Thread: Kant's 'Critique of pure reason'

Kant's 'Critique of pure reason'

Can someone tell me which is the best English translation of the 'Critique of Pure Reason' by Immanuel Kant?

Also, kindly, express your opinion about the book.

Thanks.
    Last edited by caesar; 07-29-2006 at 01:08 AM.
    "Don't need a gun to blow your mind"

Hello, caesar. Firstly, I congratulate you for desiring to possibly read Kant's Critique Of Pure Reason. To answer your question, I have a copy translated by F. Max Müller, and found it very clear, helpful, and complete with footnotes.
    Overall, the book itself I thought far more challenging than the translation. Kant, no doubt, I consider one of my favorite philosophers to read, and I agree with him on things I can understand, but also think him quite difficult to comprehend on occasion. This Critique (as a few Critiques exist of his) explores almost every branch of philosophy: cosmology, existentialism, ethics, ontology, epistemology, religion/spirituality, very little on aesthetics, etc.
    Of his other Critiques, as I mentioned, Critique Of Practical Reason, a very short book, merely verifies some of the teachings of Critique Of Pure Reason, which underwent some criticism; additionally, Critique Of Judgment, a bit longer of a book, I loved, as it explored a lot about aesthetics and teleology. Lastly, he also has a book primarily on ethics, entitled Groundwork For The Metaphysic Of Morals.
    Happy reading!

Registered User literaturerocks's Avatar
    i too bought this book and i have the intention of reading it though i dont remember what translation and i dont think i will hobble over to my bookcase to find out (a broken toe surely has its disadvantages..but then again what advantages does it have?) but i read a little bit of this and find it immensly interesting and look forward to reading it. and mono i will look into those other critiques you mentioned after i read the current one i posses.
    "Life is a journey, not a destination"

Currently Reading: Catcher In The Rye, Siddartha

Thank you Mono.

I first came to know about the ‘Critique of Pure reason’, some years ago, while reading, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, in which there is a reference made to this book. But, it was only after I came across one of your posts, wherein you had recommended this book to someone, that I made up my mind to read this book. I can hardly find time to read anything else other than law books, so I have to be very choosy about the other books on which I am going to invest my precious little spare time. I will go for the F. Max Muller’s translation; even my search on the Internet weighed in favour of this version.
    "Don't need a gun to blow your mind"

I surely wish you both luck, as attempting to understand the book comes with some difficulty. To further map out some of Kant's ideas, I found simply a paper and pen worked for taking notes, as he can sometimes write in an outline style, and each idea leads to the other logically. Nonetheless, any of his works pose a bit of a challenge.
    Perhaps when both/either of you finish, we can discuss it.
    Good luck!

funny you mention those others mono I have the groundings for the metaphysics of morals right next to me