Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 187 of 349 FirstFirst ... 87137177182183184185186187188189190191192197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 5223

Thread: Pictures Taken By you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    I agree; that is unusual. Any clue as to what it is?
    Nothing more than a guess. That area of the yard is kind of wild so it's a naturally occurring plant, a weed if you will, nothing that was planted. I think it has a distinctive thistle look, not exactly like the thistles I am familiar with but close. The flower is similar but I've never seen them grow in a bush like that, the ones I've seen have stalk-like stems.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

It's a weed called Common Burdock or Burweed, I asked my mom.
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Astounding efforts everyone *Clap! Clap! Clap!*

Yes you may qimi and Kitty

These are some red apples under blue light - very difficult to capture the redness, like cocacola red (the actual liquid) under the sun.

And this is a shot over the roofs

Blog Entries
    SnowQueen,sorry for not answering sooner,got held up so i couldn't come to the net for a few days.The answer to your q would be no the last pic is not a shrine,it's actually a local bath (think that's how the translation goes) it was build i think over 600 years ago(if i'm correct) it's called Hammam-Vakil and i found this site if you wan't to learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiraz#Main_sights,i have more photos of that place if you're interested.And yes Shiraz is a beautifull place to visit especially in the late september.and by the way the city is very famous for it's wines
    Her heart is played like well worn strings; in her eyes the sadness sings; of one who was destined for better things.

I'm in Minneapolis, and I thought I would share some pictures of my stay in this lovely city.

This is the panther located in the hotel lobby. He is our protector.

Here in the Sculpture Garden right by downtown there is, inexplicably, a giant spoon with a cherry perched on top.

Last night, we saw the rockin' Canadian band Mother Mother at the Fine Line Café. They put on an incredible show.

And last but not least, here is an image of the ghostly, disembodied forms of me and my girlfriend. Her name is Idril.

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

And I'll add a few of my own.

Sunflowers by the side of road on the way to the Sculpture Garden.

My personal favorite sculpture, I think I've posted a picture of this before but it's so awesome it bears a second posting.

And Basil's picture taken by the 6 year old son of my friend at the Walker Art Museum.

As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Blog Entries
    yay Idril and Basil! great pictures! you guys are almost, but not quite, as darling as my dog Bula:
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Quote Originally Posted by farnoosh View Post
    SnowQueen,sorry for not answering sooner,got held up so i couldn't come to the net for a few days.The answer to your q would be no the last pic is not a shrine,it's actually a local bath (think that's how the translation goes) it was build i think over 600 years ago(if i'm correct) it's called Hammam-Vakil and i found this site if you wan't to learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiraz#Main_sights,i have more photos of that place if you're interested.And yes Shiraz is a beautifull place to visit especially in the late september.and by the way the city is very famous for it's wines
    Thanks farnoosh! These are interesting detalis. My sister visited Isfahan once and she had a very good time there, she often says Isfahan nisf Jahan. I hope I have spelled it right.

Yes great pictures Basil and Idril, and Bula is very cute indeed.

Blog Entries
    Riesa ~ what an adorable puppy!
    Idril ~ luv the sunflowers! They are so cheerful.

This is a lily that has a stalk that shoots up within about 3/4 days and then each stalk has between 4 to 6 flowers. It is called the Surprise Lily, Magic Lily or Naked Lady and belongs to the amaryllis family. the foliage comes up in later winter without any flowers then dies away with the beginning of Spring. Come August they are a welcomed site! BTW they are native to southern Japan.

Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

Blog Entries
    this is my favorite picture...well at least right now....

Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.

Blog Entries
    Isfahan is where I live,SnowQueen!!! yeah,your sister is right it is a great city.You spelled it right of course,but do you know what it means? They say Isfahan nisfe jahan=Isfahan is half of the world. They say it because it has so many beautifull places and so much art that they it's equal to the beauty of half the world!
    Her heart is played like well worn strings; in her eyes the sadness sings; of one who was destined for better things.

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Sunset seen from Oia, Santorini.

A truly inspirational place in every way, Santorini is the southernmost island of the Cyclades. It's a mere 6-hour ferry ride from Piraeus, so I can't but chastise myself that I've lived most of my life in Athens and never visited before. Regardless, I was there last week and felt deeply touched by the landscape (the island is what remains of a volcanic eruption that may have wiped out the entire Minoan civilization), the architecture and the history of the place.

The pictured village of Oia has a permanent population of only 800, but I counted about 25 art galleries, the vast majority of them run by local painters and sculptors. When I first did the math it seemed absurd that this tiny earthquake offspring should produce so much art. But then I looked at this view again and thought to myself, how could anybody not be inspired here?

There is peace. It is an almost holy peace, respected by locals and visitors alike. The only loud sounds you hear are the laughter of excited children and church bells (with an active volcano a mile away, you have to be religious). The sand on the beaches is black, making your feet look as though you're wearing military boots, and if you want to swim in the splendidly crystaline sea, you will have to walk on sharp rocks first. But feet and everything else seem to hurt less on Santorini. Every time you open the eyes of your mind, life and love and time and everything are seen from a different perspective, one the wise visitor will take appropriate measures so that it is remembered for a long time.

Food: fresh fish and local vegetables. The volcanic activity has made the small expanses of arable land quite kinky -- seedless cherry tomatoes that taste as if you've covered them with sugar, intensely spicy chives the size of a walnut, fava legumes which become outrageously creamy when boiled and mashed.

Only a few decades ago moving about in Santorini meant you had to ride a donkey, so they've chosen it as its trademark souvenir stuffed toy. In true artist fashion, Santorinians don't take themselves too seriously.

Go there with a loved one. Make it a present.

Best,
    DH

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries
    Doc Heart ~ the photo captures all you described...and you described it very well, enuf to make me start to pack my bags and book a holiday.

kittypaws

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Doc Heart works for the Santorini Chamber of Commerce. ha
    Very nice photo and write up!

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kittypaws View Post
    this is my favorite picture...well at least right now....

Wow, almost let that one slip by me.
    Tell us about the cat and the flowers of course.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10