Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Is English A Difficult Language?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalisyah View Post
    Unfortunately, this still happens. Not all people from developed countries can converse well in English. They may gain easy access to modern technology and live in such hi-tech world, but without the heart to learn; english isn't something that is easy to learn.
    I never know this thing happens.
    In the last line you stated the reason. We also, despite the problem I had mentioned earlier, learn English. For example I myself. I really learn English under a very uncondusive atmosphere. Read my post under this one. I'll stated some of these problems we're being facing here in my country relating to learning it.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Poblems of learning English in my country and liekly others;
    Inconsitency between English spellings and their pronounciation. eg H in 'ghost','honest' etc. K in 'knowledge','knight' etc.
    Mother Tongue Interference
    Attitudinal Problem
    Problem of Quack Teachers
    Pedagogical Problem
    Material Problem
    etc
    If you look at any from the above, you'll see that it really is a great problem in English teaching-learning process.
    How is it in your country? Are they same problems or there are some others?
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Quote Originally Posted by muhsin View Post
    I never know this thing happens.
    In the last line you stated the reason. We also, despite the problem I had mentioned earlier, learn English. For example I myself. I really learn English under a very uncondusive atmosphere. Read my post under this one. I'll stated some of these problems we're being facing here in my country relating to learning it.
    When you have the will, you'll learn to appreciate knowledge more. In this case, you're willing to undergo such circumstances.
    Currently reading: Castle of Otranto (Horace Walpole), Agnes Grey (Anne Bronte), Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (Lord George Gordon Byron)

Inconsitency between English spellings and their pronounciation. eg H in 'ghost','honest' etc. K in 'knowledge','knight' etc.
    Attitudinal Problem
    Pedagogical Problem
    Material Problem
    etc
    If you look at any from the above, you'll see that it really is a great problem in English teaching-learning process.
    Same here. Except for the quack teachers and material problem; in remote parts of the country. We have Multimedia Super Corridor(MSC) project launched a few years back in the country. We have "Sekolah Bestari" (smart school), schools are equipped with online learning/conferencing, et cetera. But, like I said before; if you don't have the will to learn, you'll go nowhere. The students in 9th and 10th grade in our country learn science and mathematics subjects in english. Yet, some still have the difficulties catching up in studies.
    Last edited by Chrysalisyah; 10-24-2006 at 12:24 PM.
    Currently reading: Castle of Otranto (Horace Walpole), Agnes Grey (Anne Bronte), Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (Lord George Gordon Byron)

Smile

English is not a difficult language when compared to so many other languages of the world. Since it is unphonetic it appears difficult at times for learners learning it as a second language or foreign language. Now just look at all of us on this forum , we are communicating because of English (just as much as the internet)
    English is the Lingua Franca of the world ( & Lingua Franca is a french borrowing) Today English has more speakers the worldover when compared to the native country. Nuguib Mahafouz who won the Nobel Prize for literature recently is an Arab(originally from Egypt) , & the first one to win this honour in the middle east.
    Public speaking does need good language, be it English or any other. But it is important to remember " Language is the dress of thought - Dr.Samuel Johnson" . We need to have good thoughts ,then automatically our expression is going to be good.
    English being unphonetic it becomes important to have a pronuncing dictionary for learners. George bernard Shaw said "English is the only language where you pronunce 'phet' as 'fish' , use the 'ph' in 'ephermal', 'e' in 'women' and 't' in 'caution' !
    Whatever it is, it is English that has brought us together here, English speakers outnumber the Englishmen & today some of the most beautiful pieces of writing are coming out of the pens from Africa & South-Asia. the Chinese are on the spree learning English before they host the Olympics 2008.
    The Man Booker Prize of the year was bagged by a young Indian writer Kiran Desai for her novel 'The Inheretence of Loss'. undoubtdly English is here to stay & will some day become the mother tongue of the world.
    God is supreme absolute truth

Hey Muhsin does not seem to have any great English Language problem - Muhsin 's language is passingly excellent if not arrestingly beautiful. Just forget all quack teachers & rely on guided self study when it comes to language. Always remember that a non-native speaker of English is far ahead of the native speaker - afterall it's his/her second language & yet he can perform as well as a native speaker ( some non-native speakers can be better than native speakers). So go ahead and better you English. It is not difficult, only thinking makes it so. Am I right Muhsin?
    God is supreme absolute truth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geetanjali View Post
    Hey Muhsin does not seem to have any great English Language problem - Muhsin 's language is passingly excellent if not arrestingly beautiful. Just forget all quack teachers & rely on guided self study when it comes to language. Always remember that a non-native speaker of English is far ahead of the native speaker - afterall it's his/her second language & yet he can perform as well as a native speaker ( some non-native speakers can be better than native speakers). So go ahead and better you English. It is not difficult, only thinking makes it so. Am I right Muhsin?
    What an eneffable?
    I had never seen a post-a funniest one like this very one, 'cuz I had never been praised like this time. However thanks for that.
    Once again. I'm "he" not "she" as you doubted in your post.
    Also, the language isn't difficult. But whoever took it so, must definitely find the way he takes it.
    Thnaks for your encouragement.
    Last edited by muhsin; 10-25-2006 at 06:48 AM.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalisyah View Post
    Same here. Except for the quack teachers and material problem; in remote parts of the country. We have Multimedia Super Corridor(MSC) project launched a few years back in the country. We have "Sekolah Bestari" (smart school), schools are equipped with online learning/conferencing, et cetera. But, like I said before; if you don't have the will to learn, you'll go nowhere. The students in 9th and 10th grade in our country learn science and mathematics subjects in english. Yet, some still have the difficulties catching up in studies.
    How sure you are that you don't got quack teachers problems. Is it not in only your school (maybe of boys who were born with a silver spoon?) Don't you think that? But, it seems this problem is every where?
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Attitudinal Problem
    Pedagogical Problem
    Material Problem
    etc
    Almost exactly same here in my country. How do you think these problems can be solved? Government? Students? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by geetanjali View Post
    English is not a difficult language when compared to so many other languages of the world. Since it is unphonetic it appears difficult at times for learners learning it as a second language or foreign language. Now just look at all of us on this forum , we are communicating because of English (just as much as the internet)
    English is the Lingua Franca of the world ( & Lingua Franca is a french borrowing) Today English has more speakers the worldover when compared to the native country. Nuguib Mahafouz who won the Nobel Prize for literature recently is an Arab(originally from Egypt) , & the first one to win this honour in the middle east.
    Public speaking does need good language, be it English or any other. But it is important to remember " Language is the dress of thought - Dr.Samuel Johnson" . We need to have good thoughts ,then automatically our expression is going to be good.
    English being unphonetic it becomes important to have a pronuncing dictionary for learners. George bernard Shaw said "English is the only language where you pronunce 'phet' as 'fish' , use the 'ph' in 'ephermal', 'e' in 'women' and 't' in 'caution' !
    Whatever it is, it is English that has brought us together here, English speakers outnumber the Englishmen & today some of the most beautiful pieces of writing are coming out of the pens from Africa & South-Asia. the Chinese are on the spree learning English before they host the Olympics 2008.
    The Man Booker Prize of the year was bagged by a young Indian writer Kiran Desai for her novel 'The Inheretence of Loss'. undoubtdly English is here to stay & will some day become the mother tongue of the world.
    Oh my dear, forget 'bout so-called comparism here. Is it difficult on its own or not...I think that 's the point.
    The answer is always under our nose but we human always stay going wild ; As I cunningly gather from your post; English is quiet difficult even to you but not as difficult as you faced when learning other languages. Is that right?..lol

Yes they find it so 'cuz they don't wanna learn! As far as you wanna learn, reading is an essential thing for you to do. Thus, Goodfella, what you was saying is sincerely, frankly baseless. Think another reason.

Oh, are you likes? Probably. So, better desist and imbibe good culture.
    Who knows?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Who knows?
    Don't you know? Do you really mean that? Or you're just kidding...so you must be dear.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    Almost exactly same here in my country. How do you think these problems can be solved? Government? Students? Or both?
    Both. But its more on us-student. Right?
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Well, the question does depend on some things.
    First, for example, how related your mother tongue is to english or , how many linguistically similar constructions are there? English is simpler to learn for speakers of Indo-European languages, esp. germanic languages.(or those languages that have been greatly influenced by indoeuropean languages/germanic lanugages/english) Similar words and grammatical constructions. Similar language logic. When the tongue is based on a grammar system that is completely different from your own, it is harder to learn.
    Trying to look at things from the universal perspective, there are things in each language that make the learning of it difficult. For example, the mutations in celtic tongues, articles in german, large number of cases in finno-ugric languages besides other things. Things that make a language difficult to learn are exceptions, things you simply have to memorize. The kinds of things that people who made up artificial languages tried to avoid to make learning them be simpler.
    But such things in english - we have learned english for too long a time to see any of those difficult things in it. Perhaps the tenses and the usage of them? But is that difficult?
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

English is hard as other foreign languages, English is easy as other foreign languages.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast