Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the importance of being earnest

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar

Question the importance of being earnest

okay folks
    here is another opportunity to show off your intellectual prowess....
    I am looking for some kind of original insight into Oliver Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest".
    I am writing an essay for a first year Lit. class, but what is being discussed in class is terribly unoriginal, and I seem to be sort of at a dead end, myself. However, I absolutely refuse to turn in a boring, tedious essay, so i implore you....help me!
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Why not utilize your own originality on this essay? I mean after all, that’s the idea of the class. You’ve indicated what’s being discussed in class is “terribly unoriginal.” How did you come to that conclusion? What are you comparing your classmates’ ideas to?

I could understand if you threw your ideas out first, and then asked for additional input, but you're just asking for a smorgasbord of selections to choose from.
    Last edited by hal9000; 03-03-2004 at 12:18 PM.

I recently read the play. I think Oscar Wilde is passionate and brilliant. The Picture of Dorian Gray stands out more in my mind though. I didn't have an opportunity to go to college or university so I'm not experienced in essay writing, however, if you ask some specific questions, maybe I can at least offer you some opinions.

Originally posted by Lara
    "...maybe I can at least offer you some opinions.
    That's very generous of you Lara, but it's her opinions I think the instructor is interested in. :-)

thank you both for your opinions and replies.

i am looking to develop an essay about a less than obvious theme.
    the discussion in class seems to be based around the theme of style versus substance which seems to be one of the most obvious of themes in the play.

Of course, the satirical comment on the Victorian values of breeding and seriousness is clear, combined with the idea of the necessity of being hypocritical and misrepresented in order to survive and enjoy oneself within the contemporary social rules.
    i was sort of just wondering if anyone else recognized anything outside of these.

like i said, i am sort of at a loss, perhaps suffering from burnout...normally my essays are terribly original and thought provoking, if i do say so myself.

I do not want someone to write my essay for me, I was just hoping to get a little help on the brainstorming. I am certain that is not outside of the requirements that my instructor expects me to follow...
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Hal, a person of wisdom and knowledge. I hadn't read your post until I posted mine. After I did read your post I reconsidered what I said and I believe you are correct.

oh, and i came to hold the opinion that we were discussing in class is unoriginal simply because what the themes are so obvious. That and if one is to read reviews of the play, those above mentioned concepts are widely discussed.

I strive for originality and i seem to be failing right now...the only thing i can come up with is perhaps a discussion on mendacity (not original) or perhaps an exploration on the subplot of the misplaced child (difficult to develop)... arghhhhhhh

Originally posted by verybaddmom

I strive for originality and i seem to be failing right now...the only thing i can come up with is perhaps a discussion on mendacity...."
    LOL! Indeed.

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    What about taking two key speaches from different characters and juxtaposing them to point out either similarities or differences? Not a terribly original idea when it comes to play analysis, but if everyone else is bothering themselves with the themes why not give that a go?
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Or find a good quote ABOUT the play from a secondary source and react to it. Tell why you agree or disagree with it, giving textual support.

Or talk about how Wilde is a terrible playwrite (even if you don't agree with this) because he doesn't have honest developed characters. His characters (in Dorian Grey as well) are nothing but vehicles for his witty use of the English languege. He doesn't develope any depth to them.

Try writing in support of an idea that you don't actually subscribe to. It will give you a nice rounded view of the work you are studying rather than just enforcing what you have already decided.

Or give a reader-response analysis and tell why this play effected you personally (some teachers don't like that at all), still giving support from secondary sources. Tell how a particular theme (even an unoriginal one) applies to your life.

If you have time, read another one of his plays and compare and contrast main themes, characters, plot, languege, ect... you'll find that most author's works have striking similarities when juxtaposed (I like that word waaaaaayyyy too much ).

Do you want me to go on, cause if you do, I'm going to have to think for a minute and get back to you.

Hal, when people ask for help without asking you to write thier essay for them, this is the kind of info their looking for. I hoped I help you somewhat BadMom.

Thank you KiKU, that is exacltly what i was looking for. i especially like the idea about writing "in support of an idea that you don't actually subscribe to." thank you so much for your suggestions.

I would like to add, here, to further explain my motives regarding this thread:
    If nothing else, a discussion regarding the play itself would have been appreciated, as i find it immensly helpful to hear other peoples opinions and ideas.
    i think what i was hoping for was a discussion similar to that in a classroom situation, people presenting insight and debating ideas....
    unfortunately, in the class i am taking, the students do very little to contribute to discussion or debate and if there is a discussion of any kind it is usually centralized between my instructor and myself. i find the other students mostly apathetic; perhaps many of them are taking it only for credit, not a love of the subject, as i am.
    i have noticed on this forum a group of people with an intense interest in, and love for, literature of all forms. i admire that. and frankly, it excites me to see people who have the same interests that i do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast