Thread: Darcy's 2nd proposal

Darcy's 2nd proposal

I cannot for the life of me find where Darcy proposes to Elizabeth for the 2nd time when they are on their walk together at the Bennetts house. What does he say that is the proposal? ANd what does she say to accept. It is driving me nuts that I can't find it!

I think he say's something like...

"My feelings for you haven't changed, if you are still adverse to me then I will leave you be, but let me know...." YADA, yada...

And she replies.

"They are not the same, in fact they are quite different!" or something like that!

it happens about half-way through Chapter 58; Darcy says:

'..."You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.''

Elizabeth, feeling all the more than common awkwardness and anxiety of his situation, now forced herself to speak; and immediately, though not very fluently, gave him to understand that her sentiments had undergone so material a change, since the period to which he alluded, as to make her receive with gratitude and pleasure his present assurances...'

All's fair in love & war Amanda29's Avatar
    I agree with Yorke.

The second proposal wasn't the same as the first, simply because the original proposal always hung in the air between them. This being the case, Darcy told her his affections hadn't changed, meaning that he still loved her and wished to marry her. Elizabeth, showing the reserve of many women in her day, quietly explained that her affections were now the opposite of what they had been. Originally, she'd told him that he was the last person she would marry because of his arrogance amongst numerous misunderstandings. So, by saying that her feelings were opposite, she was implying that she was quite willing to marry him.

I love Pride and Prejudice!
    Last edited by Amanda29; 05-19-2007 at 06:04 PM.

I don't know if you can say the first proposal "hung in the air" though! She pretty much told him to f off (literally, if you take out all the words that make the book grammatically correct!!)