Thread: The great gatsby analysis

Cool The great gatsby analysis

In Great Gatsby novel of F. Scott Fitzgerald the character is created from the lower-income class citizen and with a dream to become rich and powerful after he has met Daisy and he has a reason to fulfil his dream and earn money, fame, wealth and power. The background of Gatsby remains bleak as no one knows what exactly happened in the past. Some rumours from Jordan state that he killed a man back in those days and he did inherit some kind of property but the real truth is that he made and gained everything by his own. Even in the novel lies come back and forth what makes Gatsby great is that he has gained and made what he has ever dreamed of. He was a normal poor citizen in the past living in a farm and belonging to a lower class by the name of James Gatz. He left everything behind to fit the upper-class and become another person. His father didn’t even know how far Gatsby would go and how fast he could reach the levels of being such a great person. The only thing that comes out from the novel is that Gatsby never did the right thing to gain what he got, but he had a good heart with everyone on what he was doing.
    During the novel we see Cody, who was the one that accepted Gatsby for his ambitions and dreams and had him as his son. When he first left the farm at the age of seventeen Cody was the one person and only that gave him what his dream of the world was by. Finally, he inherited Cody and that is one of the prominent reasons that he became rich. Having met Daisy, his human side appears in the novel and he comes to reach the lowest layer of his destruction and greatness as he leaves everything behind to show his love to Daisy. Although, the paradox remains the same he always stays loyal and faith to her until the end of his death, but this foolishness are the two reasons that made him lose his greatness. Gatsby’s life is still waving in the dark since another character appears in the story by the name of Meyer Wolfsheim, a shady, queer figure that doesn’t leave us a lot to thing about him but we do know that he had on the past connections with Germans, the war and know the Mafia. He is the one who claims that he has made Gatsby what he really is.
    As a character he is strange in his manners but always gentle and mannered. Even at times that he has the parties and social gatherings in his house, we cannot say that he really enjoys them, as the reason of organising is to see and be with Daisy. There are moments that when Daisy is with her husband Tom, he still uses the best course of his behaviour and is seen as a true gentleman. In front of her he becomes like a boy in his first relationship ever experienced. There are two faces seen in the movie. A great, powerful man and a weak, feeble boy in front of a girl.
    At the end the writer leaves us with a sense of distress and a moment of truth when a great personality such as Gatsby is left with nothing but his thoughts, memories and feelings even after such a great effort that he had made in his life, goes amiss. Much to do about nothing, as Shakespeare could characterize in his comedy plays.

This analysis of the great Gatsby is without head and tail accounts. As I have read the book repeatedly recently I find it that it represented or spoke for the great American dream. Everyone has a dream of being successful, rich, famous and yet there are long-cuts or short-cuts to the riches. Engaging in crimes and make wealth is the short cult to the riches. Gatsby is not inhuman. He is like anybody of us and the only difference between some of us and him is he chose a wrong route to richness.

One of the finest things the author wants to say is despite his way of amassing wealth was curved and crooked there was no dearth of feelings, sentiments the rest of us have. Even a crook or bootlegger like Gatsby has a flame of morality and he was not to be blamed for all that has happened. It is our social values and social systems. Here I go against the idea of Freewill. The idea of Freewill is totally trash. It is always our circumstances that shape our course of life and influence our activities. Today our social system is rooted in the belief that you can amass wealth, can own a luxury car and hold a high rank you will secure your space in society or you will earn public acceptance and honor of your friends and envy of your foes.

Everyone wants to earn something in life, a name and wants to fulfill his dream and there is too much competition in society and that is why because of the disfavoring socioeconomic and political environments we tend to take on a particular course in life and this course Gatsby has taken is wrong from a particular social norm and standard but from a different lens in the same social setup his course has public endorsement.

Today for instance most youths think that one cannot achieve a success if one does not deviate his course of life. Since everyone dreams of amassing wealth and be popular and celebrated one becomes tempted to take on a wrong course. It can be any of us, you and me to take on that course to affluence. That is a shortcut.

One of the beautiful things about this book is even in the first chapter the writer has hinted at some great facts or his opinions in a very subtle way on judgement. He through the narrator said one should not be critical or judgmental about others since everybody is not getting the same opportunity. How do you judge about an abandoned family and the children grew up in that circumstance. You cannot expect them to be moral since the circumstances they were compel to be criminals or wrongdoers.

In fact the novelist maintained a social background in a way that is both artistically marvelous and mirrors the society the values that fostered in the 1930s in the US. He has a message
    Last edited by osho; 10-08-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    This analysis of the great Gatsby is without head and tail accounts. As I have read the book repeatedly recently I find it that it represented or spoke for the great American dream. Everyone has a dream of being successful, rich, famous and yet there are long-cuts or short-cuts to the riches. Engaging in crimes and make wealth is the short cult to the riches. Gatsby is not inhuman. He is like anybody of us and the only difference between some of us and him is he chose a wrong route to richness.

One of the finest things the author wants to say is despite his way of amassing wealth was curved and crooked there was no dearth of feelings, sentiments the rest of us have. Even a crook or bootlegger like Gatsby has a flame of morality and he was not to be blamed for all that has happened. It is our social values and social systems. Here I go against the idea of Freewill. The idea of Freewill is totally trash. It is always our circumstances that shape our course of life and influence our activities. Today our social system is rooted in the belief that you can amass wealth, can own a luxury car and hold a high rank you will secure your space in society or you will earn public acceptance and honor of your friends and envy of your foes.

Everyone wants to earn something in life, a name and wants to fulfill his dream and there is too much competition in society and that is why because of the disfavoring socioeconomic and political environments we tend to take on a particular course in life and this course Gatsby has taken is wrong from a particular social norm and standard but from a different lens in the same social setup his course has public endorsement.

Today for instance most youths think that one cannot achieve a success if one does not deviate his course of life. Since everyone dreams of amassing wealth and be popular and celebrated one becomes tempted to take on a wrong course. It can be any of us, you and me to take on that course to affluence. That is a shortcut.

One of the beautiful things about this book is even in the first chapter the writer has hinted at some great facts or his opinions in a very subtle way on judgement. He through the narrator said one should not be critical or judgmental about others since everybody is not getting the same opportunity. How do you judge about an abandoned family and the children grew up in that circumstance. You cannot expect them to be moral since the circumstances they were compel to be criminals or wrongdoers.

In fact the novelist maintained a social background in a way that is both artistically marvelous and mirrors the society the values that fostered in the 1930s in the US. He has a message
    You are something else, Osho (like I, Ha!). I cannot disagree much with what you said. It's very much implied in a good analysis of the work. Perhaps, as you say, those were the net intentions of the writer.
    Regarding free will, I mostly agree with you. There is not such thing because we are all, all without exception, condemned to circumstances. We are a definite product of the society (class) into which we are born. There is no way out of that but some erroneous shortcut. So the only free will we have is to make choices within those circumstances. We have no other. There is no such thing as actual free will except in choosing what's not free. But choices must be made or each would suffer a milder or stronger case of catatonia. What are the choices is the only genuine question that could be asked regarding free will.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    You are something else, Osho (like I, Ha!). I cannot disagree much with what you said. It's very much implied in a good analysis of the work. Perhaps, as you say, those were the net intentions of the writer.
    Regarding free will, I mostly agree with you. There is not such thing because we are all, all without exception, condemned to circumstances. We are a definite product of the society (class) into which we are born. There is no way out of that but some erroneous shortcut. So the only free will we have is to make choices within those circumstances. We have no other. There is no such thing as actual free will except in choosing what's not free. But choices must be made or each would suffer a milder or stronger case of catatonia. What are the choices is the only genuine question that could be asked regarding free will.
    You have completed my points or else what I said would have suffered certain drawbacks. Yes we have the choice, every criminal has the choice. I am sure every criminal has the good side of him and that remains inert under a certain circumstance.

Even when we make choices certain external events or circumstances influence our patterns of behavior. Maybe our moral or value - related programmings. Based on what we have been told or conditioned we behave or make choices. This is a very intricate subject and I mostly do not side with the advocates of freewill.

$

Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    You have completed my points or else what I said would have suffered certain drawbacks. Yes we have the choice, every criminal has the choice. I am sure every criminal has the good side of him and that remains inert under a certain circumstance.

Even when we make choices certain external events or circumstances influence our patterns of behavior. Maybe our moral or value - related programmings. Based on what we have been told or conditioned we behave or make choices. This is a very intricate subject and I mostly do not side with the advocates of freewill.

$
    Agree.

Dr.Hmm
    Yes we have the choice, every criminal has the choice. I am sure every criminal has the good side of him and that remains inert under a certain circumstance.
    This brings us to the idea of moral relativism. Gatsby is only a criminal because he believes if he can become rich then Daisy will take him back, however, being rich isn't everything. For Daisy to truly see Gatsby as a rich man, he must gain class. Or old money.

Regardless, choices must be made, and it is a form of freewill, in ilness or in health. The point is that it is as much of freewill as anyone can afford. Frewill without qualification has never occurred.

Account closed.
    [/QUOTE] There are two faces seen in the movie. A great, powerful man and a weak, feeble boy in front of a girl.[/QUOTE]

What movie?

[/QUOTE]
    At the end the writer leaves us with a sense of distress and a moment of truth when a great personality such as Gatsby is left with nothing but his thoughts, memories and feelings even after such a great effort that he had made in his life, goes amiss. Much to do about nothing, as Shakespeare could characterize in his comedy plays.[/QUOTE]

I was left with a conflict- distress, yes. But my conflict was while Gatsby in a way was also the villain, I did not want him to be. I wanted him to be great. He wasn't, and that is what bothered me. I don't know why- because I really liked him, felt sorry for him. I found the story very sad, it is my favorite book. The great thing about it though was how we want to be fooled into thinking Gatsby was great, and in fact Nick was the only honest one, just like he said he was in the book. I loved the way Fitzgerald did this, it was brilliant.