Thread: Star Wars

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley

Star Wars

One of my friends and I got into an arguement about how Star Wars was written. He seems to think that George Lucas wrote 9 Star Wars novels, and than made the original 3 films based on books 4-6. I think that the films were written and produced, than addapted to novel form. I havn't actually read any of the Star Wars novels except for The Phantom Menace <shudder> which was written by Terry Brooks of Shanarha fame, not George Lucas. Similarly, Attack of the Clones was written by R.A. Salvatore of Forgotten Realms fame, not George Lucas. My poor misguided friend says that episodes 1-3 have been rewritten by commercial novelists to sell more copies. If someone has read some Star Wars novels and can settle our arguement, it would be much appreciated.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

I haven't read any Star Wars novel, but if it counts, I think you're right. Lucas wrote the script for the original trilogy one at a time, and not as novels. The same goes for the other 3, although they have been "adapted" to novel format.
    By the way, the new trilogy sucks.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Blog Entries
    I am a star wars nerd. Mr. kiku is right, the scripts were first, Lucas was trying to write a space opera. The new Trilogy is not bad, Lucas is a genius, i just hope he gets the last three done before he dies.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Thanx Stan, I figured that if someone on this board knew for sure it would be you.

The new trilogy isn't bad, episode I was terrible though. I'll never forgive Lucas for creating Jar Jar Binks

If you accept that the new trilogy is Flash Gordon (the black and white TV series) rather than A Space Odyssey, then it's pure escapism - Episode III will be the darkest of the six.

Blog Entries
    Anikan will go nuts, amidala will die, jedis will die. Lots of stuff will die, and maybe 3po will get gold plating...

I didn't mind the first one, the lightsaber duel made up for Jar Jar dinks.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

The light sabre duel definitely made up for Jar Jar.

Too often you have older and less physical actors playing your leads and so you can't do really impressive duels. Ewan McGregor and whoever played Darth Maul though were able to pull it off nicely.

In contrast they had to put the Christopher Lee/Yoda duel in near total darkness because Christopher Lee is around 80 and unable to actually peform those stunts.

I actually like all the StarWars movies. I think people got disappointed with the most recent movies because they forgot the older ones, as I find them very very similar. The same cryptic force talk that so many people complained about exists in the first trilogy -- were they expecting these movies to be different?
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Originally posted by Admin
    The light sabre duel definitely made up for Jar Jar.
    Yes. Darth Maul was very cool. And what did they do to him? He had only one lousy speech in the entire movie and he got killed. Way to go, Lucas.

In contrast they had to put the Christopher Lee/Yoda duel in near total darkness because Christopher Lee is around 80 and unable to actually peform those stunts.
    That battle was the only thing remarkable about the Attack of the Clones in my opinion.

I actually like all the StarWars movies. I think people got disappointed with the most recent movies because they forgot the older ones, as I find them very very similar. The same cryptic force talk that so many people complained about exists in the first trilogy -- were they expecting these movies to be different?
    Actually, no, but that's the point. I wanted the new movies to be as good and as entertaining as the original ones. Unluckily, I find the new ones to be incredibly dull and boring . I guess it's all a matter of opinion after all.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

They butchered the Force in the new trilogy. Yoda describes it to Luke in ESB as being in all things, people, animals, trees, ROCKS. Qui-Gon describes it as the presence of microscopic parasites called meticlorians that live in all LIVING things. Herein lies the problems:

A) If they are parasites that live off the nutrience of living organisms, how can they be in ROCKS as Yoda told us?

B) How in the blue hell can microscopic parasites cause your lightsabre to come flying into your hand? It makes sense for the sensing stuff, but what about the physical abilities? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Blog Entries
    The microbes cause it to be carried to your hand?

I like yodas original explanation, Lucas should have done his homework, the special effects were awesome though!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

yeah, but im still bitter about the mediclorians