Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 185 of 316 FirstFirst ... 85135175180181182183184185186187188189190195235285 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 4739

Thread: Pictures Taken By you...

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks YesNo - I love colour! I find that if the lake's too brown, or the trees and sky are too grey, I'll just avoid taking the shot (missed a lot of otherwise good photos as a consequence though...)

Thankyou Kitty - yeah, some mornings you get lucky, and sometimes you just have to climb a tree or work your way through barbed wire with bulletholes in a No Trespassing sign - but only if it's worth the risk.

There's quite a few interesting insects around here that aren't butterflies actually. Stay tuned!

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MystyrMystyry View Post
    Bird
    Got this specimen on the windowsill
    Very nice. Brilliant color. It appears you were able to get fairly close to the bird without spooking it.

Continuing the critter theme. (Come to think of it, I think I posted these in the past)
    Oh well...

Monarch Butterfly taken while working in Illinois. I was hoping to get a shot with the wings open, but it wouldn't oblige me. The flower is a "Swamp Milkweed"

Garden spider at our home:

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Blog Entries
    Monarchs Gilliatt - they're everywhere except in my lens! That's what I've been hoping for: to capture one on green background (I suppose I could always fire up my Dreamworks again ). Is that macro or tele?

Great bokeh! I'll guess it's your 1.8 50 mm pancake what did that - close?

Both shots were taken with the new auto lens I purchased with the K-7 body. The lens is Pentax-DA*, 1:2.8, 16-50mm zoom.

This morning I discovered another critter known as a Click Beetle. The name is derived from the clicking sound they make when they snap their head when disturbed or if they happen to find themselves on their back. The force of the snap is such that it can launch the beetle upwards roughly 8 to 10 cm.
    Lens: Circa 1970's Albinar 1:2.8 Macro 28mm

On my copy of Peterson Field Guide to Insects:

Close up of head. Note the deceptive false eyes.

BTW, what you don't see are the mandibles capable of inflicting severe pain.
    I brushed a small stick against the mandibles and it instantly latched on, holding it under its own strength.

Imagine what Ray Harryhausen could have done with one of these!

Blog Entries
    I wish i had your camera Gill! They are amazing shots!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hey hey, long time no speak. Nice to see you back.
    Thanks for taking a look and please come back with some photos.

Blog Entries
    Following the trail of insects...this is not the best picture, but I did take it! And you have to admit it is one in a million shots!

kittypaws
    Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Hey hey, long time no speak. Nice to see you back.
    Thanks for taking a look and please come back with some photos.

The real world did a serious catch up with me. Dont like being caught up by reality! lol! But i'm back... hopefully.
    I will see what I can rustle up! Was in Piza there recently, but my photos were taken in my Blackberry...
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by kittypaws View Post
    Following the trail of insects...this is not the best picture, but I did take it! And you have to admit it is one in a million shots!...
    Ha yes, sometimes nature doesn't give us much time.
    I'm also interested in the cone they are perched on. I'm assuming that is some type of conifer tree or perhaps a thistle?

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Trying to post a photo, and having trouble.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    OK, silly question how to I cut and paste or import the photo onto here?

Blog Entries
    Mr. Gilliatt ~ I think you might call it a thistle...it is a perennial plant know as an Echinacea. I grow the pink Cone Flower nestled along with Black-Eyed Susan’s in my wildflower beds. If I do not dead head them for seeds the stems will remain erect well into the winter and then the goldfinches will feed on the seeds. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that! But here is one from my garden a few days ago.

Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
    Ancient Egyptian Inner Temples

Blog Entries
    Close crop on that beast's head Gilliat

Interesting selection Kitty - the grasshoppers especially

My insects have unfortunately appeared to have abandon me so here's a picture of 60 lumens floating on my pond at night (why 60? because I bought two packets)

And here's a pirate's treasure chest I found in a cave

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    It's not a silly question, because everybody has to find out how to do it.

You cannot cut and paste photos directly but have to use an intermediary called a media hosting company to do it for you. I use Imageshack and the first thing is to google them and go through the boring signing in process. That done, you can call them up and click on Media Upload. This puts up a page with a 'Browse' tag or button. When you click on Browse, it will take you to the file (s) where you have uploaded your photos (usually PICTURES). Click on the one you want to post and click on the box marked Open. This takes you back to the page with the Browse button already mentioned where you will now see the name of your picture listed under the box marked File name. Click on the Blue Box marked Upload now and your picture will upload to the top left hand corner of the page.
    Now move across the page and click on to My Images ( you might be asked to confirm your Email address and password) then you will see the image in thumbnail size with a series of buttons running down the right hand side of the image. Click on the top button marked 'i' and a display box will show the image. Go to the Right hand side of this box where you will see at the top two options. An [IMG] and a [URL] option. At this point, you can copy and paste the picture to the LitNet page where you want it to be shown by copying the [IMG] option. All of your pictures will be stored in My Images on Imageshack.

A word of advice: when copying the [IMG] option it is better to do so from the bottom up, otherwise you will have difficulty avoiding the [URL] option immediately below.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 07-15-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Well...?
    Have you had a chance to apply Emil's suggested method?
    Look forward to seeing your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by kittypaws View Post
    ...I grow the pink Cone Flower nestled along with Black-Eyed Susan’s in my wildflower beds. If I do not dead head them for seeds the stems will remain erect well into the winter and then the goldfinches will feed on the seeds. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that! But here is one from my garden a few days ago...
    Impressive. I'm envious of of your wildflower garden the interest in attracting birds such as Goldfinches. Do you see other variaties of birds? I would imagine that Chicadees and Purple/ Red finches would be interetsed as well.
    I recognize that flower. I've known it as a Purple Cone flower. We passed by a large meadow of Cone flowers blooming during a hike several years ago at the LBJ National Grasslands.

My insects have unfortunately appeared to have abandon me so here's a picture of 60 lumens floating on my pond at night (why 60? because I bought two packets)

And here's a pirate's treasure chest I found in a cave
    Quite creative. How about some details behind the shots?