Thread: Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Has anyone here read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood? If so, what are your thoughts about it?
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

I first read Howard Pyle's Robin Hood when I was about 9 years old circa 1959. I was very moved by it and to this day I can still remember some of what I read. I remember reading Robin's death and epitaph at the end of the book and running out of my bedroom in tears saying "Robin Hood is dead" to my bewildered parents. It is an odd memory for me now. At 58 years old I picked up a copy of it on ebay and re-read it. The book is amazing in light of my age and maturity. As it turns out Robin was a bit of a bully, albiet not the usual cowardly bully. He simply went around making the lives of others somewhat miserable, However, he didn't mind taking a beating when he picked on someone of superior fighting skills to him. The ending was still sad. Howard Pyle's writing style stands the test of time. Robin and his men are both interesting and entertaining ... in both time periods. This book now holds a prominent place on my bookshelf! Thanks for asking; it's been a long time since I've thought about old Robin Hood and my beloved Howard Pyle

Robin Hood

Although Robin was a bully, this book makes the readers not like him and at the same time love him. I must admit that he does not mind being beaten by others who have more fighting skills than his.

I have read Robin Hood and like the character very much. I had a great thought or feeling for this this hero and I supported his idea of robbing the rich of their wealth and helping the poor with that but as my ideas advanced I did not like the idea of stripping the rich of their wealth but rather than doing this I like the idea of making the poor rich.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Is this book a novel, or is it claiming to be bringing the legends together to sort out the facts? I've been thinking of doing some reading into this character, so I'm wondering if those of you who have read it would recommend this work.

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    Is this book a novel, or is it claiming to be bringing the legends together to sort out the facts?
    As far as I know, Howard Pyle primarily wrote children's books, so this would be a watered-down version directed towards children. I think his work is worth checking out for the illustrations, but scholars would not consider this a primary source for the Robin Hood legend.

For a comprehensive list of Robin Hood sources, check out the following link:

http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/rh/rhaumenu.htm#P

It's from the University of Rochester, who have been at the forefront of bringing Robin Hood scholarship back into literature departments. They've founded the Robin Hood project, which is truly amazing. I'm interested in getting involved with the project, so I recently visited them and talked to the founding professor. He's pretty much considered the leading scholar on Robin Hood, and has done an interview with USA Today on the new Robin Hood movie (with Russell Crowe) that's coming out soon.
    Last edited by Wilde woman; 04-07-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: tenses went wonky

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply and the link, Wilde Woman