Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: current musical obsession

Question current musical obsession

I go through these phases where I'll listen primarily to one artist or type of music. For example, I went through a serious grunge phase not too long ago and all I listened to was Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Mad Season and Stone Temple Pilots. From there I moved on to The Shins and that led me to the Garden State Soundtrack and that led me to Iron and Wine, Nick Drake and Zero 7, I refer to that as my 'Garden State' phase. From Iron and Wine, I developed a minor interest in folk music with The Wood Brothers, Wailin' Jennys, Michelle Shocked and 10,000 Maniacs. Now I've done a 180 and moved on to Queens of the Stone Age and have listened to little else in the last week or so. This phase hasn't been quite so exclusive as is typical because of all the uploading I've been doing but when I have a choice in music, it's always Queens of the Stone Age.

Do you guys have these musical obsessions from time to time? Do you get stuck in a particular groove where you don't want to listen to anything but one artist or type of music and if so, tell me what your current musical obsession is.

Oh my goodness, my current obsession was Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely. (don't you laugh) I kept on listening the song in Karachi...maybe I was lonely because I was away from my mother, computer, home...

I don't think so that I like this song very much...even Westlife is better than Backstreet Boys but I don't know why, I kept on listening the song during my whole trip...
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Currently Bad Religion and the Dropkick Murphys, simply because they are on their way here in September!!
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yep, I've got a 60s phase at the moment
    thank God there's free internet radio

I don't really have music obsessions when listening to music, I usually listen to things randomly. My obsessions come with what song I've chosen next to learn on my harp. Lately I'd had to force myself to obsess over Dumbo. I played a baby shower last week and the future grandmother requested Baby Mine. That was tough! I had to come up with my own arrangment and I just barely got it ready on time. But I did well. Now my obsession is Irish jigs I want to learn one to create a medley with two others I already know.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    Oh, I love The Shins, Idril!

Right now I'm really into a band called Paramore. There is never a time when I am tired of Eisley. A friend just gave me a few mix CDs and I'm really liking that....tons of emo/indie/oldies stuff.

I also love the Corpse Bride soundtrack. Not the singing, just the piano part. Any soundtrack I'm bound to enjoy somewhat.
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    Oh my goodness, my current obsession was Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely. (don't you laugh)
    Oh, come on! You admit to being obsessed with a Backstreet Boys song and then say we can't laugh, that's not even fair.

Quote Originally Posted by thevintagepiper
    Oh, I love The Shins, Idril!
    You know, the first time I heard them, I was wasn't overly impressed, just mildly interested but after a few listens I decided they were one of the greatest bands ever. I was first drawn to their slower songs, Those To Come, Pink Bullets and the Past and Pending but the rest of it really grew on me.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It kinda sounds like pizza and ice cream, but currently it is The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Third Day. If you guys don't know who Third Day is, they are a Christian band. And well, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are not - pizza and icecream.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Quote Originally Posted by grace86
    It kinda sounds like pizza and ice cream, but currently it is The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Third Day. If you guys don't know who Third Day is, they are a Christian band. And well, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are not - pizza and icecream.
    Oh I love RHCP's song "Californication." Man, I am obsessed with it!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I was also on a Alice in Chains kick not too long ago,but right now I'm primarily listening to Angelo Badalamenti,who does all the composing for the David Lynch films.
    Last edited by Ryduce; 07-26-2006 at 02:04 PM.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey Pensive - I just got RHCP's new album - 28 songs, so I guess that is kind of why I am obsessed right now!!
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idril
    You know, the first time I heard them, I was wasn't overly impressed, just mildly interested but after a few listens I decided they were one of the greatest bands ever. I was first drawn to their slower songs, Those To Come, Pink Bullets and the Past and Pending but the rest of it really grew on me.
    I love the song "New Slang." Pink Bullets is good too...those are actually the only ones I've really heard.

Recently I went through a Rebecca St. James obsession phase....I still love her but I'm not constantly listening to her new CD now.
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

I've never heard of most of these groups. The last CD I got was The Chieftains. I guess you could say I was obsessed with them for a while. Especially when I heard them play Brian Borou's March. I realized I had been playing it wrong!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

In classical music, I tend to have a steady obsession with two particular composers: Frédéric Chopin and Tchaikovsky, though my obsession with Claude Debussy comes and goes, too.

In other styles of music, obsessions with Nick Cave & The Badseeds appear and re-appear now and then, and also with Radiohead, Björk, REM, Mono (the British, not the Japanese band; and no, this has no affiliation with my screen-name), Azure Ray, and Tears For Fears.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Currently a lot of Dire Straits
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast