Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is literature dead?

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    If you want some great literature that's been published in the last 20 years, I suggest Umberto Eco. He has published both fiction and nonfiction. I havn't read his work yet, but most of the 3rd year students in my course (only a 3 year course) are fanatic about him. I respect these guys opinions alot. Here's what it has to say about him in 'About the Author' in Foucault's Pendulum :

Umberto Eco has an international reputation as a philosopher, historian and literary critic. His first novel, The Name of the Rose, was a bestseller throughout the world. A professor at the University of Bologna, he lives in Milan.
    Has anyone read Eco? If you have, what do you think?
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I'm a new creature on board

I live in country where many of the great classics are not so familiar and popular, and I suppose all of you were reffering to the condition in the States or other English speaking countries.

But one thing that I surely think about the classics is that some of them are very hard to understand (the language) and it took alot of efforts for me to understand them, since my native language is not English. But I love them

Originally posted by IWilKikU
    I have. He rules. The Name of the Rose is awesome, you should read it ASAP if you haven't already. Foucault's Pendulum is his second novel, very inferior to the name..., but it's still good. As a semiologist, he's written several essay books on a lot of subjects. Maybe you should check those out. Some are really interesting.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Sweet I will as soon as I can.

Subterranean, where are you from and what classics are you talking about?
    PS. I love your Avatar! (I'm one of those few who DOESN'T think Radiohead has sold out.

Although there has been a decline in the production of quality fiction in the past few decades, I must agree with IWillKikU; just pick of a copy of The Strand before Arthur Conan Doyle was given his monthly slot, the magazine was rafe with "600+ page" rubbish. It was perhaps more populous then, in an age without television, than now. In the end, Danielle Steele writes crap, and shall be remembered as thus; Eco, however, shall be remembered differently.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Such as Poe's. Im from Indonesia

PS. I love your Avatar! (I'm one of those few who DOESN'T think Radiohead has sold out.
    Yes, indeed

Sweet I will as soon as I can.

Hate to disappoint you Britboy, but here in the colonies (i.e. the US) it's very trendy and "cool" to like Radiohead's new pretentious albums. As for myself, I think Radiohead peaked with The Bends.

Uh oh . . . here it comes.

Then it shall come . Radiohead peaked with OK Computer. Everyone knows that. It's a scientific fact (if you believe in such things).
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Navy Nuke
    mmm.... science.... ewww.... radiohead.... ah, well to each his/her own.
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone.
    The people themselves therefore are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

I've just finished reading "The name of the rose" about 30 minutes ago. It's an absolutely amazing book! I really recommend it to everyone... It's just so complex... I'm still trying to figure out a lot of its meanings!

Originally posted by Robert E Lee
    Hate to disappoint you Britboy, but here in the colonies (i.e. the US) it's very trendy and "cool" to like Radiohead's new pretentious albums. As for myself, I think Radiohead peaked with The Bends.
    Britboy!!! HA! I hate to twist your gibblets, son, but I'm a Virginia boy from the good ol' US of A! I liked Radiohead as an American. If ya want to take a gander at my Location, it says Newbold College, UK. College. Boarding college! I'm a southern countryboy from the heart of big game huntin', tobbaca chawin', big truck drivin', flanell shirt wearin', riproarin', redneck America! YEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAA!!!!! And even through my thick southern skull, I can still reckon that Radiohead peaked with OK computer. Everyone knows that, old Hoss! And yes it is trendy and "cool" to like Radioheads new albums. I'll admit that, but thinkin' back to '97 I'm seemin' to 'member all kinds a them music magazines that the kids are all readin' and tearin' out them posters and stickin' em up on yonder walls, well I seems to 'member em going Radiohead bonkers! Every magazine I read that had a 'top 10 albums of the '90s' list had OK Computer right there on it! And have you noticed, even today, how much airplay 'Creep' gets compared to songs off of 'Hail to the Thief'? I don't see what has changed, other than they've pushed the envelope as far as expirimental music goes. They refused to write the same album over and over and over like some other brit-pop bands (oasis! God they suck!). People who LOOOOOVED the bends, and wanted more of the bends are obviously going to accuse Radiohead of selling out cause they aren't writing any more Bends!!!! Get over it!

Thats all I have to say about that.

For more interesting posts on the subject of Radiohead's commercialization, see thread, 'Radiohead and 1984' by IWilKikU in the George Orwell forum.

God, give me pretentious Radiohead over bloody Coldplay any day.

They refused to write the same album over and over and over like some other brit-pop bands (oasis! God they suck!).
    Originally posted by Dick Diver
    Careful, watch it you two.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Britboy!!! HA! I hate to twist your gibblets, son, but I'm a Virginia boy from the good ol' US of A! I liked Radiohead as an American. If ya want to take a gander at my Location, it says Newbold College, UK. College. Boarding college! I'm a southern countryboy from the heart of big game huntin', tobbaca chawin', big truck drivin', flanell shirt wearin', riproarin', redneck America! YEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAA!!!!! And even through my thick southern skull, I can still reckon that Radiohead peaked with OK computer. Everyone knows that, old Hoss! And yes it is trendy and "cool" to like Radioheads new albums. I'll admit that, but thinkin' back to '97 I'm seemin' to 'member all kinds a them music magazines that the kids are all readin' and tearin' out them posters and stickin' em up on yonder walls, well I seems to 'member em going Radiohead bonkers! Every magazine I read that had a 'top 10 albums of the '90s' list had OK Computer right there on it! And have you noticed, even today, how much airplay 'Creep' gets compared to songs off of 'Hail to the Thief'? I don't see what has changed, other than they've pushed the envelope as far as expirimental music goes. They refused to write the same album over and over and over like some other brit-pop bands (oasis! God they suck!). People who LOOOOOVED the bends, and wanted more of the bends are obviously going to accuse Radiohead of selling out cause they aren't writing any more Bends!!!! Get over it!

Thats all I have to say about that.

For more interesting posts on the subject of Radiohead's commercialization, see thread, 'Radiohead and 1984' by IWilKikU in the George Orwell forum.
    '

Creep is from Pablo Honey, which is a pretty bad album.

Oasis rocks. Get over it.
    I hate Coldplay so damn much. The singer moans like a ***** having an orgasm on Clocks, and it sounds so pathetic that I cringe whenever I hear it. Effete music at it's worst.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast