Thread: My review.

My review.

Reminds me of Austin's Pride and Prejudice in more ways than one; the sisters (Gudren and Ursula) each falling for their Mr MC Dreamies who happen to be good friends with eachother. What a quartet! Lawrence nevertheless treats his readers to expansive metaphors, images and he manages to finish with similar ideas to Austin's, without that false sense of wedded happiness.

I found the first part of this novel to be brilliant but nearing the end at the mountains, I was just dying for the book to finish already. The end is definatly well work hanging out for though.

*** <three stars!

JONO

I don't agree with you at all, the book is nothing like any of Austin's works, Women in Love is very intimate, complex, and interesting, it's a small version of the relationships failure and success, things just don't flow easily in this book, and one needs to read it again and again, coz it just never ends, it's the best book after War & Peace...

doesn't remind me of austen, but it's nice that she was mentioned a couple of times in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by polar_boi View Post
    Reminds me of Austin's Pride and Prejudice in more ways than one; the sisters (Gudren and Ursula) each falling for their Mr MC Dreamies who happen to be good friends with eachother.
    But did Darcy and Bingley wrestle naked?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    As Marie BSB noted, its a book you do not read just once. Apparently Lawrence regarded it as his best piece, and I would tend to agree. The way he expresses the inter-relationships and emotions between apparently totally different characters, is in a class of its own.
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    As Marie BSB noted, its a book you do not read just once. Apparently Lawrence regarded it as his best piece, and I would tend to agree. The way he expresses the inter-relationships and emotions between apparently totally different characters, is in a class of its own.
    M.
    I disagree that it was his best piece. Maybe it was the piece he was most attached to (needless to say, it's the most openly homoerotic of his works) but I think that Sons and Lovers is more restrained and more powerful.