Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you say goodbye to your first car?

I apologize to hear of your car, Shannanigan, and surely know your pain.
    Luckily, I had very little difficulty in getting rid of my first, and only, car (a little blue 1987 Dodge Lancer - ugly as sin, but in very good condition ), when getting accepted to nursing school years ago; of course, finances had to go elsewhere, and the insurance and rising gasoline costs made driving out of the question.
    Very strange, however, that I come from a family of mechanics and 'car buffs,' who race, know everything about cars and industry, and spend days, weeks, and endless months customizing their cars.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri
    Hey, I was trying to open the link but it took me to this one http://www.bravenet.com/webhosting/bandwidth.html

ugh, sorry about that...its a limited space im allowed to use on that site, I'm getting quite tired of it ...but you can try again, it works for a certain number of visitors and then conks out....bleh...

...edit: I'm going to attach some pics now...though they are not the best ones I guess they'll do...

Mono...I think my biggest fear is that I'll sell this car to someone in a family like yours and they'll pimp it out to the point that I get jealous of it when I see it driving around on this island
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shannanigan; 07-23-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Blog Entries
    how you do you say goodbye to your first car?

I came across this thread and thought I'd bump it up and talk about how I said goodbye to my first car.

I watched mine burn. the thing caught on fire while I was in it. We were going down the road and smelled a burning smell but didn't realize that it was the engine burning. Then my husband gets out of the car, pops the hood and announces, "That's fire"

and the car burned until the fire department got there. Afterward, the hood was up and the engine was a mangled mass of black smoking goo and metal and one of the fireman said something to me about the having someone asses the damage to see if it good be repaired and I thought, "are you serious?" and I said that I didn't see how that could possibly be fixed. People say the strangest things....
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    how you do you say goodbye to your first car?

I came across this thread and thought I'd bump it up and talk about how I said goodbye to my first car.

I watched mine burn. the thing caught on fire while I was in it. We were going down the road and smelled a burning smell but didn't realize that it was the engine burning. Then my husband gets out of the car, pops the hood and announces, "That's fire"

and the car burned until the fire department got there. Afterward, the hood was up and the engine was a mangled mass of black smoking goo and metal and one of the fireman said something to me about the having someone asses the damage to see if it good be repaired and I thought, "are you serious?" and I said that I didn't see how that could possibly be fixed. People say the strangest things....
    Goodness, you could have been hurt. Did you ever find out what caused the fire? Cracked fuel line?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Goodness, you could have been hurt. Did you ever find out what caused the fire? Cracked fuel line?
    they guessed it had something to do with the battery and it was not fixable and I wouldn't have driven it if someone had managed to pull what was left of the engine out and put in a new one. it was a dumb car anyway - whenever I went uphill it emitted a rotten egg odor. I wonder if that could have somehow caused the fire. It's funny now because no one was hurt, but it is kind of scary to think about about what could have happened.

btw: my husband was not my husband at the time - i'm glad he didn't decide to jump ship because I had such a bad car. some people would have.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

My roommate kind of took care of the goodbye for me. My first car was my grandma's old car, a 76 Oldsmoblie that was as big as a tank. It's kind of a long story how this came about but she ended up stealing my car one night and totaled it...and got a DUI and a Hit and Run citation at the same time. When she called me from jail the next morning, she led me to believe I could just go pick it up and drive it home but when we got to the impound lot, we realized that car wasn't going anywhere. I took all the stuff out of it and said goodbye right there in the lot. Those were fun times.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    um........yeah..........I think I shot my first car when I was done with it.......Ahh, sweet memories.........

Bought my first car (a magnificent example of Detroit engineering - the 1964 Ford Falcon) for 200 dollars from the “Kar Korral” in San Angelo, Texas in 1978. Sold it a year later to some dude for 250 dollars. I think that my fifty dollar windfall was due largely to the self-installed Mexican blanket interior.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12