Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Religion Be Dead?

Will Religion Be Dead?

I'm trying to get articles that both support or disprove the theory that religion will be dead in the future. I've heard before that some scientists believe that in the future science will conquer, so to speak, and religion will be dead. In other words, that logic will overcome the superstitions and unstable beliefs of religions. I decided I'd do a paper on this but I'm having difficulty finding books, papers, etc. that support either view-point. Please help if anyone has a suggestion, and anyones opinion on the matter would be great too.

So, yay or nay on religion dying?
    Last edited by Embarr; 09-14-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    There is an interesting book length treatise that recently came out on the idea that atheism is on the decline called, The Twilight of Atheism by Alister McGrath. Published by Doubleday in 2004.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I don't have any suggestions but...when have human beings ever been logical and reasonable? As long you have this species called humans I don't think religion will ever die. Maybe you could do some research on human nature, bring some psychology into it. As for science...far to dull and boring, and it can't explain everything can it? What wil happen to emotions like love if religion dies?
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Nay ,
    I haven't really thought about it ( ok thats a lie what I mean is Ive never really looked into it in depth but anyways as I was saying) I seem to have this idea that religion goes in cycles historically speaking. Actually maybe what I mean more is that general social mainstream attitudes to (uggh I cant think of the word Im looking for attitude to life the reason for being etc like we had the puritans with the holy attitude the romantics with the 'mystical' idea the age of reason etc etc)
    If anyone is still following this bit of rambling I am aiming to get somewhere its just a bit of a crooked path I'm treading . err where was I yes cycles of thought. Well the way I see it is we are sort of in between an age of reason and romantics we are in a religious lull. Having said that if you just look around you there is always someone arguing religion in some form or other. And people need to belive in something I think religion will always be there. But then again I have to belive that its part of my religion.
    PS I LOVE my spell checker .
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Religioun, which religioun will die? beliefs of old egyptions are died, beliefs of greeks are died, beliefs of old romans are died, and so on old beliefs.... do you know what is the common thing between these beliefs? they are beliefs of plural gods, stones and so on. One belief is still alive and will be always alive since thousands of years, its monothism, believing in one Almighty God that created every thing, and every thing is witness in his power and in his existence.
    Since Abraham and untle nowadays "believing in one God" is still alive, by Moses, and Jesus and finally by prophet Muhammed pbu them all. it is a chain that will never be cut. Why Moses care about Abraham that he carried his thoughts, and why Muhammed after 500 of death of Jesus care about Jesus and care about his mother and showed that she is pure, and why they all carried one idea in all times and cared alot about it, and why the idea is still alive even after thousands of years and didnt die like other beliefs and spreaded so fast.
    Science will never negate existence of God, even science is going into a specified direction, a direction made by the one who made all this, not the direction that we choose.
    Discovering that the big bang doesnt deny the existence of God, its written in Holy Quran, discovering that world is expanding doesnt deny God, its written in Holy Quran, and so on facts that west is hiding them and working on bad reklama in order to spread thier negative thoughts. Beside the lies that are called science like Darwin theory cant ordinate people life, do you think that governments are happy that women are raped, men kill each other, babys abuse, behaviours of drunks, a woman is beaten in usa in every less than one mintue, women abuse, incest, prostitution, steeling. All this happen because people believe there is no good and bad, because they believe in "struggle to live". Knowing that g=9.8 m/sec^2 wont make the man stop beating his wife, but goverments dont want to admit this, because if they talk about good and bad, and talk about respect then they must agree with religioun thoughts.
    Finally i say that there are beliefs that will vanish, not because of science but because they are fake, plural gods is fake, i believe there is one God, and i believe that there is one path to him, the path that my good nature will accept, not to steel, not to lie, not to make relaitions bafore and out of marraige, to help poor, and more of that to praise God as he deserve, only one religioun praise God as should and as the good accept.

What about hinduism though? It's been around for a very long time and it may have a creator god (Brahma) but there are other gods. So, that kind of disproves the idea that multiple god religions have died out. True, there is Brahman who is like the God of hinduism but people still worship other gods.

Thanks for the book virgil! I'd really appreciate some stuff opposing that too. Anyone?
    Last edited by Embarr; 09-14-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Some kind of a thinker James Wallace's Avatar
    I don’t think religion will be dead in the future because man has conscience inside him and his conscience necessitates the idea of God's presence. The human being is reasonable one, or at least that's what he should be, he must realize he didn’t come into the world in vain; rather he was created according to God's unlimited wisdom. Religion –whatsoever religion, especially monotheistic ones and Islam in particular- is only thing that illustrates to us who created us, whose will rules us and how this universe is existent. Religion directs us to our benefit and sets the rules and the line we must follow according to God's orders to maintain mankind's life more pleasant and humane than in case of death of religion.

Blog Entries
    But thats not the question is it? sure certain beliefs die but religion as a whole dont. People always need to belive, and shield if you want to take that line of argument isn't it since before Abraham (as) its gone on forever since Adam I cant lay my hands on an English translation right now and am not in the state to translate surrat el baqurah ayah 37 "wa talaqya adam min rabhi kalimat fa taba alayhi inaho hoa el towab el raheem"
    But I think I know what you mean you mean the continuous string don't you same surrah later on when it says something about bani Israel being favored and loved above all other people ( because they had an undying line of prophet/ messenger from Abraham to Jesus?)
    Actually I dont belive those religions that fade necessarily fade because they are fake ( not that Im denying that I belive them to be wrong. What I mean is religion and probably more than one religion will always be around. They exist not only because they are true but because people belive them to be so. So if God is protecting a certain religion it doesn't meant that it will be the only one still standing come what may.

|currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Embarr View Post

Thanks for the book virgil! I'd really appreciate some stuff opposing that too. Anyone?
    have you tried google?
    I just did a quick search and there were several demograpphic servays etc.
    Actually Ive just had a thought I dont know if I can access the online referance library from home but if I can I pretty sure there is somthing similar on there.

Edit: No unfortunatly its an access through libraries only site. Its called Issues Online. great for a start point as itll link you to articles.
    Last edited by Nightshade; 09-14-2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I found out the answer

|currently reading

what did you google? I'm apparently having difficulties with that part of the search, lol. I don't think I'll be able to access that Issues Online thing either.

And James Wallace, your supporting argument is too narrow. You focus on religion being true, but I'm looking at religion surviving as a part of human nature. Everyone, this is an academic approach to religion and society.

life is but a dream
    I am not religious, nor will I ever be religious. But human nature and religion are complementary, and as long as there are problems and inequities in the world, there will be religion. Probably until the end of time. Which is not far off, I predict. Religion is not dead, it is simly changes--it changes with time. For example, protestantism is becoming or is already a stronger force than catholicism, but it is christianity nevertheless. The same applies everywhere else.
    I only wanted to live in accord with the promptings that came from my true self. Why was that so very difficult?

Here's another question: Should religion remain a substantial part of humanity? Does it benefit or hinder us as a society and why or why not? I'd appreciate an academic approach to these questions.

Religion is substantial for humanity,otherwise pur exictence is meaningless.

would you care to explain that a bit more? What is it about religion that makes life meaningful? Is it something that secularism cannot replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Embarr View Post
    ..... What is it about religion that makes life meaningful? Is it something that secularism cannot replace?
    Isn't Secularism a religion?

Hmm, perhaps you should first provide definition of terms ('religion', 'science', 'dead' ,...)

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast