Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impossible!!!

Impossible!!!

ILYWYBMW??WWBHUTEOOL!
    Y!ILYT!

No, I'm not crazy...
    I love you, will you be my wife??We will be happy until the end of our lives!
    Yes! I love you to!

You remeber conversation like that between Levin and Kitty... I think it's one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen, and from so serious writer. But is there anyone( nobody will think he's crazy ) who thinks that conversation like that is possible??
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    ILYWYBMW??WWBHUTEOOL!
    Y!ILYT!

No, I'm not crazy...
    I love you, will you be my wife??We will be happy until the end of our lives!
    Yes! I love you to!

You remeber conversation like that between Levin and Kitty... I think it's one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen, and from so serious writer. But is there anyone( nobody will think he's crazy ) who thinks that conversation like that is possible??
    I completely agree but you know what? That actually happened! He's 'reliving' something that happened between him and his wife before they were married. He was thought to be interested in her older sister and he was trying to get across that he wasn't interested in her and he did exactly what Levin did, wrote down the initials, "y.y.a.y.t.f.h.r.m.c.o.m.a.a.t.i.o.h.f.m." which Sonya miraculously correctly translated to mean, "Your youth and your thirst for happiness remind me cruelly of my age and the impossibility of happiness for me" (she was quite a few years younger than him) and then he wrote "y.f.i.m.a.m.a.y.s.L.H.m.t.d.m.y.a.T." which meant "Your family is mistaken about me and your sister Lisa. Help me to defend myself, you and Tonya." I can't even begin to imagine how she did that, it just seems so ridiculous to me but I guess it actually happened.

Destiny, I guess. Really interesting...Tonya is probably Sonya , his wife and mother of 13 children.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.

I don't know what that Tonya reference is about, she was actually Sonya's younger sister and the model for the character of Natasha in War and Peace along with Sonya, she was kind of a combination of the two but from what I can tell, Tonya was the dominate inspiration. Anyway, Tolstoy was particularly fond of her, maybe he was just worried that if he changed "horses" mid race, if he changed his focus from Lisa to Sonya, he would lose Tonya's respect?

The whole courtship of Levin and Kitty was very close to Tolstoy's courtship with Sonya and she was very pleased to see him include it in the novel. I wonder if it helped balance out the bitter resentment she felt when he later wrote about marriage in The Kreutzer Sonata.

I havent' read The Kreutzer Sonata...Yet!! But I will...One day!!! Levin was thinking about suicide, maybe Tolstoy thought about it too. I can't imagine two persons knowing each other so well to have a conversation in that way...HI,HAY? Now you guess...

I havent' read The Kreutzer Sonata...Yet!! But I will...One day!!! Levin was thinking about suicide, maybe Tolstoy thought about it too. I can't imagine two persons knowing each other so well to have a conversation in that way...HI,HAY? Now you guess...
    "HI,HAY?"
    Hi Idril, How Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by Bita View Post
    "HI,HAY?"
    Hi Idril, How Are You?
    You know, I sat there for about 5 minutes thinking, "Do I know Bita? Why is she asking me how I am?" Man, I'm really not very bright sometimes.

I'm impressed you got that because I certainly didn't. I looked at it the first time and at least figured out it was code for something but nothing came to mind right away and I didn't have the time to really give it a lot of thought then I forgot all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov
    Levin was thinking about suicide, maybe Tolstoy thought about it too.
    He did, sort of, fleetingly but I can't imagine that someone who thought so highly of himself would deprive the world of his presence. I love Tolstoy, I think even better than Dostoevsky and I know that may sound like blasphemy to you, Bazarov , but I really do find Tolstoy a more fluid read than Dostoevsky but Tolstoy had some serious issues and a high opinion of himself was one of them.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I read that part, I had a hard time believing that he had actually done the same thing in real life.

Hmm, maybe people could actually communicate like that...I mean, some couples complete each other's sentences...but that's easier.

Could have been divine intervention lol. Because Kitty was faithful and Levin was trying to find faith. I don't know I am just blabbing.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

"HI,HAY?"
    Hi Idril, How Are You?
    Brilliant!!!! Although it was very simple , brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Idril View Post
    You know, I sat there for about 5 minutes thinking, "Do I know Bita? Why is she asking me how I am?" Man, I'm really not very bright sometimes.

I'm impressed you got that because I certainly didn't. I looked at it the first time and at least figured out it was code for something but nothing came to mind right away and I didn't have the time to really give it a lot of thought then I forgot all about it.

He did, sort of, fleetingly but I can't imagine that someone who thought so highly of himself would deprive the world of his presence. I love Tolstoy, I think even better than Dostoevsky and I know that may sound like blasphemy to you, Bazarov , but I really do find Tolstoy a more fluid read than Dostoevsky but Tolstoy had some serious issues and a high opinion of himself was one of them.
    Maybe Leo thought he was too good for this world!
    In my opinion, Tolstoy is really a great great great writer, but he can't even sharpen pencils to Fyodor Pontifex Maximus Dostoevsky!

In my opinion, Tolstoy is really a great great great writer, but he can't even sharpen pencils to Fyodor Pontifex Maximus Dostoevsky!
    I know you think that and that's alright, I can live with it. I think of Dostoevsky as being a much heavier read, if that makes any sense and sometimes, that's exactly what I want, there are times when I love being challenged but I do find that when I read Tolstoy there is a sense of pure enjoyment that isn't there when I read Dostoevsky. Dostoevsky is more intellectual and Tolstoy is more emotional...at least for me.
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Quote Originally Posted by Idril View Post
    now you know me! n.t.m.y.!

Brilliant!!!! Although it was very simple , brilliant!
    I'm glad you think so ... though it wasn't hard to guess from the question mark.

Maybe Leo thought he was too good for this world!
    Dostoevsky is simply one of the greatest writers. Certainly when it comes to philosophical and religious issues. However because of this - I think- he didn't focus on society (compared to Tolstoy and Dickens)- but more on the individual. Don't you think so?

I am not so sure cause I have only read his Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov .

now you know me! n.t.m.y.!
    Nice to meet you! Hey, what do you know, I got it.

Hi Bita!

I think Dostoevsky's focus was smaller than Tolstoy's in that he focused mainly on city life, the upper class while Tolstoy branched out a little more, telling stories about not just about city life and the upper class but also about peasants and about the Caucasus and the Crimean but I do agree that Dostoevsky delved a little deeper into his subjects than Tolstoy and he was a little more scathing in his critique of society and religious topics while Tolstoy was more of a recorder and left the reader to make his own judgements...for the most part, there are exceptions on both sides but those are the big, general impressions I get of each author.
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast