Thread: Questions: The Red-Headed League

an amateur Sherlockian holmesian's Avatar

Question Questions: The Red-Headed League

i have a few questions. these are:

1) wilson came to holmes on 9 october, 1890. and he said he started the job of copying encyclopaedias 2 months ago. but he shows a newspaper which has the date: 27 april, 1890.

how can 27 april, 1890 be 2 months ago from 9 october, 1890?

2) "Beyond the obvious facts that he has at some time done manual labour, that he takes snuff, that he is a Freemason, that he has been in China, and that he has done a considerable amount of writing lately, I can deduce nothing else."

how did he know about the snuff and Freemason?

3) October 9, 1890 was not a saturday as mentioned in the story. it was a thursday.

4) "Sherlock Holmes and I surveyed this curt announcement and the rueful face behind it, until the comical side of the affair so completely overtopped every other consideration that we both burst out into a roar of laughter."

well, i didnt find it funny enough to "burst out into a roar of laughter". what about you people?

5) Holmes sat up in his chair in considerable excitement. "I thought as much," said he. "Have you ever observed that his ears are pierced for earrings?"

how did he know about the earrings?

6) Finally he returned to the pawnbroker's, and, having thumped vigorously upon the pavement with his stick two or three times, he went up to the door and knocked.

holmes carries a stick??? did he always carry it???

7) "He is, in my judgment, the fourth smartest man in London, and for daring I am not sure that he has not a claim to be third. I have known something of him before."

if he is the third smartest then the first two are definitely holmes and moriarty. but if he is the fourth smartest then who is the third?

8) "John Clay, the murderer, thief, smasher, and forger. He's a young man, Mr. Merryweather, but he is at the head of his profession, and I would rather have my bracelets on him than on any criminal in London."

what about moriarty? doesn't he want to have his bracelets on him?

9) didn't holmes have a firearm? why did he take his hunting crop?

10) "I must really ask you to be a little more quiet!" said Holmes severely. "You have already imperilled the whole success of our expedition."

what did holmes mean by "you have already imperilled..."? i mean why did holmes say that to mr. merryweather?

11) how did holmes find out that the assistant was John Clay?

12) "Saturday would suit them better than any other day, as it would give them two days for their escape."

why would the criminals get two days to escape after saturday? (and Oct. 9, 1890 wasn't saturday as i said earlier)

13) "Yes, sir. He and a girl of fourteen, who does a bit of simple cooking and keeps the place clean..."

didn't the girl suspect anything fishy going around the house in the absence of wilson? after all, they were burrowing from wilson's house to the bank. she must have heard or seen something.

or maybe she was an accomplice? what do you people think?
    "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world without them."
    (The Adventure of the Three Gables)

dear Holmesian

I have examined the story carefully,I hope my answers will satisfy you:

1)9 October 1890 is not the day Wilson comes to Holmes,it is the desolving day of Red Headed League.

2)Holmes see the "arc and compass" (which is the symbol of fremasonery) breastpin.
    As for snuff Holmes says:"I won't insult your intelligence by telling you how I read that".I guess Holmes deduct it from Wilson's imbecility.

3)I do not doubt your knowledge.But it is just a dedective story and I use it for brain exercise.

4)I agree with you.There is nothing to "burst out into a roar of laughter".

5)I think that:From the other descriptions which were given by Jawes Wilson (white splash of acid on his forehead,no hair on his face etc.)Holmes has already had the opinion that this man is John Clay.Holmes asked this question just to confirm his opinion.
    Holmes also says that:"I have had one or two little turns with Mr. John Clay.."
    from this sentence we can say that he has already seen him or during his investigations he got the description of John Clay from someone else.

6)Holmes carry this stick for examining the ground.

7)In my opinion in this sentence Holmes refers to other criminals.

8)Chronogically he has not met Moriarity yet.

9)Because he only wanted to catch him.Not kill him.

10)He said that to Mr. Merryweather because he did strike his stick on the floor when thiefs were about to come.

11)Answer 5

12)I am sure that your knowledge is the true one.But if you suppose that 9th october is saturday everything is ok

13)I think that she is the accomplice,but why John Clay has opened the door himself when Holmes tapped the door?

Quote Originally Posted by ferhatuygur View Post
    1)9 October 1890 is not the day Wilson comes to Holmes,it is the desolving day of Red Headed League.
    let me refresh your memory by an extract from the story. the following was told by wilson:

"Yes, sir. And no later than this morning. I went to my work as usual at ten o’clock, but the door was shut and locked, with a little square of card-board hammered on to the middle of the panel with a tack. Here it is, and you can read for yourself."

He held up a piece of white card-board about the size of a sheet of note-paper. It read in this fashion:

THE RED-HEADED LEAGUE
    IS
    DISSOLVED.
    October 9, 1890.

see the part i highlighted with red? it suggests that wilson came to holmes on 9 october, 1890.

9)Because he only wanted to catch him.Not kill him.
    then why did holmes ask watson to take his army revolver? did he want watson to kill him? clearly it is not a matter of wanting to kill but being armed and safe against such criminals as John Clay.

12)I am sure that your knowledge is the true one.But if you suppose that 9th october is saturday everything is ok
    why would i suppose 9th October 1890 was saturday. it was NOT saturday, it was a thursday. and even if that is a saturday, that still doesnt answer my question. i wanted to know why the criminals would get two days to escape after saturday.
    Last edited by holmesian; 10-27-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world without them."

I think that:No later than this morning means:This morning he came to Sherlock holmes before ten o'clock.

Holmes may have been considered to kill him but it was the last choice.(If you remember other adventures you will see that he never prefers killing,it is not his style)

Criminals would have two days because saturday and sunday banks do not work and until monday (when the bank is open) no one wuold be aware of the theft.

I think that:No later than this morning means:This morning he came to Sherlock holmes before ten o'clock.
    no, thats not what it means.

Then it looks like that there is a problem with dates on this story.

Then it looks like that there is a problem with dates on this story.
    yeah there is a problem with dates in this story.
    i have found something interesting. visit this site:
    http://www.sherlockian.net/world/cruxes.html

there they described some of the problems and inconsistencies in the stories. it also contains the problem with dates in Red-headed League.
    Last edited by holmesian; 10-27-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

2.) The habitual user of snuf, or powered tobbaco, is show by traces of the stuff around the edges of the mouth, or in the case of the ones who used to "snort" or put it up their nose, in that area. The ones who take it in their mouth, come to eventually have a a slight deformity of the lower lip. Also recall, that in that time period people were prone to wearing the same clothes for days. The specks of snuff may have been on the clothes.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Mr. Gordon Comstock Gordon Comstock's Avatar
    Holmesian,

Quote Originally Posted by holmesian View Post
    no, thats not what it means.
    Pendragon is a connoisseur of Holmesian knowledge. It would be in your greater advantage to discuss these with him with his profound expertise.
    Mr. Cheeseman ordered the five hundred
    assorted titles, and Gordon started work on the twentieth of December.