Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fav Shakespeare play?

Hamlet is by far my favorite. It is a very compelling piece of work that always gets me.

Heya

Hamlet - incredibly complex play. Some say it's more interesting for what is not said than what is said. Some of the best soliloquies ever.

Love the 'There's a willow grows askant a brook' speech.

I love Midsummer Nights Dream. As a child, I always wanted to enter the worlds of the fairies, and now, as an actor, I have! We performed it last year, and it was magical!
    Raven

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    I'm directing it right now.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Hmmm... I'd have to say Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing (although I'm on board with the earlier comment about Hero), and A Winter's Tale - which I don't believe anyone has mentioned yet. I like it, in spite of its problems (or, more likely, because of them).
    Cheers!
    At the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box...

fated loafer
    Much Ado About Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Hamlet. Has anybody seen the 5 minute Hamlet or the Shakespeare Reduced Stage Production, it is hilarious, turning the tragedies into great comic works due to their fast pace.

I don't think so, but I've seen the "Compleat Wrks of Wllm Shkspr" -- I think that's what it's called. Where they do a whole bunch of the comedies and tragedies together pell-mell? It was definately the funniest Shakespeare I've ever seen!
    At the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box...

I saw the Reduced Shakespeare Company do a comic Julius Ceaser. That was great. They perform in London now and are running The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged), The Complete History of America (abridged), and The Bible: The Complete Works of God (abridged).

fated loafer
    Yeah it was something like that, whatever it was called, I recomend it to any avid fans of Will for kicks.

Ooh ooh ooh! I saw the Complete Works (abridged) in London Mar or Apr 1998. All I knew about it was a poster in my English teacher's class, and I absolutely died laughing. One of the actors got hit on the head with a pound coin when people threw money onto the stage at one point, and he really got whacked hard. It was so sad.

My favorite play is either Much Ado or Twelfth Night. Titus is by far my favorite movie of a Shak. play, though -- Hopkins and Alan Cumming are so great.

Midsummer Night's Dream and Shrew are definitely, no contest, my LEAST favorite of the plays. I don't think Taming of the Shrew should even be produced anymore, although I heard of one interesting version where the director had Kate break down in bitter tears at the end of her last monologue. IMO, that's the only way to perform it within the bounds of good taste.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

"Much ado about nothing" and "Hamlet"
    I saw old Russian movie "Hamlet", it impressed me a lot.
    Espesially this scene : (Act III, Scene II)

"O! the recorders: let me see one. To withdraw with you: why do you go about to recover the wind of me, as if you would drive me into a toil?
    Guil O! my lord, if my duty be too bold, my love is too unmannerly.
    Ham. I do not well understand that. Will you play upon this pipe?
    Guil. My lord, I cannot.
    Ham. I pray you.
    Guil. Believe me, I cannot.
    Ham. I do beseech you.
    Guil. I know no touch of it, my lord.
    Ham. Tis as easy as lying; govern these ventages with your finger and thumb, give it breath with your mouth, and it will discourse most eloquent music. Look you, these are the stops.
    Guil. But these cannot I command to any utterance of harmony; I have not the skill.
    Ham. Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me. You would play upon me; you would seem to know my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass; and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak. -Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me."

I know my favorite scenes of Romeo and Julieta by heart, but in my native language.
    Last edited by ravana; 04-20-2004 at 08:33 AM.

That is such a great speach. Shakespeare was the man.

Em, Shrew is a great play. Both Kate and Petruccio were horrible to each other, so my heart isn't going to bleed for Kate. The production that I saw (with an all female cast btw) did a great job of showing how every time Petruccio was about to give in, Kate would go and do something *****y and ruin it. Its not a cheuvenist play about a tyrant husband. Its about a jerk of a guy trying to fix his ***** of a wife.

That's a good point, Kik. But though I'm usually the last person to complain about "womens issues," I can't help wincing at some of the lines in that play. It's so... "The Quiet Man"-ish. Not denying they're still both creeps -- that's why it stays at the bottom of my list. Socio-political issues aside, I just find it unenjoyable.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

fair enough. I think its great.

Blog Entries
    Macbeth is my fave, it was the first one I read by him and I was 12 or 13 and I've read it a few times after that...but they are all so good and every time I finish one I think it's the best one by him...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast