Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Orwell's 1984

George Orwell's 1984

Hello Everyone,

First off, this is my first post...WOHOOO!

Now I have a question. I have finished this book and was left awstruck. Orwell was really ahead of himself. This book has a life that seems to always be a fear. He has theorys and very strong images.

I was wondering if I could have some help answering this. What technological advances addressed in the novel, "1984," present ethical implications today?

So far, I would say, Privacy is a major factor. The fear of big brother invading that privacy through computers, cell phones, and television.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
    -Trackster

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The propaganda being spewed from the radios in the streets may be considered simular to media outlets in the Western World that seem to be one-sided or slanted toward on arguement. Many peoples opinion are based on television media outlets so their opinions therefore become one-sided and slanted. Thats all of th top of my head
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Thanks Rabid reader.

There are many stations of Newspapers that give the one side of the story and not the other. Not a DRASTIC as in the novel, but still excluding some facts.

The times that spend in front of the telescreen yelling at a face they have grown to hate. (The called it the 10 mins hate If I recall) This immediatly reminded me of teh war in Iraq. It seems they always pump faces at us to hate. Osama and the lot.

If I were to make a list of things that were technological advances that are an issue in both the book and now...

Telescreens/servalence: Used as a way to keep tabs.

That is the only thing I can think of. There has to be more than that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackster View Post
    Thanks Rabid reader.

There are many stations of Newspapers that give the one side of the story and not the other. Not a DRASTIC as in the novel, but still excluding some facts.

The times that spend in front of the telescreen yelling at a face they have grown to hate. (The called it the 10 mins hate If I recall) This immediatly reminded me of teh war in Iraq. It seems they always pump faces at us to hate. Osama and the lot.
    I always assumed that was the senseless labels of communist, terrorist or witch.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

I am new..
    I am juz starting to read that book for class.... i will need some helps cuz these kind of books are not my kind... and yeah.. this is my first reply..
    Krystal Crossman

I am new..

Question Will Need Some Help With The Book Called 1984...

I will need some help cuz i am reading the book for class... and these kind of books are not my type.... But what do they mean by WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY INGORANCE IS STRENGTH?
    Krystal Crossman

This the way Big Brother maintains control. Its the logic that they make their people believe.

Ok, "What technological advances addressed in the novel present continued Ethical implications today?"

How would you answer that? I don't know...
    The use of propiganda? The use of computers and servalence?

What I think he means...

I just registered to answer this post.

Orwell uses these slogans to point to Big Brother's authority over what is meant by any word. The Ministry of Truth assures the truth is hidden but not really hidden. It is changed right in front of people and told to them over and over until they repeat the lies as truth. These contradictions are central to Big Brother's true source of power - the power to control thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XXKRISSIE16XX View Post
    I will need some help cuz i am reading the book for class... and these kind of books are not my type.... But what do they mean by WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY INGORANCE IS STRENGTH?
    In the book that Winston reads by Goldstein, their is a discription of the slogans purposes. They need a constant enemy to unite, In their freedom they have been enslaved by the government and in their ignorance they remain strong and unharmed. (overly simplistic but if you have read the bood you will easily find it.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

Beatnick Dreamtreker Whof Mojophonious's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackster View Post
    Hello Everyone,

First off, this is my first post...WOHOOO!

Now I have a question. I have finished this book and was left awstruck. Orwell was really ahead of himself. This book has a life that seems to always be a fear. He has theorys and very strong images.

I was wondering if I could have some help answering this. What technological advances addressed in the novel, "1984," present ethical implications today?

So far, I would say, Privacy is a major factor. The fear of big brother invading that privacy through computers, cell phones, and television.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
    -Trackster

My number one answer is all the reality shows we watch - true, we don't go back and alter what happened in the past, but we put together a contrived reality, call it reality, air it on TV, but they all know they are being watched, just like in the book.

The first show, as you know, was named Big Brother ... in honor of Orwell. Oh, and the speakwrite on which Winstons did his work ... we have that now too as a special software!
    "... this above all; to thine own self be true and as it must follow the night the day - thou canst not then be false to any man."

I just joined to post about this book too-- first I have to say to XXX Krystal-- thank god this book is here because if it is "not your kind of book" then it is you who need to read it most.

Second-- I think nearly all technology is what Orwell is commenting on-- he is discussing the machine age. The impact of owning the atomic bomb is as much in the forefront of his writing as is the factory or the television. The post industrial era is lumped into one here.

I live in China-it is so interesting to re-read this book here. I am getting ready to teach it in the Spring.

I am interested in my second reading of this book at this station in life because I don't have a television, I can't read the propaganda surrounding me, the only media I receive is the censored internet. I wonder if I have this sort of "boat-life" mentality created by my strength in ignorance

Remember one of the strongest quotes from Mr. Orwell's novel:
    "Whoever controls the future controls the past."

Mr. Orwell knew that media and the control of that media would be key in the future. The Ministry of Truth exerted control by altering not what happened but by altering what was reported, even going far back into the past and changing things. Think of the chocolate rations and the soldiers Winston creates, and the original members of the revolution.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    -- Sir Winston Churchill

I think Sir Winston Churchill's quote is more true today then when he made it.

Hi,
    This is my first post also. I just started reading 1984 and am not very far into it yet. Big Brother is watching reminds me of our government's Patriot Act. That sure has been an invasion of privacy.

ski4fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast