Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Is English A Difficult Language?

Blog Entries
    A link to the topic muhsin mentions "Is English your first language?"
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=14464

I agree that the best way to learn any language, in this case English, is to be fully immersed (if possible) with other people who speak it while studying the alphabet and spelling and grammar. Television and movies can be a good substitute too!

MSN Encarta dictionary
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/english.html

has a handy audio option so you can hear how individual words are pronounced, you just click the green speaker icon
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny explorer View Post
    *English is an internatonal language...meaning it has been the language which people are capable of learning easily.of course there aint a person who can grip the whole foundaton of it...somehow it's a good medium for every race..well does it make any sense?
    That enable us to communicate. OK?
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

English is not hard to learn, especially because of TV, internet and all those modern things. With that and some obligate school classes, it's actually easy...
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

I think English is one of, if not the easiest language to learn. As bazarov said, due to the large availability of English language media, you can easily improve your listening and reading abilities and given the fact that it is an international language, you will always be able to find someone through whom you can improve your speaking skills.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    A link to the topic muhsin mentions "Is English your first language?"
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=14464

I agree that the best way to learn any language, in this case English, is to be fully immersed (if possible) with other people who speak it while studying the alphabet and spelling and grammar. Television and movies can be a good substitute too!

MSN Encarta dictionary
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/english.html

has a handy audio option so you can hear how individual words are pronounced, you just click the green speaker icon
    Thanks for the links.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    English is not hard to learn, especially because of TV, internet and all those modern things. With that and some obligate school classes, it's actually easy...
    Unfortunetely, some people don't have easy access to all these modern things. eg. here in my country, we're paying money of large amount to browse. Thus, there are plenty people who do also want see themselves browsing but do to "world enemy" they cannot afford to do that.
    I think you are from a developed country, arent you? Okay, you can....
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muhsin View Post
    I, days ago, read a thread written by our “omniscient-like” Logos, titled…… where follows that thread were bundle of replies. There then, I learnt that we, who English isn’t our MT or L1 are the majority members of this Site.
    Eventually, notwithstanding the fact that we almost all have been studying this language for years, one can easily detect this or that isn’t an English native speaker. What’s the truth behind this? Is the language that is difficult or what? What actually made it difficult or simple to you?

NB: I, in particular, know that lots of time, my English is terrible. The great problem I’m being facing is that of writing good, plain…grammar and speaking in public. So, to me, English is simple but very vast in content as its difficult to cover everything.
    Hey there Muhsin,
    I'm not an English native speaker, obviously..lol
    I don't claim that I'm good in English..I try to do my best...cuz it's not exaclty the easiest language ever...
    I think that if you excelled in a language, one can't exaclty tell if you're not a native speaker of it..at least not in the way you write it...
    Cuz simply some native speakers of English make spelling mistakes, same as anyone else...it's all about your ability to understand and memorize certain things...doesn't have to do with where you're from....
    I think on the board here, and as you mentioned, most of us are not native English speakers...but honestly, I couldn't tell who's a native speaker and who's not...
    And as mentioned before...you can learn English by many means...
    The most simple one is by "reading"...anyone can have access to reading, if you can't have access to the net or tv or any of this...
    English isn't the easiest language ever as I said, but that doesn't mean that it's hard too...it's just like anything else...it's hard when you decide it's hard...it's all about the human mind!
    Last edited by Nossa; 10-21-2006 at 05:27 AM.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    The most simple one is by "reading"...anyone can have access to reading, if you can't have access to the net or tv or any of this...
    Yes, the simplest and least expensive way to learn English is by reading. Reading expands the vocabulary and understanding. You can tell who reads a lot and who doesn't by listening to them, paying attention to the size of vocablary.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eufrosyne View Post
    English isn't a difficult language to learn, and that's for one reason. That is that about 70% (OK, that's only a guess!) of the tv I, at least, watch is in English. I live in Sweden, and actually all of the tv-series I can recall watching are in English.
    I have to agree. It is a fact that we are inundated by the English language here in Sweden. Even before the days of satelite or cable tv, we kept the original language of almost everything that was broadcast here... We just added subtitles.

Another thing is that you can find remains of Scandinavian languages in Britan in general and in Scotland in particular. We'll have to blaim the vikings for that, I guess.

Speaking for myself, I have to say that English came easily to me. I couldn't pass for a native speaker, of course, but that hardly matters, does it?

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Yes, the simplest and least expensive way to learn English is by reading. Reading expands the vocabulary and understanding. You can tell who reads a lot and who doesn't by listening to them, paying attention to the size of vocablary.
    I totally agree on this...
    Reading can make you perfect in English...then you don't have to be a native english speaker OR to be even living in any of native speaking countries..
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nossa
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterL

I totally agree on this...
    Reading can make you perfect in English...then you don't have to be a native english speaker OR to be even living in any of native speaking countries..
    All right, all this makes sense; however, does reading really make you PERFECT in English? I don't think so. It actually offers great improvement in learning a language but it does not help much with learning how to speak the language. I mean a person can have a big amount of vocab., grammar usage but then when he is put in a situation where he has to communicate, he might be unable to do so. So practice the language in real situation is also vital. Thus, there are many suggested methods as to which way is the best to teach a target language ,such as: grammar translation methods(concentrates on learning Grammar ), communication method(on semi real input situations for a learner)…..and many other.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    But, lots of people find it boring to read intensively.......So what about listening? Doesn't that also means something for learning English as it helps one to improve his pronounciation? What do you think about that?PeterL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Hey there Muhsin,
    I'm not an English native speaker, obviously..lol
    I don't claim that I'm good in English..I try to do my best...cuz it's not exaclty the easiest language ever...
    I think that if you excelled in a language, one can't exaclty tell if you're not a native speaker of it..at least not in the way you write it...
    Cuz simply some native speakers of English make spelling mistakes, same as anyone else...it's all about your ability to understand and memorize certain things...doesn't have to do with where you're from....
    I think on the board here, and as you mentioned, most of us are not native English speakers...but honestly, I couldn't tell who's a native speaker and who's not...
    English isn't the easiest language ever as I said, but that doesn't mean that it's hard too...it's just like anything else...it's hard when you decide it's hard...it's all about the human mind!
    Nossa is right; English isn't difficult but hard to learn; like anything....Lol
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
    But, lots of people find it boring to read intensively.......So what about listening? Doesn't that also means something for learning English as it helps one to improve his pronounciation? What do you think about that?PeterL
    Yes they find it so 'cuz they don't wanna learn! As far as you wanna learn, reading is an essential thing for you to do. Thus, Goodfella, what you was saying is sincerely, frankly baseless. Think another reason.

Oh, are you likes? Probably. So, better desist and imbibe good culture.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Quote Originally Posted by muhsin View Post
    Unfortunetely, some people don't have easy access to all these modern things. eg. here in my country, we're paying money of large amount to browse. Thus, there are plenty people who do also want see themselves browsing but do to "world enemy" they cannot afford to do that.
    I think you are from a developed country, arent you? Okay, you can....
    Unfortunately, this still happens. Not all people from developed countries can converse well in English. They may gain easy access to modern technology and live in such hi-tech world, but without the heart to learn; english isn't something that is easy to learn.
    Currently reading: Castle of Otranto (Horace Walpole), Agnes Grey (Anne Bronte), Childe Harold's Pilgrimage (Lord George Gordon Byron)

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast