Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Crime Fiction Lovers! Need help!!

Crime Fiction Lovers! Need help!!

Greetings Everybody!
    I am going to write a research paper, and the topic is the difference between the British (mystery styled, puzzle-ish) and the American (hard-boiled) crime fiction
    and I need a precisely formulated argument. I already gathered tons of sources, but I can't really think of any coherent argument and a statement.
    Can you give me any advice what it should be? Any help is appriciated! Thanks!

im a little puzzled ace---haven't you already articulated the argument? that there is a stylistic difference between the two country's approach to crime fiction?

I wonder too what you mean by "hard boiled?"

your post is also making me think of Jeffery deaver, an American author who writes crime fiction and as they overwhelmingly focus on forensics (at least the Lincoln rhyme books), they are very "puzzle" oriented.
    Last edited by bounty; 03-26-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Thank you for your reply bounty!
    The difference what you have noted is crystal clear, so I forgot to mention that obviously I will include that as a constantly reoccuring argument, but somehow I am looking for some more side-arguments to enrich the basis of the research paper

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I wonder too what you mean by "hard boiled?"
    By hardboiled crime fiction I mean the detective stories starring characers like Philip Marlowe, Mike Hammer, Sam Spade, etc. where there is essentially a lot of violence, gunshots, action, drinking.

I haven't heard about Jeffery Deaver - but the idea you gave me through this is very useful: I think I will start my research paper enlisting the differences, and then to move on how these different approaches are blurred. For instance, one of the more recent Brit' 'tartan noir' for example have a lot more in common with American (hardboiled) crime fiction than the relatively quiet, sensitive, and wordy who dunnits and police procedurals that have traditionally characterised British crime fiction.
    Last edited by AceAless; 03-26-2016 at 09:47 AM.

ace do you think you'd do well to pick a time period to restrict your work?

at the same time, given how easy world travel is, and how small the internet makes the world, I cannot help but think that contemporary crime fiction between the two countries might be more alike than different compared to many decades ago. this might make a good second "thesis."

even then, compare Sherlock holmes to hercule poirot. both were very cerebral and are roughly of the same time period, but while poirot was very fastidious and contemplative, holmes was incredibly active by comparison.

I wonder to the extent differences exist, they can be attributed to national sentiment, especially if you are going for earlier time periods. one views England as a civilized place, and America as a boisterous upstart. one would think literature in general, but perhaps crime literature in particular, might flow from that.