Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: top ten philosophy books

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcrusader95 View Post
    ... his biography would make for a much clearer understanding of his views so i will have to see about getting that at some time.
    It's short, easy, and there's a penguin. It's definitely on my reread list, so if you fancy getting it and launching a discussion I'll join in. Should interest literary types as he was getting so weighed down by all that hard philosophy that he had to find something to lighten his soul - Wordsworth and the other romantics brought him back from the edge.

The stoics are very interesting, but you musn't skip Socrates, Epicurus, the Cynics and the skeptics! Pierre Hadot's "What is Ancient Philosophy?" is a great intro. to all this gang, not a difficult read either (amazingly, for a French philosopher
    Last edited by mal4mac; 11-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Registered User Irishcrusader95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    It's short, easy, and there's a penguin. It's definitely on my reread list, so if you fancy getting it and launching a discussion I'll join in. Should interest literary types as he was getting so weighed down by all that hard philosophy that he had to find something to lighten his soul - Wordsworth and the other romantics brought him back from the edge.

The stoics are very interesting, but you musn't skip Socrates, Epicurus, the Cynics and the skeptics! Pierre Hadot's "What is Ancient Philosophy?" is a great intro. to all this gang, not a difficult read either (amazingly, for a French philosopher
    thanks for the suggestions, just so i'm clear should i get his autobiography or the one written by Richard Reeves (2008)?
    "the only conquests made without regret are those over ignorance"
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Irishcrusader95 View Post
    thanks for the suggestions, just so i'm clear should i get his autobiography or the one written by Richard Reeves (2008)?
    I was referring to his autobiography. That said, Reeves, does look interesting. I'd start with the autobiography, and if (as is likely) you want to read more, why not try Reeves? Thanks for pointing it out, I might read it myself...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678