, David, there will be money set upon our heads; James himself is to set money on them; and as for the Campbells, they would never spare siller where there was a Stewart to be hurt. If it was otherwise, i would go down to Koalisnacoan whatever, and trust my life into these people's hands as lightly as I would trust another with my glove.'

'But being so?' said I.

I was amused by that laconic reply.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Kipnapped is the only novel I've not read but listened to as an audio book. I won't do it again: I prefer reading. Stevenson wrote a sequel called Catriona which is not meant to be anything like as good.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Kidnapped ended rather abruptly I thought. I suppose I would have to read Catriona to find out if Alan Brecht got away and if James survived his trial by the Campbells. I was rather surprised by that, having watched the Michael Caine film. I don't know if the film included some parts of Catriona, but it had a more dramatic ending than Kidnapped the book. David also picked up a Highland lassie in the film, which he doesn't in the book. I was rather hoping he'd go back for the innkeeper's daughter who helped them cross the river, but he didn't.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell