Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm moving !

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar

I'm moving !

Yay, I'm finally leaving my narrow village to exchange it with bright lights 'n' big city In two weeks I'll be moving to the city of Heidelberg to attend uni there (maybe some of you already heard of it ? It's a big touristy attraction in Germany ). I just can't wait to finally get out of my parents' and have my own flat ! However, as I never moved houses alone before, I'm a bit nervous about all the things I will need in my new flat but have taken for granted all the while I lived with my parents'. I've made a list so far (featuring vacuum cleaner, can-opener, iron-thingy,...), but I'd be glad for some more advice.
    Maybe some of you feel like sharing their experiences concerning moving into a new flat and don't mind passing on some grandfatherly/grandmotherly advice to me ?
    Apart from the obvious items such as clothes, food and books , what would you guys think I should take with me to my new flat ?
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Blog Entries
    Well lassee, here's some grandfatherly advice for you.
    First of all congrats on the move!

I suggest you think of all the things you can think off and just make the move, when you are in your new place you'll soon enough find things you could use or need and don't yet have. No amount of preparations can prevent that, Just go out and get what you need when the need arises.

Trust me, after a week or two you'll be all settled in and ideas start popping in your head on how to improve things.

Best advice I can give you is to get out there and explore the city, get to know the useful places, like supermarket, bookstores, etc.
    Also start making new friends. That's the best thing you can do when you move out to live on your own. Not that you'll need a gazillion friends, you get the idea.

Good luck, and all that.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Imagine moving by plane... I just can't bring all I want to bring! :

Anyway I think you just have to bring the things you can think of, and then all the rest will come up... Every time I've lived alone I just settled little by little by feeling the need of more things as time passed... I agree with Aimus, once you'll be quiet there ideas will come.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

When you move to a new place, it's good to make friends in there, get out of home sometimes to explore your sorroundings.

And don't forget to take your computer with you so you can visit litnet!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    A decent set of tools and a flashlight
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Congratulations, Schokokeks! You're first place on your own is always exciting and a little scary. As far as what to pack or bring, Aimus has the best advice, just pack what comes to mind now and see what you need later. But don't forget cleaning products because eventually, you will have to clean something.

As far as getting to know the city, check the paper, they usually have all kinds of free, public access activities that you can participate in and it helps you to get to know the city on a strict budget and hopefully, you'll meet a few people in the process.

Will you have a roommate?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schokokeks View Post
    Yay, I'm finally leaving my narrow village to exchange it with bright lights 'n' big city In two weeks I'll be moving to the city of Heidelberg to attend uni there (maybe some of you already heard of it ? It's a big touristy attraction in Germany ).
    On the contrary, I'm dying to move to a place where there are no glarring lights and skycrappers around . But I wish you a warm congratulation for the new adventure that you're about to have. Remember to study well, get straight As, and have lots of fun

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words !!
    Luckily, I already know some people from the neighbourhood, so I won't be completely lost during the first days
    My computer will definetely not be left behind, Pensy
    Thanks, kilted exile, already stole a flashlight and some useful tools from the cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Idril
    But don't forget cleaning products because eventually, you will have to clean something.
    okay okay, I thought I might get around that, but seems there's no chance Yes, I will be sharing the room with a friend of mine, though only for the first semester after which she'll transfer to another uni.

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    On the contrary, I'm dying to move to a place where there are no glarring lights and skycrappers around . But I wish you a warm congratulation for the new adventure that you're about to have. Remember to study well, get straight As, and have lots of fun
    Ay Siiiiir !
    I guess if I had lived in a big city all my life, I wouldn't have had the wish to study in a busy place either. It's just that I'm so fed up with the tiny village where I live now and all its narrow-minded people. I hunger to live somewhere different, but maybe, who knows, after a certain time I'll find out that I don't feel at ease there either, and I might happily return to a smaller place and retire there

Quote Originally Posted by Koa
    I agree with Aimus, once you'll be quiet there ideas will come.
    Thanks Koa and Aimus, that's quite soothing advice I'll try not to worry too much and let the excitement prevail
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schokokeks View Post
    I'll try not to worry too much and let the excitement prevail
    I know how you feel and this my what -let me think -5th move in 3 years. and my 7th in eight years, 2 being major lets leave this whole continent moves and yet Im still all nervous and excited ( it being my first move on my own .

Gosh alot of us are up for a move this month arent there?
    Anyway what was it I meant to say--( i know Im rambling again but Im hungry) oh yes when packing up an entire room ( unless you are lucky and your family isnt dyig for you to leave so someone else can take over your room )
    use small manageble sized boxes. DONOT pack the cast from when you broke your leg three years ago as they dont survive and stink out the whole box.
    As for books same rule dont fill an big box ( no more than 20 to a box or you cripple whoever is nice enough to carry them around for you and youll be stuck lugging the big suitcase! )

ummmm just the obvious if you are putting together boxes put an arrow pointing to the top and( rember to tape the bottems before you fill them- faliure to do this results in alot of swearing when everything falls out after youve spent 3 hours packing them.

coonect to the internet as soon as possible and keep us updated!!
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your move, you must be very excited. When I lived at home, I took the supply of bedlinens and towels for granted, and then realized I would have to buy some for myself. Remember, you can never have too many towels!
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Congratulations, dear Schokokeks - what a large, honorable step in life!
    After living with roommates for years, I plan to get my own apartment very soon, too (as soon as I can find one, beyond my often hectic work schedule ). Everyone had some excellent suggestions, but I would also recommend saving money for groceries. When first moving away from the parents' home, I seemed to have calculated everything correctly (rent, utilities, dishes, furniture, etc.), but I forgot the much-needed necessity of food! Hopefully you will not overlook it as I did, but I suggest setting aside some funds for groceries; healthy nutrients, in my opinion, seem more important than a few other things on my list of expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    DONOT pack the cast from when you broke your leg three years ago as they dont survive and stink out the whole box.
    Sounds like you had an interesting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AimusSage
    I suggest you think of all the things you can think off and just make the move, when you are in your new place you'll soon enough find things you could use or need and don't yet have. No amount of preparations can prevent that, Just go out and get what you need when the need arises.
    Thats definitely true, in my opinion. The first time I moved out I had only my clothes, desk and books . . . . later on that afternoon I realized I would need silverware. And a shower curtain . . . and shower soap . . . and glasses for the kitchen, etc etc. You'll know what you need when you need it, and that shouldn't be too big of a deal if you're able to go out and get what you need.
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutGrace View Post
    Sounds like you had an interesting experience.
    Oh a few.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with the move Schokokeks not much to add in advice that others haven't already mentioned.. but will you have your own phone or sharing? or maybe you have a cell phone and it doesn't matter.

Have you already arranged for internet connection to be hooked up as of the day you move in? here sometimes you can wait days before they can do it. I'd say grab whatever your parents are willing to "donate" to you by way of cleaning supplies, dish soap, laundry detergent etc etc it really adds up when you have to buy it all at once, and, a pain when suddenly you realise you don't have such things on hand.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Congrats on the move! Do you have plans for your laundry?

A good idea might be to think about each room, and what you would need for it, and looking at your parent's home might help. If you can plan what you need, you may avoid forgetting the toilet paper!
    When ideas fail, words come in very handy.

Count to 10,000 and down to -10,000!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast