Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 250 of 305 FirstFirst ... 150200240245246247248249250251252253254255260300 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 4575

Thread: What are you eating/drinking right now?

4 Aspirin and water.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear. Yes I remember you saying that you wasn't fond of food, not a foodie - such a shame, food is a great joy. Maybe you will change your mind over time?
    In time you will find your taste buds diminish along with hair, memory, agility etc etc, but as long as you still enjoy wine women and song, food is among the more expendable of life's enjoyments.
    I have just eaten a plate of noodles and am now enjoying a bottle of red wine from Languedoc 2008 with a fancy label that reads Le Pressoir Grande Reserve Cuvee Speciale. It's very nice but at £5.99 a bottle it could never live up to its description.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    In time you will find your taste buds diminish along with hair, memory, agility etc etc, but as long as you still enjoy wine women and song, food is among the more expendable of life's enjoyments.
    I have just eaten a plate of noodles and am now enjoying a bottle of red wine from Languedoc 2008 with a fancy label that reads Le Pressoir Grande Reserve Cuvee Speciale. It's very nice but at £5.99 a bottle it could never live up to its description.
    Ah, I trust you in these matters, but I hope you are wrong, I hope I still love food as well when I am a little older, but I take your point. I know what you mean with the wine labels, I'm sucked into failing for the obviously loaded description every time - "produced in the lazy, sun-kissed vineyards of the south of France, in the traditional, time old method, this wine is full of fruity hints of ..." that's it, bought!

Just finishing off a Black Sheep Bitter...

[QUOTE=Neely;974608]Ah, I I hope I still love food as well when I am a little older, QUOTE]

Yes but you will, in all probability, be a whole lot fatter. The question we must ask ourselves is ...'is all this food really necessary?' Think ahead to when you are a rotund 50-year-old resigned to watching television chefs encouraging you to become even fatter. As for myself, my eyes glaze over at the thought of the number of cookery programmes on TV even though I have given up on the medium.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm plannin' on a little Wild Turkey with splash of spring water. . .
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    A packet of...and two tins of...
    A packet of...with two tins of
    Well, at least Brian is meeting his recommended daily allowance of iron leaching into his diet!

Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    I'm plannin' on a little Wild Turkey with splash of spring water. . .
    Aye, another fan of gobble juice!

As for me:
    Spinach leaves doused with olive oil and a smattering of sunflower seeds, a hunk of sharp provolone cheese and a bottle of Chianti. Nothing too fancy - "Bolla" "Casa Fondata Nel 1883" along with other high society wording on the label.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Ah, I I hope I still love food as well when I am a little older

Yes but you will, in all probability, be a whole lot fatter. The question we must ask ourselves is ...'is all this food really necessary?' Think ahead to when you are a rotund 50-year-old resigned to watching television chefs encouraging you to become even fatter. As for myself, my eyes glaze over at the thought of the number of cookery programmes on TV even though I have given up on the medium.
    No, no, no - I'll always hover around my ideal weightish (eleven and a half/twelve stone) because I live firmly by the concept of balance - my only real weakness is beer but I'm working on it.

Food for me is like everything else; something that should uplift, something that should be a joy, not a pain, it should be wholesome and fresh as possible, in short it should be quality. I'm not necessarily talking about all the fancy restaurant business, I'm not into all of that, just good, honest food, whenever possible.

There's not much joy to be found in microwave burgers or tomatoes which have been shipped 800 miles and taste of water - if you ask me. I want to eat good food, and drink good drink, just as I want to read good literature and listen to good music. I refuse to have it any other way.

This does not mean that every meal has to be a big complicated affair. There's nothing wrong with a sandwich, a jacket potato or a tin of beans here and there, perfectly fine, but even these things can be transformed by throwing a few herbs on there or using proper bread as opposed to that limp plastic stuff. Eating well doesn't have to be a pain nor does it require that much more effort, but, just like reading or listening to music, or drinking, that little extra effort more than pays off in the long run. So come on Brian get with it!

Just finished some freshly squeeze orange juice, very nice and refreshing. That'll do for breakfast today as I'm eating out later. I'm going to quickly knock up some bread before I go out though - simple see?

...my only real weakness is beer but I'm working on it.
    Just finished some freshly squeeze orange juice, very nice and refreshing.
    The day a man swaps beer for orange juice it's time to hand in his dinner pail. After all, you are too old to join the boy scouts and it could be the first step to vegetarianism or some weird religious sect such as Rosicrucianism.
    Now as a literary man I know you are more Rimbaud than Rambo but drinking orange juice could seriously dent your image.
    As for food, I was once watching a TV programme in which Jayne Fonda was teaching a class of fatties how to exercise. When one of them said that she was hungry, Fonda replied: "Put it out of your mind. Food is not an issue."
    I never thought much of her as an actress but, bodywise, she had it all in the right places.

Ha, ha, yes but the orange juice came at about 9.30am! There is a fine line between a chap enjoying quality ale and being an alcoholic, and I intend to be on the right side of it...My rough rule of the thumb is the 12 o' clock rule; drink after, and not before it, and life then is relatively fine.

In terms of my bread I could not be more happy because it turned out to be perfect. I have tried to do bread for ages and have now, thanks to the wonderful Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, got it right. I've just finished off the rest of the loaf with a bit of cheese and salad and it is all good stuff. Get baking bread everyone - it is essential that you do so. It will make you happy.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Right now me head is reelin from two pints of "Ye old Ale" the latest handcrafted ale from Carlyles's Brewery n Rocckferd illnoise
    sorry i am having tuble tiping at 9.8%. allso had on4 ovv thayer beer bratverst

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

[QUOTE=Neely;974931] There is a fine line between a chap enjoying quality ale and being an alcoholic, QUOTE]

Is there? I haven't noticed it.

I’ve made it a rule never to drink by daylight, and never to refuse a drink after dark.
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Right now me head is reelin from two pints of "Ye old Ale" the latest handcrafted ale from Carlyles's Brewery n Rocckferd illnoise
    sorry i am having tuble tiping at 9.8%. allso had on4 ovv thayer beer bratverst

Currently I'm having a handful of black and rasp berries.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Right now I'm eating an egg salad and drinking an excellent white wine from the Chateau Saint-Jean-Des-Graves: vintage 2008. Very reasonably priced at £7.69 a bottle. I will be finishing the comestibles with a packet of roasted and salted savoury mixed nuts and a packet of Hula Hoops.

I have just eaten a plateful of medium noodles and tofu and am finishing off with a packet of salt & vinegar Hula Hoops and a Cotes du Rousillon 2009 wine.
    Although only a year old, it is quite acceptable and one cannot complain at £5.99 a bottle

I have just eaten a plateful of medium noodles and tofu and am finishing off with a packet of salt & vinegar Hula Hoops and a Cotes du Rousillon 2009 wine.
    Although only a year old, it is quite acceptable and one cannot complain at £5.99 a bottle
    I hear Cotes du Rousillon, the 2009, and salt and vinegar Hula Hoops partner well.

I'm thinking of having a class of red wine with my bath, as I've got some that needs drinking, open from yesterday, but in truth I would prefer the bottle of Black Sheep Bitter instead. Perhaps I'll just have a wee bit of the wine then I can have both?