Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible story

Favorite bible story

What is your favorite bible story?
    Mine is the story of ester and the Christmas story, specifically the part about the sheperds because I was a sheperd in the school christmas play for my entire childhood. The story of ester is just really cool.
    Wilfred

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    I like the story of david. especially after reading Joseph Heller's God Knows
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

All the bible is good
    Seriously, I like daniel's story, the four gospels of the new testament, the apocalypse, and some of the letters.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

I love so many but there is one person who really intrigues me because in spite of all that happened to him he was all forgiveness and tenderness and the Bible never tells of any flaws he has or badness within him. That person is Joseph child of Israel, formerly Jacob.
    He was the most cherished other than Benjamin of all the children for he came forth from the only woman his father loved with all his being.
    People think he was boasting when he told his dream but that is incorrect, he simply told the dream and it seemed preposterous that the sun and the moon and the eleven stars would bow down to him.
    But that is exactly what happened to him after he was sold in slavery into the land of Egypt by his slightly jealous brothers.
    After fourteen years in jail for a crime he did not commit he still loved and trusted his God and it all worked out splendidly in the end. He got out of the slammer, became second only to Pharoah himself, saved the entire world from famine by God's wisdom in action thru him and his family did indeed bow down before him.
    I just loved that he never lost his integrity or his dignity or his sweetness of spirit.

"Faithful is HE who promised". Holy Scripture

Blog Entries
    I love many of the bible stories but my favorite are the stories of Job and the story when Jesus said to let the Children come =)

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Job is the Bible Story I can most relate to in my own Christan life, but the story of how Jesus loved us enough to die for our sins when He Himself had done no wrong is The Greatest Story Ever Told.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

my favourite bible passage is II Kings 18:27

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar
    I like Esther and Ruth. The courage of one, whose fate was unknown, and the loyalty of the other towards her mother-in-law. Not even the hardest circumstances could or would shake her.

I respect those 2 women of great faith. Without Esther, there may not be any Jews this day, and without Ruth, Jesus would never have been, and we would be eternally damned in Hell.
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

My favorite book has to be Ecclesiastes because of the whole message of nothing in this world lasts. I also like the story of Ehud in Judges 3:12-30 just because it is different and I found it pretty odd yet funny.
    And I said: "What is written, sweet sister,
    On the door of this legended tomb?"
    She replied: "Ulalume -Ulalume -
    'Tis the vault of thy lost Ulalume!"

Life's an illusion. YellowCrayola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    Job is the Bible Story I can most relate to in my own Christan life, but the story of how Jesus loved us enough to die for our sins when He Himself had done no wrong is The Greatest Story Ever Told.
    I concur. You couldn't have said it any better.
    "...You can say anything you want, yessir, but it's the words that sing, they soar and descend.... I bow to them... I love them, I cling to them, I run them down. I bite into them, I melt them down.... I love words so much... The unexpected ones....The ones I wait for greedily or stalk until, suddenly, they drop..." -Pablo Neruda

Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    All the bible is good
    Seriously, I like daniel's story, the four gospels of the new testament, the apocalypse, and some of the letters.
    i also think the four gospels are the best.
    i mean no offence, but i kind of find the old testament cruel, at least to me.
    brought up to believe in atheism, i had a lot of wonders reading The Bible.

In Arden with a book
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelheid
    I like Esther and Ruth. The courage of one, whose fate was unknown, and the loyalty of the other towards her mother-in-law. Not even the hardest circumstances could or would shake her.
    Though I don't dispute the worthiness of these two stories, I've never been able to relate to them as much as some other Biblical women. Rebekah is one of my favorites, for example. She's kind and hospitable, two major virtues in the Old Testament. Additionally, though, even as a girl she is courageous and opinionated. She is willing to go to a strange man in a strange land, despite what everyone expects and wants her to do. In Rebekah, the promises given to Abraham are renewed: "Sister, may you grow into thousands of myriads; and may your descendants gain possession of the gates of their enemies!" (Gn 24:60) Her cleverness--some would say deceit--insures that these promises are fulfilled. Finally, Isaac married Rebekah, and "In his love for her Isaac found solace after the death of his mother Sarah." (Gn 24:67). Love is implied in most of the partriarchs' relationships, but only here is it so explicitly and wonderfully expressed.

Admittedly, I'm extremely fond of Judith's story, too...

fated loafer
    I enjoyed the idea of Jesus turning water into wine. What an appealing ability to have. If a University student were to possess such a well sought after asset they would be the prize of the party. Though, and I only say this so as to avoide offending anyone and getting kicked off, it should be supposed that Jesus did not turn water into wine so that the ancestors could have a binge drinking party and make ancient beerbong sacrifices to God.

In Arden with a book
    Sure, he wasn't making wine for purely hedonistic reasons, but it does show that the guy had a sense of humour and fun. I like this story, too, because it shows that side of Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by pea
    i also think the four gospels are the best.
    i mean no offence, but i kind of find the old testament cruel, at least to me.
    brought up to believe in atheism, i had a lot of wonders reading The Bible.
    Your right the Old Testament was cruel,but no cruler than the fulfilment of their prophecy in the Testament when they nailed Christ to the cross.
    Do you think so?

Oh yes,and don't you think it a gift of God that Wonders never cease?
    Last edited by okmit; 10-13-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast