Thread: Today and Yesterday Writers

Question Today and Yesterday Writers

Greetings to all,

One of the purpose that inspired me to look for a Site like this one was just to boost my initiative and creativity, i.e. of writing, so as to reach the degree/level of some of my childhood heroes and heroines (prolific writers) like Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Bronte Charlotte and the rest. Eventually, I now laugh at my yesterday’s foolish imprudent impudence in my dreams and thoughts.

Obviously, though we (past and present writers)’re headed towards one direction but with same purpose and diverse destination. We, present writers, can never ever reach their (past writers) level in writing. It’s proven to me because, whatever, wherever sites you visit, their works are the crowded on it. How is it so? Or is there any transcendental dichotomy between their creativity and that of ours, which cannot be reached? Don’t we have writers of such possession? If yes, why don’t we?

Hello, Goodfella, welcome to the forum.
    Indeed, I have fallen greatly in love with this site, and feel happy that you decided to join us. Also as a fellow writer (among many others on this forum), a lot of literature tends to inspire me, yet does not always appear suitable for entire mirroring of their style, work, etc. Though I, too, tend to focus primarily on the classics for reading material, I find them worthy of much praise, and they intrigue me, but I never attempt to attain the goal of reaching the heights as they did, and as some contemporary writers do in their books.
    Just as each individual seems unique, any art created by him/her also seems unique in its own way. In the past, several writers may have seemed alike in styles, plots, etc., but no one author appear entirely similar. To answer your question, the skepticism of lack of talent for not having the ability to write like others seems incorrect; just as you may not have the ability to mimic another writer, that writer you admire would not have the same talent as you to write in your manner. You, Shakespeare, Dickens, and any of the Brontë sisters have entirely separate thought, grew up in a different culture, up-bringing, literature, era, and inspirations; and the art that may derive from each individual mind seems bound to grace the writing paper in different ways.

Blog Entries
    What mono said is the thing that has inspired almost every member of this forum to register with it, and I am one of them.
    Sincerely, as I too think, God created us and them (past writers) in the same form as human beings but different capability in doing things. So, just do your best in your writing but reaching the level they are is quiet impossible.
    Is it not so Goodfella? Think..
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

All things are possible in writing. Do not think that you cannot measure up to the greats of the past, it is a self-defeating mindset. Did Dickens think that he could be considered in the same class as Shakespere when he was writing his novels for serialization? Probably not.
    Success does not equal greatness, and vice versa. How many of todays best-selling authors will be remembered as "great" down the road? Rowling, Grisham, King? Who can tell.
    Unfortunately, most authors don't have a clue about their place in history until long after they're dead. Don't wait for the afterlife to begin your efforts.
    "I may not be better than other people, but at least I'm different."
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Blog Entries
    Manfred, what you said can be looked at as a fact, as God is a controllar of everything, but I sincerely don't think that way.
    Every body has his own destination in life. So, theirs is greater than ours in writing. Whoever you are,this time, you must use their work before becoming anything in literature present state. But, whose work did they use then?
    Last edited by muhsin; 08-06-2006 at 08:20 AM.
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Quote Originally Posted by muhsin
    Manfred, what you said can be looked at as a fact, as God is a controllar of everything, but I sincerely don't think that way.
    Every body has his own destination in life. So, theirs is greater than ours in writing. Whoever you are,this time, you must use their work before becoming anything in literature present state. But, whose work did they use then?
    I'm sorry Muhsin, but I cannot agree. First of all, this view presupposes a destiny which cannot be altered, one in which all the greats have already existed and to which none of us can aspire. If this is so, the only reason to write is for profit. For most, writing is an art form, and a labor of love, not a money-making venture. It would be nice to support oneself by doing what one loves, of course, but for most, that is not the primary motive.
    It also seems that this viewpoint purports to know the mind of God. How can a mere mortal know that? There may be more in store for you than you believe. God helps those who help themselves.
    By all means, study the greats who came before. However, to believe that you will be second-rate leads to failure.
    You are a LITERARY GIANT! Believe that, and you will surpass your expectations.
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Blog Entries
    Ok. I have now gotten the direction you headed and you wanna me to head.
    One expression you made which sincerely really torched my whole being is that: "How can a mere mortal know that?" I cannot, really I can't, but remember every body has a way of thinking,viewing, forsighting etc every matter/issue. So, don't please blame me over that.
    And also remember. A human mind only thinks the happening of thing that could be possible. e.g, can I say: Oh God, make me a president of United States tomorrow? You see, if I do such prayer, am just westing my time because I know I cannot be since I'm not an American, even if I 'm it's not possible to become as I said in my prayer tomrrow.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Quote Originally Posted by muhsin
    Ok. I have now gotten the direction you headed and you wanna me to head.
    One expression you made which sincerely really torched my whole being is that: "How can a mere mortal know that?" I cannot, really I can't, but remember every body has a way of thinking,viewing, forsighting etc every matter/issue. So, don't please blame me over that.
    And also remember. A human mind only thinks the happening of thing that could be possible. e.g, can I say: Oh God, make me a president of United States tomorrow? You see, if I do such prayer, am just westing my time because I know I cannot be since I'm not an American, even if I 'm it's not possible to become as I said in my prayer tomrrow.
    Of course one's dreams must be realistic; seldom will prayer alone get you to your objective. Hard work is required, and generally sacrifice. But if you have ability, you can never know how far you can go.
    Pray for recognition. It is something that can elude even talented writers.
    --Jean-Jacques Rousseau

We, present writers, can never ever reach their (past writers) level in writing.
    Dealing with questions like these, I usually think of I line that I think was Thomas Merton's: You have to be a saint for your own times. History is filled with great persons, but what is important now is what people do in our own times.

I don't think there's really any point in present day artists worrying about where they rank in the pantheon of great artists - they should just respond to their own vision and urges however they can, and let the rest happen as it will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel A. C.
    Dealing with questions like these, I usually think of I line that I think was Thomas Merton's: You have to be a saint for your own times. History is filled with great persons, but what is important now is what people do in our own times.

I don't think there's really any point in present day artists worrying about where they rank in the pantheon of great artists - they should just respond to their own vision and urges however they can, and let the rest happen as it will.
    You got what I mean my dear I think.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred
    All things are possible in writing. Do not think that you cannot measure up to the greats of the past, it is a self-defeating mindset. Did Dickens think that he could be considered in the same class as Shakespere when he was writing his novels for serialization? Probably not.
    Success does not equal greatness, and vice versa. How many of todays best-selling authors will be remembered as "great" down the road? Rowling, Grisham, King? Who can tell.
    Unfortunately, most authors don't have a clue about their place in history until long after they're dead. Don't wait for the afterlife to begin your efforts.
    They say; Never give up. And so you said, uh?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    This thread reminds me of Swift's "The Battle of the Books". Swift didn't resolve the battle; he showed that the ancients and the moderns had their positive and negative features. I think that that is still a fitting solution to the question.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Can never? Where's the progress on that? Newton saw an apple fell and established the thought on gravity; who would think, years and years after that, we managed to "fight" gravity and walked on the moon? Same thing with literature, I believe. It's very fatalistic to use the word "never"

Sincerely, as I too think, God created us and them (past writers) in the same form as human beings but different capability in doing things. So, just do your best in your writing but reaching the level they are is quiet impossible.
    Muhsin, I agree that God created each indivual uniquely. But using this fact an excuse to limit yourself IMHO, is a flaw.

It’s proven to me because, whatever, wherever sites you visit, their works are the crowded on it.
    This is due to Copyright Laws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    Can never? Where's the progress on that? Newton saw an apple fell and established the thought on gravity; who would think, years and years after that, we managed to "fight" gravity and walked on the moon? Same thing with literature, I believe. It's very fatalistic to use the word "never"

Muhsin, I agree that God created each indivual uniquely. But using this fact an excuse to limit yourself IMHO, is a flaw.
    Well I don't think...actually that Subterranean.
    -S.T COLERIDGE