Thread: Winesburg, Ohio!

Winesburg, Ohio!

Ok . . . . this is the Winesburg, Ohio thread. Seeing as how there haven't been any threads created for Anderson yet, this one can be diverse.

We can talk about favorites - characters, themes or happenings. Any questions or thoughts are welcome here!

Blog Entries
    It's been a couple of years since I've read it, but I recall enjoying a number of the stories. If I can pull out my edition, I'm sure I will recall some of the stories. Why the big interest in Anderson, Shoutgrace?
    Last edited by Virgil; 08-23-2006 at 10:47 AM.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Not so much a big interest as it is a recent fancy.

I (some way or another) came into possession of Winesburg, Ohio and decided that I could do worse than to plough through it.

A couple of things very briefly . . . I was suprised at how definite and sharp the break was between the "grotesque" chapters and the last two (which were significantly changed in style and rhythym).

Also, I found it so interesting (read funny or weird or strange) how so many of the "grotesques" featured character (a) going to (place) and sitting down (whether on a log, chair or whatever).

I was orginally compelled to read it after noticing in the introduction that Anderson is considered such a major influence on the "great" American authors (Steinbeck, Hemmingway, Faulkner, etc).
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

I read "I'm A Fool". was one of the best short stories i ever read. i plan to read the Ohio book soon because of it. by the way i am new here. i am wondering where to talk to people. Not many posts on this guy. but i also like charles dickens and im sure that some people would like to talk about him.