Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 58 of 349 FirstFirst ... 848535455565758596061626368108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures Taken By you...

Hi There,

Either you guys are great photographers or you are just darn lucky to be visiting very beautiful places.

Cactus

Blog Entries
    Blue Victim you pics of yosemine are awesome!

Lily: doncha wanna come to Ireland First?

Virgil the Peak District is in England. Its practically a national park its so beautiful. I think its located in and around Derbshire. I've never been.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluevictim View Post
    Idril, I love those hazy windmill pictures; they look so dreamy.

SleepyWitch, your pictures make me hungry for some kalua pork!

Niamh, that cathedral in Lincoln looks magnificent. The cars in the foreground make an interesting juxtaposition.

Virgil, great pictures of Santa Barbara. I love the California coast.

I thought I'd contribute some more pictures from Yosemite National Park:

Here's one of the very photogenic Cathedral Peak:

(I posted another shot of this peak before)

Here is a shot of Yosemite Valley from Half Dome at sunrise:

I hope you enjoy!
    Fabulous! Thanks.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Manny, those new photos are stunning! I love the tree one and that is a very nice photo of you. Did you wife take that one? Good job - I like the way you have captured that early morning California coastal fog. Those trees are amazing looking. I want to go back there and these photos make me long for it.

Wow,Bluevictim, I can't stand it - I want to go back to Yosemite so badly, too. These picture furture convince and are truly inviting. I adore that second shot...the shadow of Halfdome is unbelievable. Wow, you were there just the right moment of the day. That lake looks inviting, but it is probably quite cold. I love both - they could be picture postcards!

Hey, everyone ~ all of you could make up a nice calender with your great photos. You should consider doing it, no kidding. Some wonderful shots on this thread.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by bluevictim View Post
    Here's one of the very photogenic Cathedral Peak:

(I posted another shot of this peak before)

WOw!!!! America is so beautiful!

I have heard of Yosemite park i think. When i was doing my dissertation..does it have weird and extraordinary rock formations?
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful pics of Yosemite, Bluevictim. My family vacations there every year, so I thought I'd post a few more pictures of the place.

Since Manolia asked about rock formations, this is Yosemite's most famous formation, Half Dome:

Half Dome again around sunset:

This is North Dome and Washington's column at sunset. This gives you an idea of the immensity of the cliffs, since that green stuff at the top of the cliff are hundred foot high pines.

Some of the local wildlife:

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Great photos, Petrarch. Esp. the sunset ones.
    ...the smell of flowers through metal labyrinths.

Thanx Petrarch Yes i remember now..the Half Dome
    What an extraordinary place..
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Wearing a vegetable!! BulletproofDork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    *faints dead away* Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ethel Mertz: Gee, this high altitude sure gives me an appetite.
    Fred Mertz: What's your excuse at sea level?

Fred Mertz: Now what are we supposed to do? Thumb a ride on a passing halibut?
    Ricky Ricardo: I can't afford it.
    Lucy Ricardo: Those must have been the first English words you learned.

Blog Entries
    thats a really beautiful place!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Petrarch, I have been to Yosemite, too. One friend of mine told me years ago, before I went there, that he thought he was in 'heaven' when he was in Yosemite. I had to agree - the place is pure magic.
    I love these Half Dome shots you took. The one with the sun glowing on Half Dome is amazing and vibrant - you captured it right at the exact moment it hit the dome and made it glow - wow! These photo of yours and Bluevictim's are true gems. I like your other ones very much as well. Good job on all, P. Thanks for sharing with us.

Petrarch's Love, thanks for those great shots of Half Dome and Washington Column / North Dome! I think the first one really captures what it feels like to visit Yosemite Valley -- you're going about your business (like those rafters) surrounded by these enormous granite formations; you feel like a tiny speck.

Yosemite is definitely one of California's finest treasures. Hopefully it's interesting enough to warrant a few more pictures, which I can't resist posting (thanks to all of your compliments ).

Half Dome is probably the most recognizable peak in California. In fact, it's on California's quarter. Here's a picture of Half Dome from North Dome, with some nice looking clouds (thanks to Petrarch's Love, you know what North Dome looks like!):

Here's a view of Half Dome in the distance, taken from Mariuolumne Dome:

In case anyone is wondering, the height of the face of Half Dome (measured as in the figure below) is approximately 2000 ft (600 m).

Here's another shot of Yosemite Valley, with Higher, Middle, and Lower Cathedral Rocks clearly in view (they are the three big rocks just to the left of the middle of the picture). For scale, that bushy stuff on the bottom is a forest of trees like those in the first picture Petrarch's Love posted (which has a raft and a bridge for scale).

Approximately the same scene, in the winter:
    Optima dies ... prima fugit

Blog Entries
    Wow. Petrarch and Blue. Those are breath taking.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad you liked the pictures.

And thanks Bluevictim for posting some more. I've never seen Half Dome from North Dome. Were you rock climbing up there?

I love these Half Dome shots you took. The one with the sun glowing on Half Dome is amazing and vibrant - you captured it right at the exact moment it hit the dome and made it glow - wow!
    Half Dome faces west so you can watch the whole sunset take place by the change of light across its face. There are few things more beautiful. The shot I posted is part of a series of shots I took every ten minutes or so to try to capture the changing light on the rock. I did a similar thing at the Grand Canyon capturing the sunrise last year. A friend of mine thinks I've spent too much time looking at Monet's Rouen Cathedral series and it's addled my brain.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrarch's Love View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad you liked the pictures.
    You are welcome but really these photos are stunning!

And thanks Bluevictim for posting some more. I've never seen Half Dome from North Dome. Were you rock climbing up there?
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. So what is the deal, Blue?

Half Dome faces west so you can watch the whole sunset take place by the change of light across its face. There are few things more beautiful. The shot I posted is part of a series of shots I took every ten minutes or so to try to capture the changing light on the rock. I did a similar thing at the Grand Canyon capturing the sunrise last year. A friend of mine thinks I've spent too much time looking at Monet's Rouen Cathedral series and it's addled my brain.
    Well, all I can say is if it addled your brain, Petrarch, then I am glad for it since it obviously made you a superb photographer!

I am breathless looking at both your and Bluevictims outstanding photos. It make me want to go pack my bags and be on the first plane there. Keep them coming. Wonderful!