Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well the bad news is..

Registered User literaturerocks's Avatar

well the bad news is..

not that i am looking for an immense amount of sympathy or anything of that sort i wanted to inform all my friends here at the lit net forums that i have broken my big toe! ..however the good news is that now that i cant do anything i cant feel guilty about not going cycling in the nice weather and i can just catch up on some reading. i finished a whole book today! it was nice. however having a broken toe and being on crutches and having to hop around has really opened my eyes to the struggles that disabled people face every day. i truly have a new profound respect for the disabled people of the world. my biggest physical accomplishment of the day was getting myself a bath and taking care of my hygene. so i ask how do some people do this everyday? what immense amount of courage and determination keeps them going? how can people continue on with daily life being in a wheelchair or something of the like. i truly have a new respect for you (if there are any physically disabled people here on the forums) i truly admire your perserverance.
    "Life is a journey, not a destination"

Currently Reading: Catcher In The Rye, Siddartha

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Are you in a plaster cast??
    I had to live in one for six weeks sadly at the time we had a breakout of fleas or ants cant rember which now and they go into my cast..lets just say I had avery very itchy leg for 6 weeks.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

My condolences, mon ami. What I haven't broken in 45 years, probably can't be broken! Hang in there, take it easy, and catch up on your reading! That's what I usually did. And Night is unfortunately right, those casts itch like mad! A coat hanger helps! As for those of us that are disabled, we manage like anyone else. We have our good days and bad, and we survive! Positive thought is a must. Good luck, and I pray you aren't in too much pain.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ach, never mind the toe, it will recover. what about the thing you hit it on? was it valuabe? hope you didn't destroy it (a German saying; no offence, hehehe )
    nah, seriously.. think of it as a chance to have a lie-down and take a break from the rat-race make sure you move around a bit, though, otherwise you might get cramps or your muscles might weaken.. they say it happens pretty fast...
    Last edited by SleepyWitch; 08-02-2006 at 09:44 AM.

I've broken my big toe before and it's a lot more painful than people would think so you most definately have my sympathies. I broke mine a few years ago now and not to depress you or anything, but it still doesn't move the way it used to and like an old woman, when the weather gets bad, it still hurts. Although I can't really complain, my mom actually lost her big toe and half of the second toe and shaved off the top of her foot with a lawn mower when I was a kid, talk about rehibilation. She was in the hospital for 6 weeks and then on crutches for another....I don't know how long, it seemed like for most of my childhood but it was probably only for a couple months so I feel a little guilty about a simple break but I still did do my fair share of complaining.

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Incredible how important a single toe is, isn't it...?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Actually it true about the muscles going funny my ankle has never been the same and I for one blame the cast it mad my musclues go floppy...
    Oh and the stink!
    MY sister fractured her ankle on a trapaline last year and she had a acast for 6 weeks too I think ANy the day h got it off she spent somthing like 5 hours washing it and putting lotion and perfyume on her leg . But she got phsyio after her cast came off and her leg is pretty much as good as new now
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ouch! I am very sorry to hear about your toe! That must be so painful. We never realize how much we use a certain part of our body until it is disabled. I received a really bad sprain back in December - and my ankle is still in pain. I cannot sit on it for more than five minutes without feeling some sort of pain. Please take it easy, and enjoy the time you get to read. Praying for you.

Grace
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Yikes, I apologize to hear of your injury, literaturerocks.
    Unfortunately, I know, one cannot do a lot to treat a broken toe, but mainly promote healing and manage any pain. I surely wish you luck, and only recommend to keep it elevated, promoting circulation, and, now and then, alternating cold and heat therapy for brief periods of time.
    Indeed, as you mentioned, I cannot fathom how some very strong individuals can strive everyday with immensely larger injuries or chronic conditions - it takes a unique bravery, in my opinion, only saddening me when some people literally 'give up' on their health, perhaps due to exhaustion.
    Take care of yourself, anyway, and take care of that toe!

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    Ouch! I hope it gets better quickly!! This week we thought mine was broken as well, though an X-Ray said otherwise. It still hurts though ^_^
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

Blog Entries
    I had an infection in my throat for almost a week. It really robbed my most fav activity: Talking!

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    Oh, wow, that would be hard for me. Talking is my favorite activity too
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

Blog Entries
    literaturerocks, sorry to hear about your toe! amazing how such a tiny little appendage can affect one's mobility. I hope it is healing well. You should give us an update on your crutch skills The only time I remember using them was when I sprained an ankle years ago and it was very awkward.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Aye, you certainly have all my best wishes for recovery, too. I tend to get very easily depressed and all when I'm ill or disabled somehow, and I got no patience at all. However, I do hope you're not that kind!
    Enjoy your new-found free time and get well soon!!

PS: loooots of chocolate helps!!
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Registered User literaturerocks's Avatar
    haha thank you all for your stories and condolences i appreciate them. today i saw the orthopedic doctor and he took my cast off and i can walk!! however not very fast or for very long. but i have some pretty mad crutch skills by now i am quite quick on them. at first it is very awkward to walk but i should be back to my usual highly active self in no more than a few weeks!! the quiet time was nice but much more of not being able to do anything would drive me crazy! i dont know how some of you lasted six weeks! im so glad i can take a normal shower now! anyways i thought id tell you guys of my improvement! again thank you for your concern you guys here are the lit net forums are really great
    "Life is a journey, not a destination"

Currently Reading: Catcher In The Rye, Siddartha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast