Thread: Immortality

On an insignificant planet circling a tiny star named 'Sol'.

Immortality

Most people say they don't want immortality- but alot of beliefs say your soul lives forever. In Christianity, for example, you go to Heaven or Hell and your soul goes on for all eternity.

So I'm curious- why is an eternity on Earth terrible, but the idea of an eternity without a body seem like a good thing? Wouldn't you get bored either way?
    And every time I wonder where the world went wrong,
    End up lying on my face going ringy dingy ding dong

And every time I wonder if the world is right,
    End up in some disco dancin all night & day.

Blog Entries
    I don't find the concept of immortality boring. I find the prospect of never growing to be the thing that bores. Given unlimited curiosity, I'm certain I could continue to grow forever, for no matter how long eternity lasts, there will always be something else to learn, or experience, or travel to, or see, or create, or understand.

As far as religion is concerned, if eternity is a valuable thing, and desirable, then what kind of a freakish god would give this gift to the damned? But, if eternal damnation means eternal torment, then what kind of vindictive, scary god would torment the damned for eternity as "punishment that fits the crime" for four-score years of doing evil? So, if there is a god, and if religion means anything at all, shouldn't the reward be immortality while the punishment be instant and eternal non-existance/non-awareness/non-being on any plane or level, whether in material, spiritual, or energy form?
    --Kelly
    ...But if he wants to carry the cat that way, I say, "Let him!" It's not easy being eccentric.
    Samuel Clemens' 70th birthday speech

I think it depends on your religion or your beliefs of life and values.I don't think it's boring either and I believe it can be true in some ways.
    Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you have been ,but also where you are going .

Immortality or eternity in heaven or hell

I don't believe the idea that the soul lives forever in heaven or hell is defined as "immortality". I think what the christians are trying to say is that your soul can actually feel peace and beauty forever. I think the difference between that idea and immortality on earth is that on earth you are still living a humanly life. The life of turmoil, the battle between good and evil that is inherently ours. To go through hundreds of years of this and not get tired or fed up would be pretty difficult. How long would you be able to fight the fight? Also how long would you be able to hold on to your humanity, the part that cares? How long would it take you to realize you are invincible and you can basically do whatever you feel like because the main consequence or judgement has been irradicated. If we had immortals in this world they would most likely be evil because it's the easy way- it's much easier to turn your head away from someone than to save them or help them. Just look at how hard daily life is, whatever situation you are in. Try to imagine doing it for millions of years. Try to imagine that there is no soon absolution, no soon judgement... What would you do if you could do anything you wanted to and yet have to live with your guilt and mind for the rest of your life. Imagine how much you would carry on your shoulders, how it would keep adding up and adding up. Boredom? No. Hard, unrelenting, unpeaceful... this is immortality. Better if you would be able to die and be judged. Shown which side you are to be put into. Not this constant, mind-numbing battle between the two. At least you will have found your side whichever one it may be, at least you will know what is to come. We all have turmoil within ourselves; a forked path in front of us. If we didn't have an end or a destination why would it matter which road we took? Do you not think that this somewhat estimates the scale to which religion has gone in order to create a civilized society. If we did not believe there was an end, something or someone to judge us, there would be chaos. No reason to live by any rules, live for yourself and no one else. Absolute chaos... Hmmm.... it's like law, we have law to keep order, so is that why there's religion or is it just the manifestation of human dreams or desires to matter in the universe? Sorry going off on a tangent... So towards the idea that you would get bored in heaven or hell I think that can be found in if it is the right side for you, if it was your destiny or not or if your were judged correctly. Also there is the belief that once you go to heaven or hell you become warriors or scions of that side so no doubt you'd be extremely busy fighting to succeed in that scale of a battle. Ooookay, if I don't stop now I'll go on forever... Wink, wink!

Blog Entries
    First off, if people were immortal in this world, then, evil would not exist. How could an immortal do another immortal any harm? How could there be chaos between full (CONTENT) and fearless immortals? Peace would exist...Which is good. Next I'd like to point out that because there would be peace, there would be no "bad strife" so to speak. Hence good would only exist. That is to say if you believe, which you should, that peace is a morally good state of being. To reply to the thread starter I'd like to say "no" we would not be bored. I believe boredom is the cause of evil, because it's some sort of obscure outlook or state of being which derives from overweening desire. Can something "full" and "happy" be something contrary to its own nature, boredom is Immortality's___ which can be defined as peace, which can be described as "good"___foil(exact opposite.)

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To me, immortality sounds bad because, if the space programs of Earth can't colonize sometime in the next 4 and a half billion years or so, I'm going to end up part of the biggest barbecue the planet's ever seen.

One notices that many theistic religions (Christianity for certain) refer to an "immortal soul," so I disagree with the posit that some theists aren't channelling the concept of immortality in their beliefs.

I also strongly disagree with the position of lschamotta saying that godlessness equates to inherent lawlessness and chaos. Animals don't worry about divine retribution, but no one hears of pedophilia or wanton violence among the animal kingdom (at least as far as I know; if someone knows of an article somewhere about it, I'd be very intrigued).
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    Immortality. To me, this sounds usual.
    Why should you be curious over what is constant-it's happening for instant. We all grow up always seeing people dying, as from this junture, I think you may experience lots over the concept my daer.
    Question: Who could avoid himself from dying? Nobody(as it is in my belief) what of in yours....thoght I don't actually know but I'm quiet certain the answer is all the same.
    So, stop being curious. Stay calm
    The source of any bad writing is the desire to be something more than a person of sense--the straining to be thought a genius. If people would say what they have to say in plain terms, how much eloquent they would be.
    -S.T COLERIDGE

An eternity in Earth I cannot fathom... simply unimaginable. As far as I'm concerned, I believe in a heaven and hell, and that we will all be judged eventually (Doomsday), and until the "worst part" is over, I will not worry about what is to come after that. Nevertheless, the mere idea of an "eternity" or "immortality" sort of does creep me out.... What is there to experience for "eternity".... that stretches out to literal infinity... nothingness?
    "So fair yet so cold. Like a morning of pale spring, still clinging to winter's chill." - Lord of the Rings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RDraconis
    Most people say they don't want immortality- but alot of beliefs say your soul lives forever. In Christianity, for example, you go to Heaven or Hell and your soul goes on for all eternity.

So I'm curious- why is an eternity on Earth terrible, but the idea of an eternity without a body seem like a good thing? Wouldn't you get bored either way?
    My unwillingness to die makes me want immortality. Is that so wrong?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RDraconis
    So I'm curious- why is an eternity on Earth terrible?

Look at the world today. Don't dream that there'll be cleaner, nicer, cooler, or rommier (rommier = more spaces that is), because with our current living trends, the idea is unlikely. After that, try to ask the question again and I think you'll find your answer.

Love of Controversy rabid reader's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All humanity all immortal seems a terrible idea. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, forever . Think of a world in which Ivan the Terrible had not suffered from mercury poisoning that fateful chess game 1584 C.E. Would anyone every had reigned in the Malyuta Skuratov?The SS still strong. God the shivers are indescribable.

I believe in the immortality of memory. As long as the idea of you is still alive, your essence is still alive. Shakespeare still lives in his sonnets and plays. Aristotle still sits on his rock and teaches us of biology, and algebra, as he once did Alexander, many millenia ago. Plato immortalized Socrates in his Dialogues, his memory and his method remember and utilized to this day. So for me, immortality is earned on Earth and is achievable, but not in the common physical sense of the word, but in the memory of ones beliefs and ideals.
    A tragic situation exists precisely when virtue does not triumph but when it is still felt that man is nobler than the forces which destroy him.
    - Orwell

Read of my Shepherd

What would the world be like if every person would live forever? Some have said that it would be filled with chaos because there would be no ultimate punishment. If one were to commit an offence that forced him or her to live in a cell for literally the whole of eternity death starts to look pretty good. I am sure that much of the same self-interested garbage that occurs now will but with one major exception. If you knew you were going to live forever you might consider what kind of world you wanted to live in say 5000 years from now. You might enact legislation or act in a way that insured you did not live in a whole for a very long time.

I view my existence as a path, and part of what makes that path exciting is the immediacy that death brings. If I knew I had forever I would sit and contemplate (most likely for all eternity) everything I could. In one sense, I would loose what it means to be human, but in another I would know more about my humanity than I ever could now.

I have never done or not done something because I thought I would be punished (as an adult at least). And if I am judged I will be very surprised and a little disappointed in the supreme judge. I do not think that judgment is a contributing factor to the negative aspects of immortality. My own petty self-interest might be.
    "When a man hasn't the courage to kill himself wholesale, he must do so retail."
    Jean-Paul Sartre The Age of reason

assuming the christian version of the afterlife is correct, (which i hope it is), i believe that if our souls go on forever, then wouldn't most of your time be spent reflecting on the choices you've made and the things you experienced in your short time on earth?
    The Vatti Law:

The amount of "Hitler" refrences directly correlates to the number of posts in a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RDraconis View Post

It is indeed interesting to think this way. An eternity can not go with body at all.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.